Pet Peeves:

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Pet Peeves:

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:52 pm In our frequently muggy conditions on this 'Island of Eternal Sun' unlit vehicles are a blxxdy menace.
Lights on in inclement weather is enshrined in law here. I was referring to bright sunny days where visibility is essentially unrestricted (save for the monster truck immediately in front of you).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Here in Scotland I would say that on a dry bright day a few cars might have headlights on, not many. In poor weather a lot more will. In poor light it is annoying that many folk rely on their day running lights. All very good apart from the fact that the modern day running lights are only at the front, no red lights at the back. I prefer the old Volvo day running lights that were all round, 21 watt bulbs front and back. When I turned my sidelights on they got dimmer!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Drivers with fog lights on in clear weather. The rear red ones can be really bright and dazzling.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Sinned wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:15 pm Drivers with fog lights on in clear weather. The rear red ones can be really bright and dazzling.
A pet hate of mine, this one. Also illegal but the police aren't interested, they are too busy persecuting drivers for other trivial offences.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Living in a 'less developed' country we enjoy a degree of latitude in traffic behavior borne of necessity; but that same laxness allows vehicles with mega lumen led brackets -- stadium blinding; un-aimed, and with macho drivers proclaiming their superior manhood by lumen count. This pacifist is might sometimes be ready to test very a very violent response if not so fully engaged in keeping my own body intact.

The flip side here, is the common practice of driving without lights; especially motorcycles at night; and walking in dark clothing. Sadly, it is usually not a death-wish, but poverty.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

One of my biggest pet peeves is petting my dog Rufus without asking.

Today while we were out having a family day Moon and Amber went shopping.Since I had Rufus I was unable to bring him in any stores so we walked around a park.There were lots of homeless people there.One guy decided to walk right towards us and stick his hands down to pet Rufus without asking me if he could first.There was something about this guy that Rufus didn't like and ended up biting him.

I asked the guy did he get you? Yeah he got me good.I'm sorry sir he bit you.Guy said I should've left him alone.

That's correct sir you should've.You never force your way into a dog's space.This places the dog in defense mode and he becomes super protective not just of his territory but of his owner.In the two years I've had Rufus he has never bit anyone.I guess the guy learned when blood was drawn you don't invade a dog's personal space.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Today's peeve, well peeves:
My house has got fleas. (Thanks cats!) hopefully the pack of flea bombs will arrive today and I can do something about it.

Peeve number 2: having to pick, order and then prepare the ales for a real ale festival having just found out that my liver is not fit enough to drink anymore.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Oh B&B, sorry about the brewing. I was told that as a diabetic I shouldn't drink alcohol. I still do but keep to two or three "tinnies" a week, the odd glass of wine or port. A can of lager could last me three nights, kept in the fridge in between sups. I am not a spirit person as I either do not like them or they disagree with my metabolism.

As for cats, we have 6 but they are all house cats and we don't have fleas so you are unlucky there. If they go outside then they are more likely to pick them up.
Last edited by Sinned on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

a NON-PET peeve: Restaurants with QR codes instead of menus. :evil:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

People who think they can walk right up too you and then stick their hands on your dog deserve to be bitten. I have owned dogs for a lot of my life and currently have two in my house right now they however are my daughters, both very love able. One is a poodle and the other is a VERY large German Shepard. Both will if they feel like they or their masters including me are in any perceived danger will attack the person who is getting in their space.
We do everything in our power to prevent this by having warning signs all over the property. We do not allow them to be free roaming even though I have 50 acres for them to run in. they are mostly indoor dogs.
They are taken on long walks around the property at least once a day and have a doggy door that leads to a locked completely fenced it yard for them. So they are not going to bite anyone who does not deserve it!! :rock:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't recognise QR codes. They just look like a box with squiggles in them to me. Never used them.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:14 pmI don't recognise QR codes. They just look like a box with squiggles in them to me. Never used them.
I know what they are, and I know what they're used for. However, I do not carry the technology required to use them.

This causes some hilarity when I ask for a menu in a restaurant and am pointed to a QR blob, at which point in time I'll produce my antique flip-phone and indicate that I can't read the thing. A printed menu usually follows pretty quickly and I'll tell the first joke. There is no percentage in being sullen about the matter. It's simply a matter of, "If I don't know what's on offer I can't very well order anything, can I?"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:17 pm People who think they can walk right up too you and then stick their hands on your dog deserve to be bitten. I have owned dogs for a lot of my life and currently have two in my house right now they however are my daughters, both very love able. One is a poodle and the other is a VERY large German Shepard. Both will if they feel like they or their masters including me are in any perceived danger will attack the person who is getting in their space.
We do everything in our power to prevent this by having warning signs all over the property. We do not allow them to be free roaming even though I have 50 acres for them to run in. they are mostly indoor dogs.
They are taken on long walks around the property at least once a day and have a doggy door that leads to a locked completely fenced it yard for them. So they are not going to bite anyone who does not deserve it!! :rock:
Rufus never bites' has growled at me and shown teeth when I was playing with him but he's never bit me not once in the whole two almost 3 years I've had him.I know what sets him off and I also know when he's having a really crappy day. Yes dogs are just like us and can have bad days too. This guy proceeded to walk right up to Rufus stick his hands down and start petting him right away. Then seemed upset when Rufus bit him.I don't mind anyone petting my dog but ask first so that I can prepare my dog and he's not startled. I think the guy really startled Rufus and he felt the man was a threat to me so he did everything in his power to get the man to move on. Another guy walked by.He never touched Rufus not once and Rufus was barking up a storm at him.I told the man I was sorry he said Ma'am don't be that's a very good dog you have there to be so protective over you for being just a little guy.I said yes I know but he's already bit someone and I don't want him to bite you. He said if he bites me I've done something to deserve it and he's just protecting his owner. Makes you simply think about what he was getting at.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Fred in Skirts » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:17 pm

I have owned dogs for a lot of my life and currently have two in my house right now they however are my daughters, both very love able,,,
Fred, I have to thank you for a small typo -- but your daughters might not! :lol: :lol:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:36 am
by Fred in Skirts » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:17 pm

I have owned dogs for a lot of my life and currently have two in my house right now they however are my daughters, both very love able,,,
Fred, I have to thank you for a small typo -- but your daughters might not! :lol: :lol:
I will not show it to her, not if I don't want to be bit!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.