Finding Treasure?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Finding Treasure?

Post by Uncle Al »

I wonder what treasures can be found here - - - -
Grimoire Book Store - York 2021-10-07.jpg
A good book is like a vacation to far away places,
and never having to leave the comfort of home :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Finding Treasure?

Post by Sinned »

Ah, yes, "The Grimoire Bookshop" is a cave of those books that you never knew you wanted to read. Based in High Petergate, York, within spittin' distance of the Minister Minster. Not been in it for a long while partly because I rarely go into the city centre and partly because I have to steel myself to see prices that almost require taking out a loan. Lots of quirky books in there. Amazon it is not. Thank you UA. Fortunately we have a few shops like that still buoyed up, I think, by the tourists, but they are disappearing one by one. Maybe I should visit the centre and do a Moon with my phone, take some pictures and add some commentary.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:31 pmThank you UA.---- Maybe I should visit the centre and do a Moon
with my phone, take some pictures and add some commentary.
Sounds like a fantastic idea :D
A new view of the "Old World" would be very nice :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:31 pm Ah, yes, "The Grimoire Bookshop" is a cave of those books that you never knew you wanted to read. Based in High Petergate, York, within spittin' distance of....
When you say it's based in High Petergate, that seems to imply that it moves around sometimes. Perhaps that's why I've never noticed it when in York. Is it an escapee from Harry Potter?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

geron, "based in", my colloquialism meaning "sited". Don't we love the laxness of the English language? As for not noticing, it is actually an easy shop to walk past and be unaware of - to blend into the general blandness of the surrounding retailers. High Petergate is a relatively short street, a transit from north York via Bootham Bar to the city centre so probably doesn't generate enough interest as the Minster comes into view.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Thank you, Dennis -- I shall make a point of looking for it next time I'm there. Even if there's no magic about it ;-)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I only steal into York at night to nick a few satsumas and High Petergate isn't on my list for that. Y'see they post vigilantes high up on the Minster, so one has to forage under cover of darkness.

I adore antiquarian bookshops, long may they thrive. That one looks like an Aladdin's cave.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I will endeavour to get some photos and post here. It may take a while because, due to others on sick in the store I am working more hours than normal. I'll get in a bit more nearer Christmas.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Oh, that photo has triggered an outbreak of nostagia.
Many years ago I used to go to meetings in Sydney quite often and when I was there I would visit second hand bookshops. One in particular, Goulds Bookshop in Newtown, was vast and out of control with book glaciers flowing down the aisles from walls of shelving. I found some gems there, things I never knew existed, but it took up a lot of time.
Nowadays one can find most books with a search on the internet and some unknowns come up with a search of subject matter of keywords. It doesn't have the same aroma though but is easier on the knees.
During my only trip to England I spent some time in basements along Charing Cross Road (from memory) laying on my side perusing the bottom shelves.
I disposed of much clothing for the trip home to fit books into my suit case, which ended up massivey overweight.

I like books and have a good library - all reference and non-fiction.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia