First Snow...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

First Snow...

Post by crfriend »

Well, we got it last night. That nasty four-letter word to us New Englanders that's usually spat out like a curse: "snow".

This is not unheard of this early in the season, but it has been for the past couple of decades. I have active memories of snow on Thanksgiving day when I was younger.

In any event, like any first snowfall, it's actually sort of pretty. There's no accumulation to speak of, just a dusting of confectioner's sugar on the trees, plants, and grass. It'll go as the sun finishes coming up.

My tune will be decidedly different in another month or two's time -- when it piles up as slush and mess on roadways, highways, and brings things to a standstill. My main worry is about getting into Boston on time to catch the train on Christmas morning...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First Snow...

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:43 pm This is not unheard of this early in the season, but it has been for the past couple of decades. I have active memories of snow on Thanksgiving day when I was younger.
I have a few vague memories of a dusting on Thanksgiving too. I remember when we moved from Damascus to Marion back the autumn of 2016, it was some time in mid November and it was mighty cold, we were fighting blowing snow and bitterly cold temperatures the whole time. In fact, it was like that when we moved from Pulaski to Damascus, also in November (2013). In fact I remember one night almost not making it back home due to the roads getting covered.

No major November snow events in the last few years, though even this year we have had a few bitter frost. It's been frosting pretty regularly now for a couple of weeks, though the climate is not to the point where the heat is "running hard" all day. We won't get that until after January when the Earth has given up all its summer heat and the ground actually starts to "feel cold".

Last season we actually had only one major snow event that I can recall, and it was most wonderful and beautiful, Christmas eve and into Christmas morning Mother Nature gifted us with about six inches of fluffy white snow to wake up to. The first one I've ever seen in my life and a wonderful way to finish off what up until that point had been a dismal 2020.

I don't recall any major snow events in the winter of 2021, dustings mostly.
crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:43 pm My main worry is about getting into Boston on time to catch the train on Christmas morning...
Well, where you're going I don't think you'll have to contend with any snow!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

We had the first snow of the season in Bath (UK) this morning; didn't last long.  Also gale-force winds overnight had blown out the pilot light in the boiler, so I had a cold start to the day.  The boiler's working again now but a build-up of sludge in the cold return main under the floor has blocked the circulation to the four biggest radiators -- I have an unpleasant job to look forward to next week.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Hey what say - time for the BAH HUM BUG chimney sweep to clear the vent for Santa !

Already have had two clashes of snow - but the ground and pavement are too warm to sustain.

At least it was not the blizzard of Halloween '91 when snow came down on the trick-n-treaters hiding the scary landscape until a thawing near the end of May '92.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:25 pmI have an unpleasant job to look forward to next week.
Mucking out is seldom fun. Best of luck with that.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We had very unusual sort of sleet with more snow than rain in the precipitation. When I kicked out of work at 7pm there was a thin layer of snow on the car but it was so cold that the snow, and underlying layer of water had frozen. The ice scraper was needed to clear the windows. Not had those conditions for a few years.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

We had our drop on Friday evening.
It was wet, very windy and quite nasty.
The rig was midi skirt, boots and maxi overcoat which was perfectly snug.
Bonus being that my friend seemed to like the look too, she gave the coat a special mention.
Steve,
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

We had a dusting, some of which is still here.

Pic from a walk yesterday morning. Gorgeous blue sky and just a bit below freezing.
windfarm path.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

My wife said what good legs you have. Which presumably means by comparison with mine...
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First Snow... [OT]

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:04 pm
pelmut wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:25 pmI have an unpleasant job to look forward to next week.
Mucking out is seldom fun. Best of luck with that.
CBAT01_7301s.JPG
No, that's not snow, it's the foam from the detergent I used to keep the sludge in suspension while it was pumped out. The suction hose goes in the back door, across the kitchen, through the back room and down a trap to the underfloor void where the drain valve is situated.  The sludge was packed so solidly in the pipes that I couldn't get any flow, even with considerable suction that the pump could generate; I had to hit the pipes with a mallet to get it moving.  

The pump shifted gallons and gallons of filthy black yuck -- and now the house is nice and warm again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:59 pmThe pump shifted gallons and gallons of filthy black yuck -- and now the house is nice and warm again.
Blessed be!

If that didn't work, what was the next step? Compressed air to try to blow it out or mechanically breaking the blockage up with snakes and whatnot?
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

geron wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 pm My wife said what good legs you have. Which presumably means by comparison with mine...
Please pass on my (embarrassed :oops: ) thanks. Any compliments are gratefully received, and that would be a first for my legs :lol:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:05 pm
pelmut wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:59 pmThe pump shifted gallons and gallons of filthy black yuck -- and now the house is nice and warm again.
Blessed be!

If that didn't work, what was the next step? Compressed air to try to blow it out or mechanically breaking the blockage up with snakes and whatnot?
Cut the pipe and try to run a drill or a snake thorough it -- or just cut it out completely and drop in a new length with compression fittings.  I had considered using mains water pressure, but didn't like the idea that the blockage might not have been where I thought it was and I might have finished up over-pressuring one of the radiators and bursting it.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

And speaking of snow. Hawaii is getting pounded.
They're under a blizzard warning.

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/ ... big-island