Local Medical Crisis

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Local Medical Crisis

Post by moonshadow »

https://wcyb.com/news/local/ballad-heal ... reat-first
There are no ICU beds left in our region.
Forty-three percent of new cases are in kids. Nine children are hospitalized.
Ballad officials are still urging people to get vaccinated. In this record number of COVID-19 ICU patients, all but one are unvaccinated.
all but one are unvaccinated.

no comment
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Local Medical Crisis

Post by Coder »

Yeah, Delta is quite concerning. Numbers up here in MI are climbing but not at crisis levels yet - I think we are slightly more vaccinated that some of the southern states but IMHO we still have at least 30-40% of people vulnerable to Delta. I know admissions for children - while still low in total number - are higher than they were for the original strain.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Forrest Gump - "Stupid is what stupid does" !

I am not going to get the shot - you get the shot - that way you won't affect me with whatever !

Failing to realize that the infector factor might maybe {me} the unvaccinated person !

I had the Pfizer 1 & 2 and waiting for the approval of the booster
The shots are FREE - if you don't have any side-effects get the FREE shot(s) stupid
The herd will love you for it.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I just can't say anything. I just sit here in awe.

I mean, I'm literally speechless. These people in my region still don't even care. They're as anti-vax as ever. I thought for sure the situation with the children would have steered their opinion, but I was wrong.

I just don't know what else to say. I avoid people at all cost, and Jenn and I completely keep to ourselves anymore. We want nothing more to do with these people. I fancy that my outfits seem to keep them at a good distance less they catch "the gay" from me. Suits me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I understand people who don’t trust the shot because it’s so new to the market - long term effects unknown and all. I got the jab regardless of my fears of long-term issues, it’s a crapshoot. I figure if it kills me years from now, I probably don’t want to be in a world where most of the population is gone. My chance of having tubes put into me is now far less than the unvaccinated.

What I don’t understand - the people I know who avoid it because of “chemicals!!!!!” - are the same who - yes - literally took horse medicine to treat covid (I’m sorry to say I know someone who did this). I’m sorry, but either you eschew all medical care and treatment (ibuprofen, otc drugs, horse paste, regular medical treatments), or understand that the shot is going to keep you from having serious or long term covid side effects.

An older couple I was talking with said to me recently, “but is it really all that bad? It isn’t that deadly”. And true - individually we probably don’t personally know that many people who died… but it isn’t necessarily about death. It’s a lot of things beyond death:

Burden on the medical system
Nurse burnout (I know one who’s contemplating leaving because the covid icu is not a pleasant place to work)
Delayed elective procedures (has happened to several family members)
Even if you survive the hospital, there’s a high chance of long-term covid effects

And the list goes on, not to mention variants (although with how delta is infecting vaccinated I fear it’s only time before that escapes the vaccine).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:50 amThese people in my region still don't even care. They're as anti-vax as ever. I thought for sure the situation with the children would have steered their opinion, but I was wrong.
As has been observed in the past, "Ya can't fix stupid!" (at least legally)

I'm to the point where I am fully willing to "Let Uncle Chuck sort it out." Let the stupid die off. Unfortunately, new mutations/variants will emerge from that cohort that can do serious damage to the rest of us. I'm all for triage rules stipulating "Not vaccinated? Back of the line for care." But that's not going to solve the issue for the species.

Isolation may seem like the safe bet, but that's not going to be good enough -- and that'll come with a host of other issues that'll cause distress and angst.

I'm also starting to veer to the point of view that if you're not vaccinated and contact-tracing points to you a a vector that has harmed another then you're responsible for their financial burden of health "care" (or what passes for in the good ol' USA).

We may not be able to fix stupid, but we can make it hurt -- and it doesn't hurt anywhere near enough right now.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by crfriend » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:16 pm

moonshadow wrote: ↑Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:50 pm
These people in my region still don't even care...
As has been observed in the past, "Ya can't fix stupid!" (at least legally)

I'm also starting to veer to the point of view that if you're not vaccinated and contact-tracing points to you a a vector that has harmed another then you're responsible for their financial burden...

We may not be able to fix stupid, but we can make it hurt -- and it doesn't hurt anywhere near enough right now.
Amen.

Not as good as Alcatraz, but let TX build a Covid Freedom wall all the way around it -- quarantine everyone without the vaccine there! :twisted: Asylum for UA!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As milfmog's signature put it:

"Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

And that's why I don't even talk about it locally anymore. Whenever it comes up I'll either change the subject or just say "no comment".
Coder wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:56 am What I don’t understand - the people I know who avoid it because of “chemicals!!!!!” - are the same who - yes - literally took horse medicine to treat covid
I heard something about this. These people won't accept a vaccine that has been proven safe and effective AROUND THE WORLD, and yet they'll down a box of horse dewormer because right wing media told them it was okay to do so....

Speechless...

OAN, Fox, Newsmax, Trump... if you're listening, do us all a favor, inform your flock that they can fly if they jump off a high rise building... :roll:
crfriend wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:16 am I'm also starting to veer to the point of view that if you're not vaccinated and contact-tracing points to you a a vector that has harmed another then you're responsible for their financial burden of health "care" (or what passes for in the good ol' USA).
Insurance companies can start denying claims to covid patients that didn't get the vaccine. And lawmakers can codify laws that make it impossible to bankrupt the medical bills that follow, similar to how they do with student loans.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Nine kids in the ICU system now, there have already been quite a few child deaths.

As children under 12 can not get vaccinated, mask and social distancing are their best defense.

However, TN Gov. Lee (R) made sure that parents have the final say whether their children will be wearing a mask in public schools despite objections and warnings from schools boards, doctors, and other medical professionals. Thus there can never truly be a "mask mandate" in Tennessee public schools, any mask orders will be strictly voluntary.

https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/pub ... -lee84.pdf

I'd like to see a GOP lawmaker or hardcore Trumpie come up to me and start talking their abortion "pro-life" nonsense. Watch me turn around and walk off on them while they are talking.

They're not pro-life. Simple as that.

I'd also like to know why the party that supports your right to decide what goes into your body (vaccines), is also the party that opposes your right to decide what goes into your body (marijuana)? I've popped this question to a few people locally... all I get are blank stares.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:58 amInsurance companies can start denying claims to covid patients that didn't get the vaccine. And lawmakers can codify laws that make it impossible to bankrupt the medical bills that follow, similar to how they do with student loans.
That's certainly a possibility. Astonishingly, it's even been mooted in Massachusetts of abolishing the "religious exemption" for vaccines in the state. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the actual story because the sound was off on the telly, but that's what the caption stated. That's impressive for a 15-Century mentality state like MA.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:06 pm That's certainly a possibility. Astonishingly, it's even been mooted in Massachusetts of abolishing the "religious exemption" for vaccines in the state. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the actual story because the sound was off on the telly, but that's what the caption stated. That's impressive for a 15-Century mentality state like MA
Well, it really makes the most sense business wise, and since we all know that in America, money and profit are the most important things in the universe, and the sole purpose of the medical industry is to make money, it seems justifiable to reward those who lighten the load on insurance claims and punish those who unnecessarily tax the system.

The vaccine is cheap and effective, a stay in the covid ICU can run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Though reports indicate it averages around 70k. A covid shot cost taxpayers about $30 per dose ($60 total).

2,333 people could have been vaccinated (one dose) for the price of one ICU visit. Indeed, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure".

Make the sum-b!tches pay their own way. This is America after all, we don't exactly abide freeloaders.
-Andrea
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Coder wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:56 am

An older couple I was talking with said to me recently, “but is it really all that bad? It isn’t that deadly”. And true - individually we probably don’t personally know that many people who died… but it isn’t necessarily about death. It’s a lot of things beyond death:

Burden on the medical system
Nurse burnout (I know one who’s contemplating leaving because the covid icu is not a pleasant place to work)
Delayed elective procedures (has happened to several family members)
Even if you survive the hospital, there’s a high chance of long-term covid effects

And the list goes on, not to mention variants (although with how delta is infecting vaccinated I fear it’s only time before that escapes the vaccine).
That list includes, mental health issues, breathing problems, erectile dysfunction, loss of taste/smell.

Most of these are common, and (particularly if you end up hospitalized by the virus) long term.

I've been wearing basic medical masks since pretty much the beginning, and while our numbers aren't as bad as elsewhere, they are climbing again. I think I will switch to N95 masks, I'm already resigned myself to continuing semi isolation, and limiting contact as much as possible, despite being fully vaccinated.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Over here we have had a few anti-vaxxers that have died of covid. The problem is that they take up valuable ICU space, potentially for months. In their anti-vaxx mentality they don't factor this in because we have ( largely ) free treatment.

In Europe, France in particular, they are ruling that in order to do anything remotely usual you need a certificate saying that you have had both jabs. It's a powerful incentive to get vaccinated when you can't get a meal in a restaurant or even a pint in a pub without your vaccination certificate. Maybe that should be a universal condition.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

100% correct.
Twice in the last week I have dined 'out' inside in restaurant/pubs and not only do they demand your EU Vaccs Cert, but also your driver's licence as your accompanying ID. Then they have the addresses of everyone on the premises.

For those seated outside, and there are now a lot of those, the cert is not required, but if one of them wants to go inside to the loo, for instance, they must produce the aforementioned certs.
Only last (glorious) Friday I was lunching with my eldest bro. & wife at the 16th Century Abbey Tavern in Howth, Co. Dublin, which seats about 40-odd people out front under sunshades, when one of the 'outsiders' sought to come in and was turned away by vigilant staff with the explanation that they needed to see his certs., which he didn't have.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:41 amTwice in the last week I have dined 'out' inside in restaurant/pubs and not only do they demand your EU Vaccs Cert, but also your driver's licence as your accompanying ID. Then they have the addresses of everyone on the premises.
In my case, and it may be one of the few benefits of living in a small hamlet in Massachusetts, the folks at my local take me at my word that I have been vaccinated (I have offered to produce proof), and most of 'em know where I live, so that's not an issue.

But, yes, these are important tools -- and I'll stick to my opinion that we (as societies) need to "make stupid hurt". Not vaccinated? Back of the queue for care. Infect someone else due to your stupidity or obstinance, foot the health-care bill for those you injured.