A unique stringed instrument

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

A unique stringed instrument

Post by Uncle Al »

Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A unique stringed instrument

Post by Big and Bashful »

Wow! what an instrument! not easy to take on a flight I suppose, although I bet that wasn't an issue when the thing was invented!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

There is a large group hereabouts called the Irish Baroque ensemble who give concerts of that sort of stuff. I went to one and to my surprize there were TWO such instruments in the back row. They gave a very sonorous base to the sound produced and looking at them they are a lot less bulky than conventional full-size orchestral double-basses to hump around.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

They're quite often seen in baroque orchestras. It's the set of sympathetic strings that makes them so resonant. I first saw one at a performance of Monteverdi's 1610 Vespers in Oxford. Very memorable.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

A very enjoyable instrument for sure. The fellow playing seemed to be enjoying it.
large and bulky but adds much to the music.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:36 pmA very enjoyable instrument for sure. The fellow playing seemed to be enjoying it.
large and bulky but adds much to the music.
The Baroque period was a magnificent one to be sure, and it's celebrated altogether wrongly when the music is played by a Romantic-era full orchestra. The period was full of these sweet little instruments, and that needs to be preserved in historically-informed performances so the music can truly shine.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

crfriend wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:20 pm The Baroque period was a magnificent one to be sure, and it's celebrated altogether wrongly when the music is played by a Romantic-era full orchestra.
But it's that type of performance that's the rarity, now that there are so many orchestras and other groups specializing in music of the 17th-18th Centuries -- and craftsmen making instruments for them. I can't remember the last time I heard a symphony orchestra playing the Brandenburg Concertos and I'm grateful for that....