WHAT FASHION IS TODAY!!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: WHAT FASHION IS TODAY!!

Post by Faldaguy »

by Sinned » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:51 pm

Well, there have been those aspects shown in men's fashion, dresses and skirts worn as "high fashion" that's ok but nothing that any of us would consider wearing. What we need is creativity applied to designs that could be applied to street wear.
Granted the 'high fashion' spreads in GQ & Vogue won't cut it on the street. However, for us men, just putting on a skirt is creative! And there is so much more we can play with -- most here seem to favor bland colors like our old suits so we 'blend in' which is what most of us, male or female, do -- we conform. So what can we do to bring out that 'creative' you mention? Perhaps the first thing is to stop conforming in knee -length blue denim skirts that may pass as shorts! (I grant they can be very comfortable and ones wears them as easily as pants without public notice.) But, that does not bring out the creative you seek, nor does it push the general population to see alternatives. It takes moving a bit beyond the "fitting in" stage if you want things to change.

Today, I'm in an ankle length, reasonable full pleated to the hip skirt in shades of tangerine and plum with a dash of horizontal light grey and beige bands that I've paired with a plain grey/silver/beige shirt. It is a far cry from 'masculine' and more colorful than 'acceptable' fall fashion colors -- but it is also practical in that it does not restrict movement and it has a built in full length slip for warmth. In some ways it is "Mark-like" -- plain Joe on top, but Shirley on the bottom. It is not magazine cover fashion, but out of bounds and 'creative' enough to stir a few minds. Dennis, I think there is more fun left for us on the present skirt racks to aid "creativity applied to designs that could be applied to street wear." No?
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

There is a big difference between fashion and style: fashion shows conformity and lack of thought, style shows maturity of thought.   Clearly the members of this forum care far more about style than they do about fashion.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:48 am There is a big difference between fashion and style: fashion shows conformity and lack of thought, style shows maturity of thought.   Clearly the members of this forum care far more about style than they do about fashion.
Indeed, and I'd certainly hope that the latter is true.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well since I started this topic on what is fashion.
I was at the store this AM and saw what had to be the most indecent pair of jeans I have ever seen in public. I wish I had my camera with me so I could post the picture here.
A young (30 something) lady was wearing jeans that left nothing to the imagination. The entire back of those jeans was gone and you could see both full butt cheeks with only a narrow strip of cloth going from waistband to crotch. The front wasn't much better the only thing that was not completely visible was her *&%#^#... But close to have been..
The legs were as close to not being there as well. This is just trash being worn as clothing, she probably paid a lot of money for as well.

To me this is young lady might as well have gone completely naked and it would have been easier on the eyes.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:26 pm To me this is young lady might as well have gone completely naked and it would have been easier on the eyes.
Of course. She's trying to be provocative, not just be natural.

Here's a petition for you to sign:
https://www.change.org/p/fully-legalize ... -the-u-s-a
:D
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that you may have seen something like these: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... jeans.html.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sinned wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:01 pm I think that you may have seen something like these: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... jeans.html.
One could take a perfectly good pair of any pants and create the same with careful cutting with a scissors !

I dare anyone to do this in the frigid northland - result will be the color of the bare legs being blue filling in for the missing fabric material !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have a fig tree and I should start selling fig leaves, they would be far cheaper at just $25 each and cover more. It was in fashion some time ago I believe. People could wear 2, 3 or 4 and depends on if covid is still around .... 5.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

My take is still that nobody here has a right to be overly critical on the subject of what anyone else chooses to wear.
My question is, would you like to see a return to the good old sumptuary laws when everybody knew what was right and proper?
My advice, be very careful what you wish for!
No harm done and even the bonus of giving us old curmudgeons something to gripe about apart from the less fun aspects of progressive maturity.
I was out and about on a wee train trip yesterday, navy dress, tights and red beret. No mistaking, my "style".
Snarl up in the timetabling meant I had a nice chat with some youngsters who were most polite. They'd be the potential "fashion" followers of today. Onboard the train there was a mixed age group and I noted that the most obvious disapproving looks came from my own generation.
Enough Said.
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Quite apart from all the ghastly jeans interpretations currently on sale and snapped up by The Young, another tendency meets with my old-fashioned disapproval: Big names appearing at important public functions wearing dresses with front necklines plunging almost to the navel with obvious bra-less flesh barely 'concealed' underneath.

At a small permitted gathering recently one girl attended so attired, and close to it was clear that she had to programme her movements so nothing popped out. So unnecessary and awkward for the rest of us there. Even one single button placed higher up would have solved everything, but it's difficult to steer people that age.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:43 am but it's difficult to steer people that age.
So long as she is a woman of decent age, then the more flesh on display the better is my opinion. If anything you should have mentioned Tit-Tape (or boob tape) to her as a method of nearly showing everything, but with a degree of safely.....

One of the best examples being Kylie Minogue's Can't get you out of my head video, released over 20 years ago.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Jim wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:58 pm Here's a petition for you to sign:
I did sign it! Did you?
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I thought I had seen something of this sentiment before and my thanks Fred.
I really can see how it applies equally to the kids who wear clothes that we don't approve of.
Equally to all the potential naturists who will emerge if the petition has any effect.
There is also a distinctive whiff of the green eyed monster lurking in this thread.
I freely admit huge envy of the younger folk their freedoms which we were never allowed.
It would certainly appear that I am not alone at any rate.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:51 pm
Jim wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:58 pm Here's a petition for you to sign:
I did sign it! Did you?
yes
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I didn't because it pertains to America. I'd have liked to though.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.