Heels

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Heels

Post by Bodycon »

Found this by accident, an x-ray of what your foot looks like in a high heel. I say "your" as I won't be trying any on. 8)

Looks a tad painful.
High heel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Heels

Post by nzfreestyler »

Looks about right - but its not painful. You get used to the position, its more a flexibility thing and a physical endurance scenario of having your foot in that position, which with extensive wearing you get quite used to, and it becomes easy/comfortable over time.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

With much wearing of such shoes also much wearing of the joints of the forefoot ending in osteoarthritis, but each to his own.

John
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

well I've been in heels pretty much daily for a decade now. No issues here... touch wood....

no issues I can feel - other than I do prefer a bit of a heel at least, rather than flat.

NZF
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi NZF
It is amazing what abuses the human body appears to be capable of tolerating and I hope that it holds out for you.
Not because of heels but when my hips made their presence felt it was severe and very sudden.
Certainly not an experience that I'd care to repeat nor would I wish it on anyone else.
You say that you prefer a heel, can you walk in your bare feet comfortably?
Steve.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:07 pm You say that you prefer a heel, can you walk in your bare feet comfortably?
My feet are fairly small so in a 4inch heel which is typical for me (I don't go higher unless its something fancy) - I find them fine all day.

I can stand flat footed - but it is tight in my legs - I also run a lot so my tendons are quite tight. I do have shortening/tension in my archilles mainly due to being in heels, but also from a lot of running.

Typically I walk on tip toes a bit when bare footed if I am honest.

Cheers
NZF
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Thanks for the candid answer NZF.
I worked in retail for a long time and several female colleagues reported being pained by NOT wearing heels.
Admittedly, most had probably spent their whole working lives in heels of one height or another.
I will say that for many, this could create significant mobility issues as they aged.
Most of the younger ones stuck resolutely to flats or very low heels.
The way I see it, breathing can be risky too so we may as well enjoy whatever,
Steve.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:08 am Thanks for the candid answer NZF.
No problem Stevie,
I try and deal with everything in an honest way.

I've had one injury from wearing heels - and it meant a year in flats - or very low heels - so I am focused on looking after myself because I really do enjoy shoes -they make an outfit. Other than one mishap I have had no issues and touch wood no other problems thus far. I think its about being sensible and wearing what you can handle too.

rgds
David
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I do know a woman with issues standing flat footed, partly from heels, part from dancing. She's fairly young, and struggled to walk flat footed around her kids as to not encourage them to stand on their toes all the time and end up with the same condition.

I would highly encourage anyone who wishes to go down the route of wearing heels to make a conscious effort to stretch their calves and Achilles tendons to avoid this. I would also encourage everyone to stretch their whole body more, but that's another topic.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Statement heels for you "Second Amendment" fans:
heels.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Historically, high heels were originally worn by men.

The High-Life: A History of Men in Heels
Persian soldiers were the first to discover that heeled shoes helped their feet stay in their
stirrups and gave them the stability they needed to shoot their bows and arrows.

The modern cowboy boot derives directly from this 10th c. tradition!

By the 17th century, one-inch heels were the norm for Persian riders, on and off their horses.
Since owning horses was a symbol of wealth, heeled shoes came to signify money and power.
Personally, I like the 'cowboy' or Cuban heel on shoes. They look great but, for me,
difficult to find in a affordable price point for my shoe size.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)