Autumn 2021

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Autumn 2021

Post by Kirbstone »

I expect a lot of you haven't had it happen to you yet, but up here our weather held up admirably right until the end of Sept, when on Oct.1st our day temp dropped 12 deg. Centipede overnight and a PM temp. of Nine degrees greeted us, with attendant squally rain &c. Not so dire today with a 'high' of 12 Celsius. It won't take long to colour all the leaves at this rate.

A quick trip to Kerry to pick up a few things and there wasn't much visible, clearly that is. Modelling Autumn apparel by the Farm Gate was a squelchy business. No place for fancy footwear.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Autumn 2021

Post by Sinned »

The outfit looks very fetching, Tom. The temperature has also dropped here but not enough to put the central heating on but with snow forecast sometime soon this winter putting the heating on won't be far off. I would maybe have to think about taking out a mortgage before doing so with energy prices being as high as they are. Still, it's only money. I will put on the thick tights an extra layer up top, warm jumper and a thicker, lined skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Love the T-shirt, Tom!

May the Force (8, probably, 4 hopefully) be with you ;-)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now that was clumsy of you, Cep'n Boydseye!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

It wasnae me! it does look rather well stuck! I am guessing that rather than a numpty trying to turn there, some muppet passed it way to past and one end got torn free of the bank, letting it drift across the cut. We have had to push boats back a couple of times and moored them so that we could pass them. This year a lot of canal vloggers are complaining about the number of boats speeding on the canals. It's amazing how a breakneck speed like 3 mph kicks up a damaging wash in a shallow canal!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I thought that only container ships in the Suez Canal could do that !

And it looks like too much boat for the available pier parking space.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

At least that was a narrowboat stuck across a relatively small canal. I believe someone got something much larger stuck across the Suez Canal a few months ago!!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Canals are very carefully designed and narrowboats are very carefully dimensioned so that this kind of thing can't happen.  A 70ft boat should be able to turn in any of the 'winding holes', so it looks as though there may be an underwater obstruction or the offside embankment has moved or been incorrectly repaired.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Irish canals are not designed for narrow boats. All these were imported from the UK in latter years by leisure cruise operators and some are now lived in or in constant use. Few if any are 70-footers.
Two competing syndicates built commercial East-West waterways in the late 18th- early 19th Century. The locks dictated barge size. Both opted for 14 foot width locks, the Royal canal opting for 60-foot boat length, the Grand & Barrow navigation accommodating 70-foot boats, These tend to have a beam of about 13'6" and hundreds have been restored and converted to cruising/residential use. Superstructure height is dictated by clearance under the lowest bridge one is likely to encounter.

Shannon locks are much larger.

Larger still is the craft illustrated and the articulated toothpick is just attending to her bow thruster :eye:, with which she was having a little difficulty just then.

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Further to my treatise on Irish canals, in 1980 a dedicated enthusiast, Joe Treacy found this 60ft. hulk on a dried-out section of the Royal Canal, restored it to its present form by 1982 and set up an industry restoring scores of similar former commercial barges.

Waterways Ireland restored the 'Royal' to use and re-watered it in the Noughties with sensational effect on the associated tourist industry.

Tom
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

pelmut wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:15 pm Canals are very carefully designed and narrowboats are very carefully dimensioned so that this kind of thing can't happen.  A 70ft boat should be able to turn in any of the 'winding holes', so it looks as though there may be an underwater obstruction or the offside embankment has moved or been incorrectly repaired.
It's a strange one, I agree there doesn't look like enough bank to moor the boat at, however if someone was trying to wind the boat there why would they disappear and leave the boat like that? Even if they got it stuck I would expect them to be there with barge poles, working the engine, rocking the boat etc to break it free. If the boat is too long to use the winding holes on the canals, it wouldn't fit the locks would it?
I know when we took to the Kennet and Avon on a 70 footer we were starting to worry about getting turned round to head back to the boatyard, the books and maps we had showed the winding holes, but when we got to the holes they had signs on them stating max. lengths of 50 or 55 feet mostly, glad to say that we did find one long enough eventually. Apparently there should have been a map showing the sizes of the winding holes.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:03 am ...the books and maps we had showed the winding holes, but when we got to the holes they had signs on them stating max. lengths of 50 or 55 feet mostly, glad to say that we did find one long enough eventually. Apparently there should have been a map showing the sizes of the winding holes.
If you were heading westwards, there is a good big turning basin at Dundas.  The winding hole at the blind end of the Somersetshire Coal Canal (a stub off the K&A Canal) was enlarged to allow 70ft boats to turn by taking a bite out of the bank and relocating one of the café tables.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

That boat broke free during Storm Barra while unattended. I suspect the pic. is foreshortened. It's clear where it had been moored, in that bay out of the main stream. they sorted it out within hours of its being discovered.

To construct that canal through sometimes boggy terrain they built ambitious embankments &c. These were hijacked some 50 years later by the rail companies who chose to follow the canal route & sounding the death-knell for commercial waterways, which went out of use in 1960, about a decade before the tourist traffic started.

70 foot boats are unpopular, as they cannot navigate the 'Royal' from North Dublin to Tarmonbarry on the Shannon.

Tom
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

pelmut wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:27 am
Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:03 am ...the books and maps we had showed the winding holes, but when we got to the holes they had signs on them stating max. lengths of 50 or 55 feet mostly, glad to say that we did find one long enough eventually. Apparently there should have been a map showing the sizes of the winding holes.
If you were heading westwards, there is a good big turning basin at Dundas.  The winding hole at the blind end of the Somersetshire Coal Canal (a stub off the K&A Canal) was enlarged to allow 70ft boats to turn by taking a bite out of the bank and relocating one of the café tables.
We were heading West, I think from a marina near Bradford on Avon. We found a place to turn just past Hungerford, then headed back, past the marina and turned somewhere near Bath. We enjoyed it and might do it again sometime.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Big and Bashful wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:20 pm We were heading West, I think from a marina near Bradford on Avon. We found a place to turn just past Hungerford...
Hungerford is a long way East of BoA, on the other side of the Caen Hill lock flight.  I helped a friend down the Caen Hill flight just before Christmas, we averaged 9 minutes per lock, and that included some with only one paddle working.