Here's to the "doers".

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Here's to the "doers".

Post by moonshadow »

Having to navigate a seemingly endless field of bureaucracy and red tape is considered normal. I know we all have had stories of situations where we were faced with an establishment, a business, a government office, or even a friend or family member who always seemed to have some excuse for not getting anything done, holding up the show, and generally being unproductive.

I've worked with people like that before. In my last job, we had this one warehouse guy that you almost had to know a secret handshake with him to get him to do anything. He had a galactic sized ego and if you didn't stoke it just right, he'd bury you under red tape, forms, and paperwork to see to it nothing got done. I often complained to others that he missed his calling and should have taken a job at the Department of Motor Vehicles, or the county treasurers office.

Pointless red tape and runarounds in American government is practically a cliché, and one of the greatest hallmarks of good old fashioned American capitalism (the private sector) was its ability to adapt to evolving situations and imperfect scenarios and simply "get it done". (Or "git 'er done" as Larry the Cable guy puts it).

Though I have noticed over the last several years, with the uprising of the "box store" and finally the wave of internet commerce, in combination with what I can only assume is a new generation of workers who were never properly educated on how to think outside of the box, often times when attempting to get complicated task and projects resolved, it can be difficult to find people who are willing to stick their neck out and make the connections.

The bigger a business becomes, the harder it becomes to actually get good customer service out of it. I myself have to deal with this from time to time in my line or work. I pride myself on my willingness and ability to seek out practical solutions for complex situations to bring about a positive resolution for the customer I'm working with. Usually when I find a "doer" in a place of business, I make it a point to continue to do my business at that establishment. If the person I'm dealing with is just a low end "rank and file" worker, I try to find management and make sure they do all they can to retain that individual.

I had one such story yesterday at my local Walmart. The week before last I had purchased a project RV (recreational vehicle) from my neighbor. It needed a little work, but the initial investment was minimal, and it will give us access to the RV life to see if it's for us. Anyway, I know enough about homes, electrical, plumbing, roof work, etc, and felt comfortable that I could easily work on a home on wheels, I know enough about vehicles to manage most common power-train issues (once I finally determined exactly what engine was in the motorhome).

It needed one tire and its spare replaced. I've never had to deal with anything this big before so I wasn't exactly sure where to look. On a whim, while shopping I stopped by the tire and auto section of the Lebanon Walmart. The lady at the county summoned one of the workers in the shop area. The man came up to me, and I told him what I had, he mulled it over, went and looked at the rating on his jack, and asked what the GVW of coach was. I told him what was on the titled. He said "ehh... I think we can". He had to special order the two tires as they didn't stock anything that size. They arrived on Sunday.

So after I got back from a three day camping trip at Gatewood Park I pulled around and spoke the man again. He had me to back it up to the entrance of his bay. The coach was too tall to actually fit in the bay door, so they jacked the camper up in the parking area, and they finally managed to get the wheel off, as well as the spare, which had never been removed since it was installed in its spare cradle in 1997.

They had to hunt around for the tools required to get the job done. It became obvious after about 15 minutes that vehicles of this size was not something they were really set up for, but in typical "good old country boy style" they came through. I commented as I paid the bill "I get the impression that Walmart generally doesn't do vehicles like this". They responded that they're not supposed to but "they try to help people out anyway they can".

Here's to the doers... they're the ones who keep the world going around for the rest of us. The ones who aren't afraid to bend a few rules, break a few others and just get the damned job done... they're a dying breed. I'm reluctant to share this story with Walmart corporate, as I feel the techs would get a reprimand for bending the rules, but I'd like to tell Walmart that that's the kind of service that keeps me coming back.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Re: Here's to the "doers".

Post by Uncle Al »

:clap: Well stated Moon :!: :clap:

I agree with you about 'corporate ideologyidiot-ology'.

The excellent worker goes unnoticed/unappreciated yet,
I'm sure the "corporate ideology" would take ALL the credit
for the super job that the front-line employee had done.

I hope he received a promotion, or a major thank you from his boss,
acknowledging the effort he put forth to make the customer happy
and keep him(you) coming back to that same store. :D

(Or the "corporate ideology' would not provide the vasoline
to the employee as they booted him out the door. :twisted: )

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, it's nice when you get people like that. They give more reason to keep giving them your business than any other. Thanks for it.

During my IT Service Delivery days our motto was JFDI, Just F*ck*ng Do It. When the mainframe would sulk in the corner at my bank all rules go out of the window for the duration. When all is back to normal then rules resume and administration, configuration issues, documentation and washup were done after the event from notes taken by a nominated "secretary" during the investigation/resolution. Whatever it took, we did. Full. Stop.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Hey Moon,

I bought this thing 3 years ago and have been restoring it since. I can do a lot of things but am growing tired and cannot always finish what I started. I need a generator installed and cannot find anyone within 100 miles to help me. I wish you were near. I would pay you well to help me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Freedomforall wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:02 am Hey Moon,

I bought this thing 3 years ago and have been restoring it since. I can do a lot of things but am growing tired and cannot always finish what I started. I need a generator installed and cannot find anyone within 100 miles to help me. I wish you were near. I would pay you well to help me.
That a Toyota? Those are pretty rare and desirable, but also unique which makes things… difficult sometimes. There may be an online community that could help. The main thing to make sure is that your rear axle is safe. There was a recall on specific model years.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

