Pet Peeves:

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pet Peeves:

Post by Kirbstone »

Almost all schools here have hefty speed bumps installed in the road outside, so vehicles can only pass at walking speed plus. Some town councils have gone overboard on this and Newbridge, my local nearest town is a prime example. To get anywhere near the town center I need to crash over no fewer than 13 such speed bumps.
This makes me avoid that town whenever possible. Naas, where I work is only 7 miles away and has a few, but just a few, which I can live with.

It is also an unwritten Highway Code law here that Merc. drivers always have priority. I know that, as I've had that pleasure for some 20 years a while back. Nowadays my bulletproof Sweedsteed is more capacious and reliable too & the brake lights work well.

The answer to BMW drivers and that ilk is to drive a Land Rover. Its bent metal bumpers are a distinct advantage at roundabouts &c and that confers a priority of its own. In my childhood/youth we used to enjoy the fairground dodgems.....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Beware, though. A lot of the BMW drivers have changed to Audis. I once got a lift from a woman friend in her BMW. She drove impeccably and with consideration for others. I asked her if she had read the handbook. If you are REALLY unlucky you could meet a 4x4 BMW with a personal registration. In multi-storey car barks the bays are usually in groups of 3. Every single group has a huge 4x4 in the middle bay with barely enough room for anyone else. They should have special car parking areas for these monsters - and for their vehicles too.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:04 am Every single group has a huge 4x4 in the middle bay with barely enough room for anyone else. They should have special car parking areas for these monsters - and for their vehicles too.
At least in the USA, parking decks/garages have "compact cars only" sections with wider parking spots further up the deck. Inevitably a giant SUV will park in one of these compact spots...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:57 amAt least in the USA, parking decks/garages have "compact cars only" sections with wider parking spots further up the deck. Inevitably a giant SUV will park in one of these compact spots...
Well, why do you suppose they label the spots "compact cars only" if not to attract the Stupid Urban Vehicle driver.

Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that the only way to deal with that particular idiocy is to require special ratings on licenses that allow monster trucks [0] to be driven, make that rating trivially easy to lose, and expensive to get. And if you park your status-symbol of a testosterone truck so it spans parking spaces you lose (1) your rating and (2) your T-truck through civil forfeiture (Thanks for that tool, Uncle Joe!).

[0] Handy measurement: If I cannot see over the thing standing next to it in heels, it's a monster truck. The casual reader should be reminded of (1) my height (I am not short) and (2) precisely how common these idiot vehicles are.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:27 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:57 amAt least in the USA, parking decks/garages have "compact cars only" sections with wider parking spots further up the deck. Inevitably a giant SUV will park in one of these compact spots...
Well, why do you suppose they label the spots "compact cars only" if not to attract the Stupid Urban Vehicle driver.

Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that the only way to deal with that particular idiocy is to require special ratings on licenses that allow monster trucks [0] to be driven, make that rating trivially easy to lose, and expensive to get. And if you park your status-symbol of a testosterone truck so it spans parking spaces you lose (1) your rating and (2) your T-truck through civil forfeiture (Thanks for that tool, Uncle Joe!).

[0] Handy measurement: If I cannot see over the thing standing next to it in heels, it's a monster truck. The casual reader should be reminded of (1) my height (I am not short) and (2) precisely how common these idiot vehicles are.
Speaking of monster truck Moon and I were coming home from his mom's on Thursday and there was this 4 foot or higher monster truck on the back of a semi.I swear you needed 5 ladders just to reach the door and another to get in.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:04 am ...In multi-storey car barks the bays are usually in groups of 3. Every single group has a huge 4x4 in the middle bay with barely enough room for anyone else.
I once found two that had been parked over the lines, so that if anyone had parked another car in the bay between them there wouldn't have been enough room for anyone to open their doors.  I parked between them with about two inches to spare on each side, then crawled out of the tailgate.  At least one driver and one passenger would have been highly inconvenienced by that.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

Did you get a bunch of dents on both sides, and at least 1 nasty note on the windshield?
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

stephanie53 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:48 pm Did you get a bunch of dents on both sides, and at least 1 nasty note on the windshield?
No, but I did make a note of their registration numbers before I left the car.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

6ft3, of course the ultimate A/B/M recall is the one to change the nut behind the wheel!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Kentucky drivers not using a turn signal , cutting you off then break checking after doing so.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Elisabetta wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:09 pmKentucky drivers not using a turn signal , cutting you off then break checking after doing so.
Sounds like here. At one point the "Intelligent Highway System" signs (which usually have threats from the State Police (aka "road lice") on them were showing, "Use ya blinkah!" I've always favoured "Screw Whirled peas! Visualise using your turn signal!"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:27 pm (2) your T-truck through civil forfeiture (Thanks for that tool, Uncle Joe!).
Ah, that makes myself and now one other soul (Carl) that seems to know who's responsible for that bit of legalized highway robbery.

Everybody else seems to have forgotten.
crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:27 pm [0] to be driven, make that rating trivially easy to lose, and expensive to get
Money will not deter. Those trucks are pushing $100k in some cases, then there are the taxes that go along with the vehicle, taxes based on KBB value.

Which brings me to my pet peeve....

Everyone complaining about inflation.... while living in McMansions with driveways filled with Chelsea Tractors. I look around and it seems the more the cost of living goes up, the more it seems everybody is buying crap they don't need, then complaining about it.

It really grinds my gears when people complain about prices while driving hundred grand autos and living in 3,000 square foot houses in well-to-do subdivisions....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Calling the Post Office to inquire about a package that's was supposed to be delivered today only for you to get a busy signal since 2pm.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm disappointed with a lot of young people.

And this isn't the usual "kids are going to hell" line...

I'm not going to go into it, but let's just say a lot of them remind me of my father, and that doesn't give me any hope for the future.

They want to be free to live their lives as they see fit, they just don't think that freedom should be extended to others they aren't morally aligned with.

*sighs*

Just disappointed is all.... :blue:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Sexist people really irritate me . I know a few unfortunately ..Also intolerance for opposing views is right up there . I write for our local fortnightly paper (volunteer writer that does a column for the past 20 + years) and I've touched on examples of both a few times over that time .

Also bloody tailgaters on the road and drivers overtaking in dumb places. So annoying and dangerous ..Even though I've just commented about intolerance I can understand that road rage happens if it's triggered by dumb drivers not that I've ever road raged myself ...yet .. because my tolerance has held up to date with drivers who got their DLs out of a Corn Flakes box ..