Autumn 2021

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Autumn 2021

Post by Big and Bashful »

pelmut wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:45 pm
Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:20 pm We were heading West, I think from a marina near Bradford on Avon. We found a place to turn just past Hungerford...
Hungerford is a long way East of BoA, on the other side of the Caen Hill lock flight.  I helped a friend down the Caen Hill flight just before Christmas, we averaged 9 minutes per lock, and that included some with only one paddle working.
Just looking up my memories, as I said, we started and ended at Bradford on Avon Marina, bimbled East up the Caen Hill flight (one major obstacle was a family of swans nesting right at one of the top gates, so no-one could get to those paddles). At the bottom of the flight I nearly made a big mistake, having paused for a lock to be made ready, the wind was blowing me onto some moorings so I reversed to get the boat away from them, conveniently forgetting about the orphan bridge pillar right behind me. I remembered just in time and there was no impact, but it was close, too close! anyway, we headed East and the furthest we got was Hungerford (full of antique shops), after a night there we headed further East till I could turn our 70 footer. We then headed back West, turning again at the junction just past the Dundas aqueduct if I remember right.Video evidence of the trip- https://youtu.be/qZJCVaAW7TE, the Caen hill (near) cock up starts around 52 minutes in.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now, Cep'n Boydseye, here's a Real barge. Not sure of the dimensions, but she's home to her owners the year round. Because of her size she's confined to the Shannon system and would have come there from Holland under her own power, I expect.

Moored at Garykennedy, Co. Tiperary, on L. Derg. (where we sailed to & had lunch)

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:41 pm Just looking up my memories,
[...]
Video evidence of the trip- https://youtu.be/qZJCVaAW7TE
Lovely video -- but nobody was wearing a skirt.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

This is very true, I haven't got that many mates and don't want to put my friendships to the test by indulging in skirtery on these trips. One year I spent the trip in a kilt and one of my mates commented on it, he seems to think a kilt is wrong unless you are Scottish, none of the others seemed to mind. I want to enjoy my trips and don't want to add to any stress levels (for myself or for others) when I can just put on a pair of jeans and forget about them. One other point is that on a windy day, around locks and other canal features, and even on the helm, a skirt can get a bit floaty which could be embarrassing! The most comfortable skirts I have are a couple of skater skirts, downside is that they move a lot in the wind and have no pockets. Much as I would love to wear one while boating, it could be a bad move.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:44 am Now, Cep'n Boydseye, here's a Real barge.
012022135234.jpg
And here are a couple of restored Thames sailing barges, moored one behind the other at Maldon, Essex. The brown sails and unusual rigging are traditional. They carried all kinds of cargo (coal, grain etc.) along the east coast of England and even across the Channel to and from France.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Big and Bashful wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:42 pm ... on a windy day, around locks and other canal features, and even on the helm, a skirt can get a bit floaty which could be embarrassing!
I wore a hefty brown ankle-length corduroy skirt with a longish warm underskirt for my December day on the Caen Hill flight.  We started at 08:00 in clammy mist that hung around all day and sometimes clamped the visibility down to less than two lock-lengths, so I was glad of the extra warmth (damp trousers would have been horrible).  The boat owner was quite familiar with my feminine persona and none of the other boaters, towpath walkers or fishermen seemed to notice at all.

Only once was I reminded that I was wearing a skirt and that was when I hitched my boot in the hem whilst climbing the near-vertical steps out of the cabin with both hands full.  I had to put something down so that one hand was free to lift the hem.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Geron,
What a beautiful picture and those restored barges are a sight for sore eyes. Now that they aren't ferrying goods for pence it's nice to see the hull shining white.
A few years ago I had the great pleasure of spending 10 days aboard 'LaBoheme', a 130ft 19th Century Dutch leeboarder and a remarkable similarity to the Trad. Thames barge is everywhere apparent on board her. We toured the Ijsselmeer and Markenmeer and paid a short visit to the tidal Wattenmeer.

Hats off the the Dutch for creating the entire landscape from scratch. Everything is man-made. Impressive are the twin locks between Ijsselmeer and Markenmeer, underneath which the motorway is routed so as not to interfere with sailing craft masts.

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Netherlands:

Impressive infrastructure with totally flat landscape background and Ireland immediately afterwards....The background is free!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:27 am Geron,
What a beautiful picture and those restored barges are a sight for sore eyes. Now that they aren't ferrying goods for pence it's nice to see the hull shining white.
A few years ago I had the great pleasure of spending 10 days aboard 'LaBoheme', a 130ft 19th Century Dutch leeboarder and a remarkable similarity to the Trad. Thames barge is everywhere apparent on board her. We toured the Ijsselmeer and Markenmeer and paid a short visit to the tidal Wattenmeer.

Hats off the the Dutch for creating the entire landscape from scratch. Everything is man-made. Impressive are the twin locks between Ijsselmeer and Markenmeer, underneath which the motorway is routed so as not to interfere with sailing craft masts.

Tom
Tom,
Those boats look wonderful!
The only time I have ever seen anything similar was while on TS Royalist, in the Solent. The rich folk and their Big class yachts were out and racing, another moment captured on video, quite a while ago so probably lower quality than more recent video: https://youtu.be/W9_Rf4cOnEs
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Here is an old photo of a barge fully laden with wool bales at Kirkpatrick's wharf (now my crumbling empire) around 1890. The barges were towed by a paddle steamer.
postcard_15pse.jpg
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Great photo, that paddle tug looks well laden as well as the barge!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's a nice classic photo Anthony, and zooming in on it, which I did this morning, really brings out a surprising level of detail.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:44 am Now, Cep'n Boydseye, here's a Real barge. Not sure of the dimensions, but she's home to her owners the year round. Because of her size she's confined to the Shannon system and would have come there from Holland under her own power, I expect.

Moored at Garykennedy, Co. Tiperary, on L. Derg. (where we sailed to & had lunch)

Tom
Yep, a proper barge, unfortunately not a narrowboat and would be very limited in the area it could access on the English canals. It would be a fantastic floaty house for someone who was happy to stick to the larger watery bits!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

B&B,
Lock size again. The Ardnacrusha dam lock near Limerick dictates what may enter the non-tidal Shannon. 120 X 18 feet. That Dutch barge looks about 90 X 16 feet.
I met Joe Treacy who rescued and restored Barge 4E. At 60' X 13'6" she can travel the entire connected system here. and they researched the bridge clearances carefully before the rebuild. She has a six-pot 5 liter diesel now. Nowadays his family are replating old craft as a business.

Tom
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Tom... marvellous pictures, and you seem to have had marvellous weather too!

Meanwhile, some possibilities here for a short break in England ;-)
https://www.bargetrust.org/barges/centaur/
If you scroll down to the gallery of old photos, you'll see a remarkable inland shot of this vessel at Harvey's brewery at Lewes in Sussex, with her masts lowered. This was because she'd had to pass under a railway bridge during her journey up the River Ouse from the south coast.