To the progressives here

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: To the progressives here

Post by Sinned »

Moon, frankly, it's your fault. You. Let. Them[0]. Get. Away. With. It. When they are called up on their rota and they say they can't do the call out when it's their turn for whatever reason so management call you because you're soft enough to take up the slack. Next time just tell them to call the on call person because you aren't at home, you are with others at a social gathering[1] and it is not convenient and are miles away from your gear and it would take hours to attend. Sounds like a good time to plan a meeting with your boss and tell him that you are fed up with taking the majority of on-call calls when it is not your turn and you will only do your rota from now on and stick to it. Any newbies have to pull their weight and you can't continue to cover for them and it's not fair. You have to be firm on this and it won't happen overnight. Your managers need to manage, they aren't doing this. Learning to say "No" is a skill just as important as any other. I had a notice near my desk which said, "I have the right to say "No" in the following circumstances: 1. I don't have the skills. 2. I am busy and my tasks have a higher priority. 3. It is not my problem, it's yours." You get my drift and I'm sure that you can come up with some reasons suitable to your situation. You need to make yourself gradually less available when it isn't your turn to be available. Lie, if necessary. Say you are out even if you are not.

[0] The other employees.
[1] Whether you are or not.

Good luck. I had to do it but I had some encouragement from management as I was spending too much time doing things that were pressed upon me that weren't my responsibility. It was a goal set to me in one of my 1:1's as, like you, I couldn't say "No". Sorry your situation is what it is but you CAN manage your way out of it gradually. Take time and think what you have to do.

P.S. Don't tell me that I am using too many "ands" in a sentence. I know my rules of grammar and have done it for a reason - to sort of emphasise and bring the items to your attention.

Oh, Moon, tell me to bugger off if you like. I wouldn't blame you. :roll:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:16 pm Moon, frankly, it's your fault. You. Let. Them[0]. Get. Away. With. It
You're right of course. I have enabled this from day one. You're also right that it's hard to say "no" especially when you've had a strong work ethic drilled in your head since childhood.

Others in my circle (my wife, my mother, etc) echo your advice often. There are however multiple factors I'm considering. I am working the problem, being the "sqeaky wheel" so to speak at the moment. I've had several "soft talks" with management about this, but I do wonder if I'm really moving the needle much. I am annoyed with myself because I said "this is the LAST TIME several "times" ago... yet here I am again, just waiting on the phone to ring... good old 'Merican chump.

I'd really hate to resign from the job all together, and I'm also not trying to get on my boss's bad side. They have a way of making life miserable if they want to. Right now I'm inclined to see what the situation is exactly after the first of the year and go from there. If we get can get one guy his scale license and hire another good one that has potential then there is no problem, but on the other hand, if the company is just going to lollygag around year after year (and they've already been lollygagging since I've started here) then I'll probably set sail at some point in '22.

Aaaaaaaannnnnnd as I write this, I just got a call... so it's off to Blowing Rock North Carolina for me... That will suck down the rest of the day... toodeloo! :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On the other hand, I'm pretty much convinced that no matter where I go, it's always going to be the same old sh!t...

I wish I could retire. I don't even want to work anymore.

But I have to... I don't have any kids to live off of, I'm not a crackhead, I'm not in any real protected class, I'm just regular guy... that still has to work to survive.

Hence the rant that is the subject of this thread...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Sinned wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:16 pm Moon, frankly, it's your fault. You. Let. Them[0]. Get. Away. With. It. When they are called up on their rota and they say they can't do the call out when it's their turn for whatever reason so management call you because you're soft enough to take up the slack. Next time just tell them to call the on call person because you aren't at home, you are with others at a social gathering[1] and it is not convenient and are miles away from your gear and it would take hours to attend. Sounds like a good time to plan a meeting with your boss and tell him that you are fed up with taking the majority of on-call calls when it is not your turn and you will only do your rota from now on and stick to it. Any newbies have to pull their weight and you can't continue to cover for them and it's not fair. You have to be firm on this and it won't happen overnight. Your managers need to manage, they aren't doing this. Learning to say "No" is a skill just as important as any other. I had a notice near my desk which said, "I have the right to say "No" in the following circumstances: 1. I don't have the skills. 2. I am busy and my tasks have a higher priority. 3. It is not my problem, it's yours." You get my drift and I'm sure that you can come up with some reasons suitable to your situation. You need to make yourself gradually less available when it isn't your turn to be available. Lie, if necessary. Say you are out even if you are not.

[0] The other employees.

Good luck. I had to do it but I had some encouragement from management as I was spending too much time doing things that were pressed upon me that weren't my responsibility. It was a goal set to me in one of my 1:1's as, like you, I couldn't say "No". Sorry your situation is what it is but you CAN manage your way out of it gradually. Take time and think what you have to do.

P.S. Don't tell me that I am using too many "ands" in a sentence. I know my rules of grammar and have done it for a reason - to sort of emphasise and bring the items to your attention.

I'm going to intervene a second.Moon doesn't let it happen he's told it will happen.Moon has stood his ground with his employment they don't respect him enough to say you're right we will make such and such pull their weight but they never do.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

JennC03 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:25 pm
Sinned wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:16 pm Moon, frankly, it's your fault. You. Let. Them[0]. Get. Away. With. It. When they are called up on their rota and they say they can't do the call out when it's their turn for whatever reason so management call you because you're soft enough to take up the slack. Next time just tell them to call the on call person because you aren't at home, you are with others at a social gathering[1] and it is not convenient and are miles away from your gear and it would take hours to attend. Sounds like a good time to plan a meeting with your boss and tell him that you are fed up with taking the majority of on-call calls when it is not your turn and you will only do your rota from now on and stick to it. Any newbies have to pull their weight and you can't continue to cover for them and it's not fair. You have to be firm on this and it won't happen overnight. Your managers need to manage, they aren't doing this. Learning to say "No" is a skill just as important as any other. I had a notice near my desk which said, "I have the right to say "No" in the following circumstances: 1. I don't have the skills. 2. I am busy and my tasks have a higher priority. 3. It is not my problem, it's yours." You get my drift and I'm sure that you can come up with some reasons suitable to your situation. You need to make yourself gradually less available when it isn't your turn to be available. Lie, if necessary. Say you are out even if you are not.

[0] The other employees.

I'm going to intervene a second.Moon doesn't let it happen he's told it will happen.Moon has stood his ground with his employment they don't respect him enough to say you're right we will make such and such pull their weight but they never do.
This is why I took a job working from home because if this job goes well for me Moon will be retired before the next President is elected I will make sure of it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Jenn, I think Moon knows what I mean when I say that he lets it happen. I appreciate that Moon is trying to fight this and elicit some change in a system that doesn't want to change and he feels a bit helpless about it. There's a bit of tongue-in-cheek amidst the advice. I'm like Moon in the work ethic and trying to do everything when I can which is why I had to learn to say No. Thanks for rising to his defence, you're a god woman[0] and I would expect no less. Moon knows his situation and how far and fast he can push. Like Carl he will reach a point where he will have had enough and jump ship. Good luck to the both of you, there are those of us that have your best interests at heart. You will both get through this supporting each other.

[0] Can I say woman and not "person with a vagina"? :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Sinned wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:39 pm Jenn, I think Moon knows what I mean when I say that he lets it happen. I appreciate that Moon is trying to fight this and elicit some change in a system that doesn't want to change and he feels a bit helpless about it. There's a bit of tongue-in-cheek amidst the advice. I'm like Moon in the work ethic and trying to do everything when I can which is why I had to learn to say No. Thanks for rising to his defence, you're a god woman[0] and I would expect no less. Moon knows his situation and how far and fast he can push. Like Carl he will reach a point where he will have had enough and jump ship. Good luck to the both of you, there are those of us that have your best interests at heart. You will both get through this supporting each other.

[0] Can I say woman and not "person with a vagina"? :lol:
Thanks Dennis I'm hoping he can retire sooner than later.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

65 and not a minute later....

My birthday is on the December 27, you may wonder "will I be rounding out the year to December 31?"

Ahem....

HELL TO THA NO!
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Maybe sooner though... I was thinking today that perhaps I can renounce my citizenship, travel to Mexico, re-enter the U.S. illegally and score a half million dollars...

Reckon that would fly?
-Andrea
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

AGGRAVATION: I think I may have seen this complaint before -- I just spent a long time writing a comment for this thread; got sidetracked by an outside call for a bit -- came back, finished my comments and pastes; hit "preview" and got a new "sign-in" request -- that led to a total loss of my prior effort --- going back, or calling upon 'undo' does not remedy the loss -- am I missing something, or is this a big weakness in this site?

Faldaguy
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

FG - For once, the back arrow on the browser, helped me out.
I 'lost' a post once, but used the back arrow to find the post.
Copied the entire post and pasted it into a 'new' post.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:48 pm On the other hand, I'm pretty much convinced that no matter where I go, it's always going to be the same old sh!t...
You have probably got the sort of skills where you could be self employed, travelling in your motorhome fixing things for people. We had a refrigeration mechanic, with his family, camping in town once and he got heaps of work locally once word got around.
Not that I would recommend that to anyone after being self employed for most of my working life. I am a good easy going boss and very flexible about dress code but the organisation doesn't offer holiday pay, sick pay, superannuation, etc. Also people don't always pay their bills on time so it can be stressful when you have scheduled repayments for anything. At least we have Medibank here which is a huge relief from healthcare worries.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:17 am
moonshadow wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:48 pm On the other hand, I'm pretty much convinced that no matter where I go, it's always going to be the same old sh!t...
You have probably got the sort of skills where you could be self employed, travelling in your motorhome fixing things for people. We had a refrigeration mechanic, with his family, camping in town once and he got heaps of work locally once word got around.
Not that I would recommend that to anyone after being self employed for most of my working life. I am a good easy going boss and very flexible about dress code but the organisation doesn't offer holiday pay, sick pay, superannuation, etc. Also people don't always pay their bills on time so it can be stressful when you have scheduled repayments for anything. At least we have Medibank here which is a huge relief from healthcare worries.
I've already tried that. I did okay... had a few accounts, but most places either a) already have an independent that they use and trust (and aren't switching), or b) only use national names.

Plus there's the taxes (self employment tax) the complete lack of job security, constantly worrying about the truck breaking down, being "on call" forever (this industry runs 24/7/365), and of course the biggie in the U.S....

... no health insurance, unless you want to pay $1000 per month for a $10,000 deductible plan.

Been there, done that, got the tattered tee shirt...
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:54 am
denimini wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:17 am
I've already tried that. I did okay... had a few accounts, but most places either a) already have an independent that they use and trust (and aren't switching), or b) only use national names.

Plus there's the taxes (self employment tax) the complete lack of job security, constantly worrying about the truck breaking down, being "on call" forever (this industry runs 24/7/365), and of course the biggie in the U.S....

... no health insurance, unless you want to pay $1000 per month for a $10,000 deductible plan.

Been there, done that, got the tattered tee shirt...

I've told you if my job works out you will be retiring in two years and will have health insurance.Trust the process and trust me.It's going to be okay.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JennC03 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:48 pm I've told you if my job works out you will be retiring in two years and will have health insurance.Trust the process and trust me.It's going to be okay.
Well I don't mind earning my own paycheck. I don't really want to sit around the house all day every day, but I also don't want to work every waking hour of my life...

Surely to goodness there must be some middle ground! Why must it be jobs that work 15 hours per week or 80, nothing in between?
-Andrea