The Importance of Punctuation

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Importance of Punctuation

Post by Kirbstone »

On this sainted isle the most unpleasant and perhaps dangerous wild creature one is likely to encounter is the wasp. In late Summer they get apparently more numerous and present a nuisance at mealtimes'

Best to swat the critters and/or provide a diversion to attract them away. Camping in Greece in 1966 I buried a half-drunk bottle of wine deep down in the cool sand under our tent only to find it a seething mass of wasps in the morning ! I went down to the water's edge and swung it out to Sea a long way.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

alexthe bird, "The classic example is a dedication to "my parents, Sigmund Freud and Queen Elizabeth." " The supposed use of the Oxford comma could be negated simply by changing the order to " Sigmund Freud, Queen Elizabeth and my parents." "parents" being a plural has an implied possessive on anything that comes after it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:12 am The supposed use of the Oxford comma could be negated simply by changing the order to " Sigmund Freud, Queen Elizabeth and my parents." "parents" being a plural has an implied possessive on anything that comes after it.
Can't agree with that! In your example, "parents" isn't even trying to be a possessive. In Latin it would be a dative, but we don't have those in English.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Obviously I need to mind my punctuation; it was not WASPS or 'Coming out' that caught my fancy, it was the implication of the antecedent:

"Young men should be dressed in a sports coat, tie, dress pants, and freshly polished dress shoes. However, if the quinceañera is occurring during the late afternoon or evening, dressing up a bit more is recommended. A knee-length or modest mini-dress and a pair of cute (yet comfortable) heels make an ideal ensemble.Sep 27, 2021"

Thought it was a late afternoon/early evening event, there were no young men dressed in a mini-skirt (modest or not), nor in heels. :( Only this old man in a skirt.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:59 am
Faldaguy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:40 amI stumbled across this last night when looking at info on Quinceaneras, (15th birthday celebration, coming out, for girls in Latin traditions) I'm pretty sure it is not quite what they meant -- but, hey -- maybe the world is changing!
This topic got quite the writeup in the local Worcester (MA/USA) paper several years ago, and it parallels the "debut" of WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) girls quite handily, but a wee bit earlier. "Coming out" in this sense, has nothing to do whatsoever with what the term "means" today; it's merely the time when the young woman makes her debut onto the "adult" scene.
"Young men should be dressed in a sports coat, tie, dress pants, and freshly polished dress shoes. However, if the quinceañera is occurring during the late afternoon or evening, dressing up a bit more is recommended. A knee-length or modest mini-dress and a pair of cute (yet comfortable) heels make an ideal ensemble.Sep 27, 2021"
Keep the boys in their place because this is a time for the girl to shine. It is what it is.

Note that there is no such rite of passage for boys.
Actually, there's a trend (an extremely small minority, I guess, espcially in macho South America) for boys to have a 15th birthday and get dressed up as a girl for it. I found some YouTube videos by a company that specialize in make-up transformations and glamorous photography for boys.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Like a skirted Bar or Bat Mitzva - rite of passage ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

It bothers me how people use an apostrophe concerning decades. Instead of putting the apostrophe before the decade, it's often put after the last two digits with an accompanying "s". I hope I'm not being hypocritical about all of this, but it doesn't make much sense to put the "'s" there because it refers to possessive forms of terms, moreso than plurals. If you're writing the entire decade out, you don't even need the damn apostrophe in the first place. The only reason you even apply it at all is in this fashion: "'70s, '80s; 90s". Not "70's, 80's, and 90's", and 1990's can refer to a year or a decade, so it's better to just leave out apostrophe all together if it's the decade. You put the apostrophe first because it covers the "19" of those decades, same as how it covers the "g" in words ending with the suffix "-ing".

Now, I hope I didn't make any punctuation errors...