MONEY, MONEY, MONEY

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY

Post by Faldaguy »

The foundation of politics explained -- I think both the R's, D's, and the folks over the pond will agree with this one:

https://parodyproject.com/money-sucks-t ... -go-round/
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: MONEY, MONEY, MONEY

Post by Sinned »

Far too long. After the second verse I scrolled down to see how long it was and interest died, never to be resurrected.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

It does seem we live in a world with short attention spans and demanding of instant gratification. I kind of felt that way about Cabaret from whence the hit "Money makes the world go round" was prominent. How about: "Politicians are bought and paid for"? Not much jingle, but a succinct truth.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

What this brings to my mind is the refrain from a song (don't ask me when or the title!) that went 'Money is the root of all evil'.
Against the current world background, never was a truer phrase spoken.
There is also the refrain 'Money money money, it's a rich man's world', which is also horribly true.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 am Far too long. After the second verse I scrolled down to see how long it was and interest died, never to be resurrected.
They've certainly laboured the joke well beyond what it can bear -- in fact, the entire site seems to consist of gags stretched beyond breaking point. Some of them might be funnier in performance than on the page, perhaps.

The obsequious chunk of musicology at the bottom is presumably there to keep copyright lawyers at bay.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Actually ts, the quote is from the New Testament, "For the love of money is the root of all evil...." 1 Timothy. In simplicity money itself is neutral, simply metal, paper and now polymer or whatever. The value of money is determined in the general demand for it measured by some standard.

geron, thank you, I'm glad that someone agrees with me. It's nothing to do with short attention spans. I have read the complete set of Game of Thrones ( as so far published ) and before that Lord of the Rings among others HHGTTG in, I think a trilogy of 6. I am generally an avid reader; just sometimes I meet something that just doesn't seem worthwhile investing the effort and time in continuing, never mind completing it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by geron » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:57 am

They've certainly laboured the joke well beyond what it can bear -- in fact, the entire site seems to consist of gags stretched beyond breaking point. Some of them might be funnier in performance than on the page, perhaps.
Right now this western corner of the world is so desperate for any light or lightness that a few refrains in parody are the only remediation and palliative for our misery -- jolly well enjoy your sanity while you can, we ain't got any here. :cry:

I grant the particular parody of the Cabaret song by Liza Minnelli (not the biblical quote) was not the Parody Project's best work; nor is it easy to make precise attributions on the many phrases about money's role in world affairs --but the point was never meant to be serious beyond a mild forced smile about how, at least in the US, money has pretty much corrupted most if not all of the politicians. Maybe one of you song-writers can do something with : "The Man wears the Pants"! :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:09 amRight now this western corner of the world is so desperate for any light or lightness that a few refrains in parody are the only remediation and palliative for our misery -- jolly well enjoy your sanity while you can, we ain't got any here. :cry:
I think that part of the angst here is that most everybody in the northern portion of the western hemisphere has been so badly rattled by the political and economic situation for the past 20+ years that the "Parody Project" is hitting a bit too close to home. We are no longer allowed to laugh at ourselves, nor are we allowed to laugh at our "leaders" (who are all laughing at us); the intelligent ones know precisely how bad the situation has become but are entirely powerless to do anything about it -- save attempting to force laughter.

Yes, :cry: .
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Video is okay I reckon... little cheesy, but what isn't anymore right?

I get the impression the guy that stars in a lot of the videos on this channel is the type of guy to make you take your shoes off before you enter the house... :mrgreen:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

What "type" is that? It was pretty much common practice when we lived in Hawaii; not uncommon in several other places either -- and you can bet my Mother insisted my boots were gone when coming in from the hop fields!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Faldaguy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:09 am [Right now this western corner of the world is so desperate for any light or lightness that a few refrains in parody are the only remediation and palliative for our misery -- jolly well enjoy your sanity while you can, we ain't got any here. :cry:
If you want some real satire in the Americas, perhaps you have to go back to the irreplaceable Tom Lehrer, whose songs are unmatched for wit, erudition, cleverness, savagery, musicality, showmanship and all-round entertainment value. What's more, he's placed the whole lot of them in the public domain -- for the time being.
https://tomlehrersongs.com/
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

It's a joke Falda.

Make 'em while we can, they'll be illegal before long...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I remain a great fan of Tom Lehrer, who I believe is still with us. For fun party songs he had few equals and I have committed several of his to memory.

Some of them, penned in the '50s were amazingly prophetic, a prime example being 'The old dope peddlar'

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I was introduced to his songs while in high school, when interning for a group of graphic designers. I always get a kick out of his songs, pretty much all of them.