Here's to the "doers".

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Here's to the "doers".

Post by Freedomforall »

JennC03 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:20 pm
Freedomforall wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 am That is a really nice RV Moon! Is it a diesel? Also, I am about to replace the roof a/c on mine. The existing one works well but does not have heat. If you are needing a roof a/c, (I know we may not need it soon due to cold weather), but I would be happy to give it to you free!
It takes regular unleaded gas.
It's a V8.
Mine is a 4 cylinder. Trying to merge on the interstate is like riding a turtle.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Faldaguy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:13 am The concept of pay and value are interesting parameters. Pay as a 'value' to the business seems to be a concession of capitalism and 'bottom-line-thinking' that has led to a great deal of exploitation.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. It's the people at the bottom level that are doing all the actual work, without them the company ceases to exist. Above them are managers where I often wonder if they are adding any value at all. At the top you have these CEOs who get millions where I seriously doubt they are worth it.

And especially the stupid idea that a manager has to get more than the people they are managing. That's such a load of crap.

It's a hard problem sure. An experienced developer can be easily 10 to 100 times more productive than a junior, but they are not paid that much more (unfortunately).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:40 am NICE RIG, Moon :D

One thing about a Class-A RV is that once you start the engine,
the journey begins :D

Have you hooked a tow-bar to Jax or Jenn's car :?: Hitch it to the
back of your rig so when you reach your destination, you can still
get somewhere without moving the RV. Then have FUN :!: :D
Thanks U.A.

When we went to Gatewood, as it was only about a 2.5 hour drive. Jenn just followed me in her car. There is a crack in the windshield that I'm going to need to save for in the event the inspector doesn't pass it next August. If he gives me the go ahead on another year I may take the savings and buy the tow bar. My neighbor allowed that his particular inspector has been letting it slide for eight years now since it's on the passenger side and the crack is mostly confined to the top and hasn't gotten any worse.

That's one trip [to the inspection station], I'll be wearing my "good old boy bibs" and trying to act like a normal country boy... :wink:

Eventually though, that inspector is going to retire and I'll just have to pony up the cash though... it's coming. Maybe we'll be in Tennessee by then and it won't matter... 8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by moonshadow » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Maybe we'll be in Tennessee by then and it won't matter... 8)
Since you have four-footed kids and big boy toys, maybe it won't matter, but the article below that I was perusing last night sure gave me qualms about anything back in the Volunteer State where I spent some time at the NAS many years ago -- at least I got a cheap pilots license, but as the tend to say in that part of the south:

You’re not being mean, you’re bein’ ugly. seems to apply still today.

https://www.propublica.org/article/blac ... esnt-exist
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Having read the article, I feel the entire bunch from the judge to the police officers should be out of work and in jail. What they did to these children is nothing less than child abuse in the 1st degree. The parents should sue the entire bunch as well as the county for millions of dollars for each child that was subjected to this barbaric treatment. :x :x :x :x
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:33 amThere is a crack in the windshield that I'm going to need to save for in the event the inspector doesn't pass it next August. If he gives me the go ahead on another year I may take the savings and buy the tow bar. My neighbor allowed that his particular inspector has been letting it slide for eight years now since it's on the passenger side and the crack is mostly confined to the top and hasn't gotten any worse.

That's one trip [to the inspection station], I'll be wearing my "good old boy bibs" and trying to act like a normal country boy... :wink:

Eventually though, that inspector is going to retire and I'll just have to pony up the cash though... it's coming. Maybe we'll be in Tennessee by then and it won't matter... 8)
Usually cracked windshields pass inspection if they don't have branches in the crack, and there is no movement between pieces. There might be a rule that it can only reach the edge of the glass once or something as well. I had a crack for years that passed. It shouldn't matter where you take it (or what you wear), but I get what you are saying.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dust wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:13 pm Usually cracked windshields pass inspection if they don't have branches in the crack, and there is no movement between pieces. There might be a rule that it can only reach the edge of the glass once or something as well. I had a crack for years that passed. It shouldn't matter where you take it (or what you wear), but I get what you are saying.
It's got more than one crack coming out of the star crack (one on the right and one on the left), and while the glass doesn't appear to be movable, according to what I read on Virginia State Code regarding windshields, it may be subject to fail.

My neighbor allowed that the inspector has been passing it as "it's not on the drivers side", which I personally think he was just cutting them a break

Virginia State Code, 19VAC30-70-210. Glass and glazing:

8. At any location in the windshield above the three-inch line at the bottom (as measured from the junction of the dash board and the windshield) there is more than one crack from the same point if at least one of the cracks is more than 1-1/2 inches in length. There is any crack that weakens the windshield so that one piece may be moved in relation to the other. (If there is more than one crack running from a star crack that extends above the three-inch line, the windshield shall be rejected.)

Submitted for review:
crack1.jpg
crack2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

A repair kit might be worth trying.
https://www.autozone.com/diy/glass/how- ... eld-cracks
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Difference in automobile glass is the windshield (screen) is composed of two thin frames of glass bonded together with a clear membrane - - -
Some have a radio antenna built in thin wire barely noticeable - mine has a heating element instantly thawing frozen ice
In an accident the glass breaks cracks or does what glass usually does but this is all held together by the clear bonding membrance -
This sort of keeps things from penetrating into the cab of the vehicle and keeping things from projecting outside (maybe your head if not wearing a seat belt).

Whereas the side windows break into a thousand or so hexagon pieces and shower the vicinity in glass non-sharp shards limiting the opportunity to get cut.
Notice when first responders (police) try to enter a locked vehicle they break the side windows rather than work around the windshield.

Each state is different in it laws regarding the safe driving of vehicles with impaired glass - interstate trucks may have even different rules laws.
Whatever do not follow trucks with exposed dualys (no mud flaps) - a stone may be easily slingshoted and voila extreme life threatening damage !

Now about that idea of towing a small car behind that motor home - use care - put something over the towed vehicle windshield to prevent stones and debris from
being kicked up the rear tires of the motor home damaging glass - or perhaps mud flaps behind the tires (one should also consider paint damage too).
Neighbors have a large motor home and tow their SUV - it is amazing what is kicked up doing travel down gravel or wet roads. Car wash anyone ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Most car insurance policies have free glass protection as part of the coverage. When I had a cracked windscreen I just called the glass company and they came to the house and replaced the entire windscreen and it did not even cost me a dime. The insurance I paid for, paid the entire amount, and my premiums did not increase either. So call your insurance agent and find out if your policy has free glass protection.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:36 pm Most car insurance policies have free glass protection as part of the coverage. When I had a cracked windscreen I just called the glass company and they came to the house and replaced the entire windscreen and it did not even cost me a dime. The insurance I paid for, paid the entire amount, and my premiums did not increase either. So call your insurance agent and find out if your policy has free glass protection.
It was like that when I purchased it, thus "pre-existing". I probably wouldn't have made the purchase had I realized how much it cost to replace an RV windshield, but it is what it is now...
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:48 pm It was like that when I purchased it, thus "pre-existing". I probably wouldn't have made the purchase had I realized how much it cost to replace an RV windshield, but it is what it is now...
Do they need to know that?? I know plenty of people who have bought cars and trucks that had cracked windshields and got the replaced by the insurance company.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here most car insurance have a window replacement for free or nominal cost. I had a rear windscreen replaced when I switched the rear screen heater on one icy winter's morning. The years of contraction/expansion over-stressed it. I phoned Autoglass and they replaced it foc, took my insurance details and the job was done.

As for cracked windscreens a crack 10mm or more in the driver's line of sight is a fail, as is any crack 40mm or more elsewhere. Chips are counted as cracks but can be repaired by clear epoxy.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.