Pet Peeves:

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pet Peeves:

Post by Coder »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:14 am They are great at filtering out drinks, a large majority have scared up brick work in the middle from people attempting to Duke's of Hazzard launch over the center area.
I attended a roundabout planning meeting (they are putting in a new one in our area) and the center brick section can be designed so that large trucks who can't make the turn have a way to go through the intersection... kinda tells you they are making them too small in the US. I love them as I have a small car with a low center of gravity :D
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:14 am
JennC03 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:22 am Someone coming for a visit and asking if you have a bathroom?
Nope out house is out yonder.
That is a matter of fact where I live, with the extra proviso for males: "If you just want a pee, find a tree".

I suppose I have developed a few peeves, common as one gets older:
  • Putting food in the fridge that is uncovered.
  • Holding the fridge door open longer that absolutely necessary.
  • Turning taps off tighter than required (thus compacting the seals).
  • Leaving the toilet seat down in winter nights, only to be covered in dew or frost in the morning.
  • Leaving the toilet seat up in summer, only to let frogs get in.
  • Asking me to carve a roast when they only have blunt knives.
  • People driving over hoses, stuffs them in no time.
  • People saying something was decimated when it was totally destroyed.
  • People offering to wash the dishes and not doing a thorough job. I had a priest help me once and I had to remind him that he wasn't doing baptisms.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:16 pm The very best jokes are the ones that the audience doesn't immediately "get", but understand it some several minutes after the moment of delivery has passed.
That sort of humour would go well in this arid country.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

misha, glad you have finally discovered roundabouts ( all one word ). They are surprisingly effective. There are two rules, "give way to traffic entering the roundabout" and "give way to traffic already on the roundabout". Over here it is the latter. Since we drive on the left the rule can also be stated "give way to traffic from the right". The only test is when say, three motorists arrive at the roundabout but none of them are actually on it - one motorist then needs to take the decision to go. If you want to get your mind around roundabouts then look at this one https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/e ... %20circle.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

There was even a song written about roundabouts when they were first introduced in the 1930s. Round the Roundabout.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

In the US, the rule is that traffic in the roundabout has right-of-way. The nice thing is is that if it's entering from the opposite direction and you can safely get into the roundabout at the same time it's prefectly legal. This is what makes them so effective as junctions -- vastly better than signalled intersections. They just demand attention to detail, which is getting less and less common these days.

Peeves? I'm on the record about the "loose" vs "lose" problem so much that when I see it done I'm tempted to lose my temper and loose the dogs of war.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I wish more people would use this "Safety Device" when they drive :|
(from 5 years ago)
State trooper makes PSA for ‘pretty incredible’ turn signal

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

People taking forever in the bathroom knowing there's other people who have to use the bathroom in the house.Especially having a house with one bathroom.

Giving attitude when someone off the internet makes you mad.

Lying.I can't stand someone lying to me.

Slow interstate drivers.

Someone cutting out in front of you to only go 5mph.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Farmers who drive their tractors on the highway at 15 miles and hour when the speed limit for that stretch is 55 MPH. Yes I know that most farm tractors can not do more than 20 mph but they should at least pull off the road every so often, so that traffic can pass and then they can drive on the road until traffic backs up again. Yesterday I was in a traffic jam that was at least 1 or more miles long all because some butt hole of a farmer would not show some courtesy and allow traffic to pass once in a while. He drove for about 10 miles before he turned off to his field so I was behind him for about 40 minutes. The traffic from the other direction and yellow lines in the road did not allow anyone to pass him. :thumbdown: :censored:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 pm Farmers who drive their tractors on the highway at 15 miles and hour when the speed limit for that stretch is 55 MPH. Yes I know that most farm tractors can not do more than 20 mph but they should at least pull off the road every so often, so that traffic can pass and then they can drive on the road until traffic backs up again. Yesterday I was in a traffic jam that was at least 1 or more miles long all because some butt hole of a farmer would not show some courtesy and allow traffic to pass once in a while. He drove for about 10 miles before he turned off to his field so I was behind him for about 40 minutes. The traffic from the other direction and yellow lines in the road did not allow anyone to pass him. :thumbdown: :censored:
Here in Scotland if you have a tail of more than 10 vehicles stuck behind you, you can be prosecuted, which is good!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Tractors traditionally had a max. speed of 26Mph, but the later generation of central-console mega-tractors seem to achieve 30Mph plus, but the tail-back law mentioned by B&B applies here also.
Fortunately most of our single-carriageway National roads have continuous driveable hard shoulders on which slow vehicles mostly travel, so tailbacks aren't a problem. When overtaking a vehicle rolling along the hard shoulder it is courtesy to give them a quick emergency flash as a 'thank you'.

Since 1990 and the building of our current M-way network the farmers have had their say in the re-designation of certain dual carriageway roads to M'way status, with corresponding elevated speed limits....Tractors aren't allowed on M-ways, so the Agricultural lobby has seen to it that some M'way standard dual carriageways remain just that, so they can access them with their mega-tractors. A case in point is my own route to Dublin, which is the N7....30 miles of 3-4 lane dual carriageway with grade-separated junctions & overpasses. A motorway, but with 'N' status and a 100Km/h limit on it, too.
This was largely ignored until the arrival of average speed cameras last year. Police state!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

When someone invites you to dinner and tells you we're going to eat at 2pm only for you not to eat until 6pm.I remember Moon's mom and step-dad use to do this.Then after we ate ,had dessert we were ready to go and they'd all ask us what the rush was after being at their house all day.
JHAWK

Post by JHAWK »

MY biggest pet peeve is when someone says sorry we can't help you our computer is down.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 pm Farmers who drive their tractors on the highway at 15 miles and hour when the speed limit for that stretch is 55 MPH. Yes I know that most farm tractors can not do more than 20 mph but they should at least pull off the road every so often, so that traffic can pass and then they can drive on the road until traffic backs up again. Yesterday I was in a traffic jam that was at least 1 or more miles long all because some butt hole of a farmer would not show some courtesy and allow traffic to pass once in a while. He drove for about 10 miles before he turned off to his field so I was behind him for about 40 minutes. The traffic from the other direction and yellow lines in the road did not allow anyone to pass him. :thumbdown: :censored:

We've had that happen once and a State Trooper flew down the road and pulled the tractor over.The tractor had the entire road slammed with cars.

Now for the most part the tractors pull over and let us go by.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

JHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:15 am MY biggest pet peeve is when someone says sorry we can't help you our computer is down.
I hate when that happens and they tell you to call them back in like 10-20 minutes and it's still down.