RIP Thích Nhất Hạnh

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

RIP Thích Nhất Hạnh

Post by miloshlavka »

Thích Nhất Hạnh (born 11 October 1926 as Nguyễn Đình Lang and later known by the name Nguyễn Xuân Bảo), Vietnamese Thiền Buddhist monk, peace activist, and founder of the Plum Village Tradition, historically recognized as the main inspiration for engaged Buddhism, died today 22 January 2022 at his residence in Từ Hiếu Temple in Huế, Vietnam, at the age of 95 as a result of complications from his stroke seven years prior.
Something more about this admirable man is here: https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/thich-nhat-hanh-dies/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%ADc ... E1%BA%A1nh
Memorial services are here https://plumvillage.org/memorial/

Great thanks him for all he has offered the world!

Pictures:

Thích Nhất Hạnh and the director of EIAB Thay Phap An in Waldbröl, Cologne, Germany, 3 June 2010

Following picture: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (left) and Thích Nhất Hạnh (right) at a joint press conference on May, 31 1966 Chicago Sheraton Hotel (source: Courtesy Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism)
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: RIP Thích Nhất Hạnh

Post by Sinned »

Another great spiritual leader that I had never heard of. Thanks for that Milo, I'm always ready to read about great people. A sad loss.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

Thanks for Your answer. And excuse me for my late answer, I am busy in these days.
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

And congratulations, Miloš, for finding all those Vietnamese diacritical marks!
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

geron wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:39 pm And congratulations, Miloš, for finding all those Vietnamese diacritical marks!
No problem - en.wikipedia.org (You can enter searched expression without any diacritial marks - it will be redirected), Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. :D

geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

miloshlavka wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:24 am
geron wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:39 pm And congratulations, Miloš, for finding all those Vietnamese diacritical marks!
No problem - en.wikipedia.org
Years ago, I spent some months working with a bunch of Vietnamese people in London. It used to drive them crazy that their children (who all went to local schools) had got into the habit of speaking the language "flat", like English, without the tones represented by those marks. It must have created no end of ambiguities of meaning.
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

geron wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:17 pm ...It used to drive them crazy that their children (who all went to local schools) had got into the habit of speaking the language "flat", like English, without the tones represented by those marks. It must have created no end of ambiguities of meaning.
Yes, I can imagine it. The Czech language has much fewer diacritical marks than Vietnamese (in simple terms: a comma over a vowel lengthens it, a hook over a letter softens it; for example, the Czech "š" is pronounced similarly to the English "sh"), and their omission / change can also change the meaning of the word.
For example:
drahá = feminine form of adjective with meanings: expensive, costly, valuable, dear, beloved,...
dráha = substantive with meanings: track, trajectory, rail(way),...
Bój = Boius - member of Gallic tribe living in antiquity in current Bohemia (Latin or English name of this territory is derived from the name this tribe).
boj = fighting, combat, struggle,...

Vietnamese has a lot more diacritical marks - and so there will be probably much more ambiguities.

BTW: 1st February was Vietnamese (Tết Nguyên Đán) and Chinese (traditional Chinese: 農曆新年, simplified Chinese: 农历新年) New Year. Tibetian New year (Losar) will be 3rd March.

And my personal remark: Thích Nhất Hạnh died exactly on my birthday.

And sorry for grammatical errors and the late answer - I'm a little busy in current days.
Miloš H.

Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I have benefited from some of his writings.

(It might not be inappropriate in this forum to note that he was rarely if ever seen in trousers!)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Milosh,
If you want to get something done, ask someone who is already busy. Btw. The Irish language as written out and in old-fashioned print had two accents changing the sound of words....the buailte, or dot over a consonant and the fada, a stroke over a vowel, but nothing more complicated. Modern typed Irish text has replaced the buailte or dot with an H after the consonant and abandoning the fada altogether, making it difficult to read for old codgers like myself, educated on the older script.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !