To the progressives here

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

To the progressives here

Post by moonshadow »

Make me feel good about this:

https://wcyb.com/news/nation-world/irs- ... le-workers

Because frankly it's making me want to vote Republican.

I have at least a hundred "what ifs" about this.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: To the progressives here

Post by Coder »

The good news is, after this is enacted, you can still deposit $500 without being targeted by the IRS (there’s sarcasm in this statement if it's not obvious). Before the threshold was $10K, or potentially lower if the bank suspected you of uncharacteristic transactions.

This will not just hurt individuals, but also small businesses that deal in cash - a lot of small party stores and other types of businesses have been accused of structuring because of how they deposit income.
Last edited by Coder on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Ha, reminds me of the Australian "Robo-debt" debacle. The federal Government Social security department, Centrelink, devised a program to check out people's elegibility to what they were claiming, no doubt by some algorithm, and then automatically send out nasty letters demanding repayment, sometimes large sums.
After many complaints, some legal challenges and a few suicides, it was found to be illegal.
https://auspublaw.org/2018/04/robo-debt-illegality/
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:01 pm Make me feel good about this:

Because frankly it's making me want to vote Republican.
I suspect that this is simply a canard to make it look like something is actually being done about tax-evasion rather than anything that will do any good. We can view it as the TSA version of the Treasury Department.

Face it, the United States is no longer a Republic, and hasn't been for decades. It's purely the "Golden Rule" now ("He who has the gold makes the rules") and little people simply cannot compete in that regard which is why the bottom 99.99% have less than a 10% stake in the national wealth and the .01% has 90% -- and steadfastly refuse to pay their fair share.

There's also the fact that the USA is increasingly a cashless economy which opens up the prospect of unlimited surveillance into everyone's basic existence. This is all be design, and the master plan is working perfectly.

Also, voting "Republican" or "Democrat" makes precisely zero difference because all the players in the major parties all answer to the same paymasters. One set wear red ties and the other set blue, but in the end it's green that rules the day.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:01 pm Make me feel good about this:

The question I have: what is "progressive" about this policy other than that it's proposed by Biden. Because AFAICT as a policy it's neither progressive, nor conservative, it just is. This policy has no social dimension at all.

Now, on the libertarian/authoritarian axis it's a bit more to the latter, but I don't think on that axis there is much difference between the two parties in the US.
moonshadow wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:01 pm I have at least a hundred "what ifs" about this.
I agree it's an odd way to go about it, but I think it's because you don't have a VAT system that you have to try and deduce stuff from monitoring bank transfers? Every business here an administration that is filing VAT reports at least every quarter which gives much more relevant information.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:15 pm The question I have: what is "progressive" about this policy other than that it's proposed by Biden. Because AFAICT as a policy it's neither progressive, nor conservative, it just is. This policy has no social dimension at all.
It's not progressive. And that's rather the point. It's also doing nothing to help small time tax payers while letting the ultra elite off... again.

Of course, how could we expect anything else from the primary designer of current civil forfeiture law?

And from all appearances it's going to be groundhog day again in 2024. Oh joy... :|
crfriend wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:31 pm I suspect that this is simply a canard to make it look like something is actually being done about tax-evasion rather than anything that will do any good
Well, it doesn't look like it worked. Blowback was heavy on both sides. Biden tried to pull a fast one though... thank goodness actual progressive voters and many in his own party called him out. As democracy should be. Unlike the other side which just has its authoritarian master, and "yes men".
Also, voting "Republican" or "Democrat" makes precisely zero difference because all the players in the major parties all answer to the same paymasters.
No, but it feels good to make the threat anyway.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

How is it that they can pass bills with thousands of pages that no one reads, all the while spending billions, yet they want to monitor our bank accounts over $600!!!!!

I seriously wish I could find a better place to move to!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

FFA, unfortunately now most western countries have conditions on who they will accept. Minimum education, minimum income, minimum pension/saving level, health insurance,that sort of thing. Which for us folk rather limits those we could go to.

As for our Bills, even though they go through various "readings" and committees in their progress onto the statute book I wonder how much of the documents sre actually read.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks SD, I didn't realise that so many things didn't happen today. I wonder what won't happen tomorrow? Dolphins will not leave the Earth yet as there are still plenty of fish for them to eat and the Vogons are nowhere in the vicinity yet. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:17 pm FFA, unfortunately now most western countries have conditions on who they will accept. Minimum education, minimum income, minimum pension/saving level, health insurance,that sort of thing. Which for us folk rather limits those we could go to.

As for our Bills, even though they go through various "readings" and committees in their progress onto the statute book I wonder how much of the documents sre actually read.
I can tell you from personal experience that the IRS is nothing to dismiss lightly. I was audited in 2007 by a rookie agent. I do not know what he thought he was going to find, but he made mountains out of ant hills. I had sold my motorcycle and a sailboat on Ebay. He insinuated that I owned an Ebay business due to those two sales. It cost me several thousand dollars in fees to my accountant who represented me. In the end, the IRS said I owed them $800. I calculated they spent more on the agent's salary than they gained by audited me.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

We are in the middle of a war. That war is psychological and informational. There is so much misinformation being spread everywhere that the truth is hard to find. Even large news organizations are involved. It reminds me of Yellow Journalism that started in the 1800's.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the links. I suspected this might be one of those sorts of distortions.

It helps to say a little about what a link says. These directly deal with the claim of monitoring $600 accounts.
CLAIM: A new tax policy allows the IRS to “monitor all transactions involving bank accounts worth more than $600.” Another new policy taxes all payments of more than $600 made through applications like PayPal and Venmo.

THE FACTS: Current tax proposals and policies do not call for either of these actions.
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 594777d596
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

To be clear, my reaction was not knee jerk.

I'm aware that the IRS will not be monitoring transactions (at least "on the record"), and frankly I've never heard of that matter of taxing transactions through PayPal. I've got other concerns.

I'm sorry though, I just can't fall in love with the IRS.
-Andrea
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:32 am To be clear, my reaction was not knee jerk.

I'm aware that the IRS will not be monitoring transactions (at least "on the record"), and frankly I've never heard of that matter of taxing transactions through PayPal. I've got other concerns.

I'm sorry though, I just can't fall in love with the IRS.
Best not too! They are wolves in sheeps clothing.