To the progressives here

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: To the progressives here

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:07 pm
JennC03 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:48 pm I've told you if my job works out you will be retiring in two years and will have health insurance.Trust the process and trust me.It's going to be okay.
Well I don't mind earning my own paycheck. I don't really want to sit around the house all day every day, but I also don't want to work every waking hour of my life...

Surely to goodness there must be some middle ground! Why must it be jobs that work 15 hours per week or 80, nothing in between?

You don't have to work for them you can cut grass or do odd jobs.=-) Be nice you know to retire at the age of 42-43 ah the possibilities 😉
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

At some point I'm going to be very tempted to start asking questions about mini-splits, and not the kind of exercise a cheerleader does :D
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, I have landed in retail. The pay isn't a fraction [0] of what I earned in IT but I have flexible hours between 20 and 35, no stress, variety of tasks, meet people and managers leave me alone to do my job. It keeps me physically fit, stops me vegetating, gives some income and gets me out of my wife's routine for a few hours. Y ou could do worse and at least you wouldn't be on call or laid under a machine with gunk dripping down your arm. I could have retired over a year ago and chose not to but will certainly retire next summer. Good luck with the both of you and hope you do get your goal of early retirement. 8)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

If I didn't have to worry about health care cost, I'd like to give my own retail shop another shot. Back in the day I had a neat little witch store called "Lunar Curiosities", and despite it being quite a bit of work, I had a blast, and met some awesome people.

These days, while I'd still likely sell a few new age items, I wouldn't mind expanding into clothing (skirts and such) getting an account set up with a supplier of boho skirts, maybe also sell some books and other eccentric novelties.

But then there's that damned health insurance issue. And going without insurance is just asking for trouble... I'd be one minor medial expense away from losing everything to the debt collectors...

Owing a hospital is about like owing the I.R.S., they will take you to the cleaners.

It's a lousy system we have here.

But anyway, I had a man offer to sell me his record store in Richlands a few years ago, I felt he was asking too much so I passed, but it got me to thinking all the same...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Moon, I have had two hospitalizations in the last ten years-the first involved surgery for colon cancer, the second (earlier this year) surgery for hernia repair. My brother, who worked for Blue Cross/Blue Shield described this insurance as a "necessary luxury".
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by moonshadow » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:38 pm

If I didn't have to worry about health care cost, I'd like to give my own retail shop another shot. Back in the day I had a neat little witch store called "Lunar Curiosities", and despite it being quite a bit of work, I had a blast, and met some awesome people.
There is no doubt that medical insurance is the elephant in the room in the US -- it is the whip that keeps most everyone in line, being good slaves until they are 67 or whatever the current age for Medicare is. It is a great system for the Slave owners. If you check out the "reason" there are so many US Ex-pats about the globe -- it is most often the cost of living (COL), and in particular -- health care. Much of the world is 'closed' to ordinary folk without deep pockets if they have not 'contributed' to the system in many countries; but a few others -- they are hungry for foreign dollars, and their borders are not only open, but invitations are sent out. Granted, you will live some distance from 'home and family' and if you have Grandkids -- look out, their siren call is seductive.

We did not choose Costa Rica for medical care, but we did get out of the US early largely due to medical insurance concerns. Fortunately for us, other important factors melded well with a country where Education and Health Care for all are given priority. There are other countries where the COL is less than here with very pleasant life styles available. In many of them even as an ex-pat you can self-insure your medical for very modest costs. As a couple, we pay less than $50.00 USD per month for our health insurance -- it covers all of our routine visits; vaccines, and medications (some of which I'd pay more than that for a single months co-pay in the US). It will also cover most of our advanced hospital/medical needs if necessary. Elective procedures can be a long wait; but crisis needs are met on the spot and our International Health Care Outcomes as per a US University that rates many countries, put Costa Rica from equal to about 10 places ahead of the US -- which tends to run about 30th. in the world (ranging from 24-36 in recent years). Of course there are a multitude of other factors in making such a significant decision as becoming an ex-pat; but the world does not end at the US borders.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well... I just got paid for all that OT I put in over the last fortnight...

Yeah... that improved the ol' morale just a tad.... :mrgreen:

Suddenly I no longer want to quit... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Wait until they put you on salary and have you working third bloody shift one or two nights a week for three months straight with no recompense whatsoever...

I'll be having this one out with The Boss likely tomorrow morning because we just suffered our third straight failure due to "cockpit error" because the humans couldn't really interpret what the instruments were telling them leading ultimately to "controlled flight into terrain". It's all down to fatigue and scattered minds. And completely and entirely avoidable. Sadly, our stellar reputation is now likely irreversibly sullied. And it's down to Management not understanding human factors.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Good luck, Carl. It'll not be an easy meeting. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Typically, when a thread runs for 8 pages an incredible amount of topic drift slips in. Assuming that has happened here, my apologies to those of you who have found the current topic more interesting than the original, but recent news compels me to return to it.

I expect Carl will find this very hard to believe, but this comes from the NY Times: In response to popular outcry, the section of the bill that Moonshadow brought to our attention has been completely rewritten. The accounts that banks need to report to the IRS about are those that handle more than $10,000 in total per year EXCLUDING wages and Social Security payments.

Does that mean that every single one of those accounts will be scrutinized by the IRS? Probably not. They don't have the resources to do so.

But what about those 87,400 new agents? They are specifically earmarked for scrutinizing the tax returns of the 1% and you can just bet that they will find those bank statements very helpful in conducting those scrutinies (Yes, all of you officers of the language police, I know that's not a proper word, I just thought a snicker might relieve some of the angst I picked up as inhabiting this thread.).

Fine, but how do we know that those agents will be keep busy looking at the 1% and not take an excursion to the tax returns of the rest of us. In the first place, it would be a literal federal offense, which would undoubtedly cost the participants, including their supervisors, their jobs and pensions.

In addition, it defies the Willie "The Actor" Sutton principle. For the benefit of you American youngsters and our foreign friends of all ages who are unfamiliar with this legendary American anti-hero I'm going to digress a bit. Willie "The Actor" Sutton was a bank robber back in the day went such ne'er do wells regularly made the US newspapers (1920s and '30s). One time a reporter asked him, "So Willie, why do you rob banks?" "Because that's where the money is," the notorious gangster replied.

(That's usually good for another chuckle. I hope you had yours.)

The IRS estimates that if they could get the 1% to stop cheating on their taxes, they would increase income tax collections by 28%. By contrast, the bottom 50% of the taxpayers only shortchange the federal government by a collective 8%. So, which makes more sense? Going after a whole lot of people for a little bit of money? Or going after a relative handful for a lot of money?

So why have they seemingly been coming down harder on the middle class than the upper class? Because on yearly basis the Republican Congresses have cut the budget of the IRS and wading through large, complicated returns is a time-consuming proposition. If the Build Back Better Bill is enacted into law there will immediately (after hiring, onboarding and training) be 87.400 IRS agents with nothing better to do than to pore through rich people's tax returns.

Believe it or not.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

20211202_113603_resize_72_compress61.jpg
I wonder how many politicians can say they pay 30% of their earnings to taxes and insurance?

I wonder how many politicians could actually hold a normal job if they had to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea