Calling All the Wordsmiths

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Calling All the Wordsmiths

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys, This is a plea for some assistance.
Has anybody ever came across the word "Skruit"?
I have tried Prof Google and amazingly, no hits.
I'd like to use it to give a name to a wee project which should come to fruition very soon.
I'd also prefer not to get sued for a breach of copyright.
To add a bit of interest, would anyone care to hazard a guess at the intended meaning?
Steve.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Calling All the Wordsmiths

Post by Bodycon »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:59 am Hi Guys, This is a plea for some assistance.
Has anybody ever came across the word "Skruit"?
I have tried Prof Google and amazingly, no hits.
I'd like to use it to give a name to a wee project which should come to fruition very soon.
I'd also prefer not to get sued for a breach of copyright.
To add a bit of interest, would anyone care to hazard a guess at the intended meaning?
Steve.
Could it be a type of portmanteau word, possibly misspelt?

Maybe originating from "Screw it" as a term of disdain. I think that gives some insight into how my brain works.... :lol:
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Be careful!
American electrical practice makes use of porcelain? 'thimbles' which are internally threaded to effectively twist wires together. I believe they are known as 'Screwits' or some other variation on the spelling.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

If you Googled it and it did not come up with an exact reply - then perhaps you are able to lay the ground work for a new word function category application.
Beware the Oxford folks are going to have fits about this !
Words are not so much proprietary like patten inventions.
But I am not a legal scholar but I do like to throw words around with random abandon - some more than others !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:18 am Beware the Oxford folks are going to have fits about this !
If you mean the dictionary, it doesn't cover commercial names unless they become generic (like "Hoover").

You can trademark a word, but only in a specified category of product or service.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:34 pmYou can trademark a word, but only in a specified category of product or service.
And every so often trademarks/trade-words collide, sometimes with comical results.

A case in point here is the term "VAX". In the UK it was a brand of vacuum-cleaner and was supported by the slogan, "Nothing sucks like a VAX!". In the US, however, "VAX" was the name of a line of computers brought out by Digital Equipment Corporation (now defunct), and given the differences between UK and US English caused much hilarity amongst the folks who were not particularly enamoured by the VAX architecture. Needless to say, there was a stink about the matter and much litigation.

It was eventually settled by the courts when it was decided that there could be no brand confusion between the two lines and thus no competitive infringement was possible.

As far as porcelain devices used to screw two (or more) wires together being known as "Skrewit", I have no details. The devices are ubiquitous and are generically known as "wire nuts".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi All and thanks for the responses.
In reality, I don't have any financial ambitions for this.
I have obtained a made to measure 3 piece suit and want to call it a "Skruit".
Jacket, waistcoat and skirt made for a male so therefore, "Skruit"!
Accessories are in progress. Shoes, I bought 2 pairs today.
Pictures will certainly follow and it is certainly not a copy of the "Windsor" a la Mark.
Steve,
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, there is still a vacuum cleaner sold under the brand name VAX over here. The dual use with the computer architecture and the cleaner had no confusion in my mind.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:03 pmCarl, there is still a vacuum cleaner sold under the brand name VAX over here.
Oh, good. It's nice to see that one company survived.
The dual use with the computer architecture and the cleaner had no confusion in my mind.
There was never any practical confusion on these shores either -- it was the UK slogan that got DEC's lawyers into a lather. The technicians all thought the matter funny.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!