It is a 1986 Toyota Sunrader. I got a really good deal on it. My only complaint is the 4 cylinder it is equipped with. Trying to merge on an interstate is a little scarey.
The axle is the correct one. I am a member of several forums and have been unable to procure help with the generator from any of the forums.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Freedomforall wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:38 am It is a 1986 Toyota Sunrader. I got a really good deal on it. My only complaint is the 4 cylinder it is equipped with. Trying to merge on an interstate is a little scarey.
The axle is the correct one. I am a member of several forums and have been unable to procure help with the generator from any of the forums.
Excellent, though sorry to hear they’ve not been helpful on the generator. We were trying to find one like that (but in the shortest configuration), but ended up with a Roadtrek. Would have preferred the Sunrader, but getting one in good shape was really out of our price range.

Is the generator for that vehicle model-specific? For instance, certain onan generators will fit in the space alotted to the Roadtrek.

Another suggestion - have a mount welded up that holds the generator to a hidden hitch. If that interests you I will try to see if I have any pictures of this setup.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

The generator is made to go in the compartment. I thought about mounting it on the rear hitch. However, the previous owner had one mounted on the back and broke the hitch loose where it is welded to the frame. I have to get that fixed as well.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

That's a nice little camper FFA. I agree with Coder in that I've heard that there is quite a fan base for those little Toyota campers from the 1980s.

The one I got is a class A motorhome. I believe I got a fair deal on it, not a steal, but a fair deal nonetheless. The frame seems good, and five out of the six tires were in good shape. The sixth for some reason had half the tread come off. I also noted the condition of the spare was basically completely dry rotted and in need of replacement.

There are a few little things I want to do with it. Jenn also has a list of ideas she wants to try. It is in need of some TLC, but all around it seems to have good bones and maybe a few years left it it...

I can't get my generator started either, though I confess I haven't really spent much time figuring it out. I suppose that will be a little winter project of mind. As I don't plan on boondocking and rather intend to mostly stay at RV parks with all utilities present, the generator doesn't rate high on my list of priorities at this time. My neighbor said she's never used it in the eight years she owned the RV, so I'm wondering it it's seized up.
20211009_114059.jpg
20211008_084231.jpg
20211009_191903.jpg
20211009_191921.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

That is a really nice RV Moon! Is it a diesel? Also, I am about to replace the roof a/c on mine. The existing one works well but does not have heat. If you are needing a roof a/c, (I know we may not need it soon due to cold weather), but I would be happy to give it to you free!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Freedomforall wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 am That is a really nice RV Moon! Is it a diesel? Also, I am about to replace the roof a/c on mine. The existing one works well but does not have heat. If you are needing a roof a/c, (I know we may not need it soon due to cold weather), but I would be happy to give it to you free!
It takes regular unleaded gas.
It's a V8.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hey Moon and Jenn, That's a nice piece of rolling stock. From the pictures it looks to be in fantastic condition. The Generator should slide completely out of it compartment. They are usually mounted on sliding bars. Have fun with it!! :thumright:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:22 pm I hope he received a promotion
I hope not, this sounds like a guy who is in exactly the right place.

I think he be paid appropriately. It's bad if the only way to get a pay rise is to move to doing something you're not good at. See also the Peter Principle.

I'm actually happy that at my workplace we managed to get the pay scales such that a technical person can earn as much as the regional department head. Pay should be related to how valuable you are to the business, not just how high you are in the chain.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by rode_kater » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Uncle Al wrote: ↑Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:22 pm
I hope he received a promotion
I hope not, this sounds like a guy who is in exactly the right place.

I think he be paid appropriately. It's bad if the only way to get a pay rise is to move to doing something you're not good at. See also the Peter Principle.

I'm actually happy that at my workplace we managed to get the pay scales such that a technical person can earn as much as the regional department head. Pay should be related to how valuable you are to the business, not just how high you are in the chain.
The concept of pay and value are interesting parameters. Pay as a 'value' to the business seems to be a concession of capitalism and 'bottom-line-thinking' that has led to a great deal of exploitation.

I recall my father used to have a couple of conflicting colloquialisms about plumbers and pay: First they only had to know 'sh.t ran downhill & payday was every Friday' but added they should be paid the most because theirs was such a 'sh..ty' job!

Some proclaim we all only have "X" hours and as all of the inputs or cogs are necessary to make the machine run...all should be considered of equal value. Of course this gets the automatic "but Joe (Doctor, scientist...whatever) has invested so much in education; or has so much 'smarts' that they deserve more. A counter to this might be to query what would really happen if pay were not the determinant for occupational choice -- would we really have fewer dentists or lawyers -- or might people follow their true inspirations and thus we'd have a society of workers performing what they love to do regardless of the paycheck? And likely be more effective?

What is the right and proper relationship of pay to work?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

NICE RIG, Moon :D

One thing about a Class-A RV is that once you start the engine,
the journey begins :D

Have you hooked a tow-bar to Jax or Jenn's car :?: Hitch it to the
back of your rig so when you reach your destination, you can still
get somewhere without moving the RV. Then have FUN :!: :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)