Home repair

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Home repair

Post by Bikerkilt »

My OH and I have been into home remodeling and repair, a few years I replaced the roof but not before it had done some damage to the floor an walls. I have repaired the walls and the floor but her and I have been going round and round on what to put on the floor cover. A few week ago she found some flooring that we agreed on a 1ft by 2ft marble look, it a floating floor and goes down pretty easy. I have done one small bathroom first to get the fill how it goes together then moved on to the kitchen, living room and 2 hallways that are done now with the floor trim done too. O my dear wife help is watching home improvement show and STAY OUT OF MY WAY. I still have a closet and the main bathroom to put the floor down yet but I have some floor and wall repair and remodel to do in their first. I will do the repairs and the remodeling this late summer or fall and put the floor down next winter. My now project is putting a bathroom in my shop with a bathtub/shower, sink and toilet, I had my son in-law start on this bathroom a few year ago but stopped him when I saw him cobbling it together and the first thing I did was to remove all that he had done and start over.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Home repair

Post by denimini »

I can fully identify with your situation and assume it is all being done while wearing a skirt, like Moonshadow, SkirtsDad and others here.
I used to say to my partner, Heather, "I will do that job in a mini (minute)" and then not get around to it. Since she bought me a mini (skirt) I am getting all of the renovations done. Although at present I am sitting here writing this when I should be outside in the heat doing some stonework.
I like watching Restoration shows because many have bigger problems that I have, probably triggering more schadenfreude than empathy on my part.
Often having someone helping can cause more work, as with your son in-law.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I thought that this was going to be a commentary about wearing a mini-skirt doing those home repairs - up on a ladder - roof top - bending over installing flooring - plumbing and etc.
And never a thought about exposure coverage modesty - of course this is being done in your home instead of a public business or something on that order.

Best be comfortable while doing this - just watch out for those sharp tools of the trade - things that - cut - saw - screw - poke holes and fastening bonding stuff !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

rma yes I have long skirt on this time of the year. On those sharps tools safety first and always use the right tool. I get some of my help on how to do projects from utube and reading. I do enjoy doing different thing to help keep my mine sharper at 72 years young and I like building things and making things.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We're 20+ years in now on our large-ish property and most of my time spent at home is carrying out DIY ongoing repairs on things that have rotted or broken. The list is endless and I joke that my great-grandchildren will complete the tasks in hand. Having animals and poultry, there are numerous fences and gates, all requiring regular maintenance.

No mega-projects are planned anymore, but we did do the DIY Olympics on our (fortunately unlisted) Tudor house in Hampshire, England 1979-81, eventually selling it to an architect (gold medal!) for enough tax-free to put our four offsprings through English Public School...No small feat.

I have a range of battery-driven hand power tools which practically live in a wheelbarrow used to transport them to the particular task in hand. When the weather is clement I frequently wear a skirt with pockets for very practical reasons.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:36 pm MOH & I put 23,000+ clay tiles on roof.
That is impressive, especially on that steep roof.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Bikerkilt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:22 pm A few week ago she found some flooring that we agreed on a 1ft by 2ft marble look, it a floating floor and goes down pretty easy.
I purchased something similar for our kitchen & dining room, but it's still stacked in boxes in the garage so we have bare concrete for the moment after I removed the old carpet and ceramic tile that was there. I put down floating engineered-wood floor in all the other rooms of the house over the last few months and it's been really nice and not too difficult. I need to measure and install new kitchen cabinets next...we demolished almost everything else that was there when we moved in because it was pretty outdated and bare bones.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

kirbstone" I move out here in the country in 98 and have been adding fruit trees, nut trees, grape vines and most resent put in a strawberry patch and plan to put a vegetable garden this year after I add the fence around it, I have 4 chickens and run 10 cows a bull and have a few calves that will be weaned and taken to market in a few month.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

Flbreezy" I put in new cabinets when I did the wall and floor repair. I have a closet to floor yet and a remodel in the main bathroom were I have some floor damage and I took out my hot water heater and replaced it with a hot water on demand which left me with a space that I can make shelfing or storage their. I see that your from Florida, I have a sister that live in North Port and road down to florida about 4 years ago for daytona bike week.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Anthony,
Apart from the hallway porch roof, all slopes are 49-50 deg. Clay tiles are 10" X 6" uncut and have bumps at one end so they will stay on battens laid 4" apart. When tiling one stands on the battens and every 5th row of tiles is nailed down. This changes in the hips & valleys regions where each valley tile & bonnet tile is nailed. I took on that job when I was just 37, MOH 32 and we were both very athletically fit then.
Rs NW face of Wedmans cott & spoiled offsprings.png
Bikerkilt,
When we had difficulty with the local Council over planning consent for our current shack, a clever engineer who MOH told about our Jersey cows in England advised that we get a Ministry of Ag. Herd no. and a few suckler cows on our land. This we did and our next planning application was rubber-stamped !
Rs Autumn pic Holm Wood & M'cleevaun.JPG
The cows have since gone and just two donkeys, dogs, cats & poultry plus a big garden remain. We're old people now. Our near neighbour farmer keeps a bull. Bully for him!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !