Parents Choose

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Parents Choose

Post by Stu »

I was listening to a local radio station while walking my dog today and a trans-related issue was discussed. I know some on here are interested in that, so I relate it for what it's worth. They were interviewing a young person called Ben who was hoping to start out as a comedian. It was clear from the voice that Ben was a girl, or so I thought, but it turned out that he was a "trans man" - a female to male trans person. The interviewer asked Ben a number of questions about the comedy circuit and then about his background. He was born to a Jewish family in Leeds, England, originally called Ruby and transitioned to become a boy in his late teens. The interviewer wondered why he hadn't called himself "Reuben" rather than Ben, as that was much closer to Ruby. Ben explained that, when he came out as trans to his parents - who were not remotely surprised by the way - he asked them what he would have been called had he been born a boy and his father said "Benjamin". It turned out that he had two older female siblings and his father had wanted a son called Ben - so now he would have. He also said he thought it was respectful to parents, who spent time choosing the names of their children, to consult them rather than just casting off the name they were given and choosing your own.

He jokingly suggested that maybe a child's birth certificate should show the name they were to have been given had they been born the other sex. Most people I have asked, including my wife, know what they would have been called. I would have been Suzie or Caroline.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Parents Choose

Post by Ray »

A good story. A lot of respect flowing around which must help in such situations.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Parents Choose

Post by r.m.anderson »

Bravo - politics and religion aside - a lot of Jewish wisdom
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !