Dressed like a man

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Dressed like a man

Post by Uncle Al »

Don't let the title fool you, WOMEN have been adopting men's clothing for years.
This clip is a bit newer that what Barleymower posted earlier. I thought it best
to place the info here, not deterring from the other posts. This clip SUPPORTS
the fact that women have been 'stealing' men's clothing for centuries.

Now, the tide is turning and the 'stereotypes' created as 'Manley' or 'Feminine'
are concepts CREATED by society, with no regard to history.
"Dressed Like A Man" aka The History Of Masculine Style In Women's Fashion
This 'content creator' has 1.24 MILLION subscribers. Guess more people are interested
in "fashion" that what the "media" leads you to believe :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dressed like a man

Post by Barleymower »

We have established that there is no reason to not dress as you want to, wear whatever you want. Woman have not cared what people think and done whatever they want.
I would like to see 200,000 men in Hyde Park in skirts having a picnic with their friends and family. That would show the world this movement has momentum.
Seriously, I walking around town in a skirt and no-one is batting an eye. I had a long conversation today in carphone warehouse about ... Phones. No issues. Go out there, try it. You won't be disappointed.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I was wearing a black polo shirt, a grey pleated knee length skirt, black socks and black doctor marten shoes. Dressed like a man 8)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

A common theme that pops up here (and I'm "guilty" of spreading it too) is that women steal men's styles as masculinity is looked up to whereas femininity isn't. I'm not denying this is a reason, but watching that video and reflecting on some of the examples she brings up - it sure sounds like a lot of the stealing was a way to participate in activities they (as women) were excluded from. I wonder if that's an aspect we overlook today - or wrongly attribute to approval of masculinity / disapproval of femininity.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I go out in the world dressed as me.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia