For the Amature Astronomers among us

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

For the Amature Astronomers among us

Post by Uncle Al »

This event will not happen ever again :!:
Comet Leonard Is Now Visible With The Naked Eye
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: For the Amature Astronomers among us

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Due to heavy cloud cover and dense fog in my area I can not see it. Oh well it is just a big ball of rock and ice there are more of them out there. So I may be able to see others and have in the past.....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:48 pm Due to heavy cloud cover and dense fog in my area I can not see it. Oh well it is just a big ball of rock and ice there are more of them out there. So I may be able to see others and have in the past.....
It should be visible at least another week. It may clear up by next Monday.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hmmm, rain, living the wrong side of hills, heavy clouds, storm on the way for the week, welcome to the world of Scottish astronomy!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We too have rain and high winds with very low barometric pressure forecast for today & tomorrow, with dull skies thereafter this week, but I'm not put out. ]
Speaking of comets I remember well the spectacular Arend-Roland comet of 1956-7, which hung in the sky for months on end and whose tail reached all of 15 degrees of arc. My Dad had a very good 2.5 inch refractor naval telescope and took us up a nearby hill & mounted the scope on the roof rack of the car for us to enjoy the spectacle.
Much later the Hale-Bopp comet came in 1996-7. This was around for more than a whole year and everyone got a look at it. It was huge. I doubt there is anything on that scale due again anytime soon.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !