You think it's hot?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

You think it's hot?

Post by Uncle Al »

How hot is it :?:
10day forcast 2021-07-24.jpg
I'm staying inside :!: Won't be going out unless absolutely necessary :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: You think it's hot?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

What is the humidity level in Dallas/Ft Worth? If it is very low those temps will not feel as bad as if the humidity is at 95% at which point those temps will be absolute killers..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

DFW maybe different from Houston where one could be swimming in the tropical humidity
Anywhere near water the temperature could be in the liquid state
Get out west of the Pecos and the dry desert oven heat kicks in baking things
Go below sea level (Death Valley) natures microwave oven kicks in overtime
Frying an egg on blacktop pavement is easy sunny side up

Man's contract with nature has reached a point of world wide scorched earth
warfare in the flooded urban trenches - the melting artic ice field - Brazilian forests
destroying the carbon recycling process -
water water everywhere but where we need it and unpotable and the price
soon to be going for more than petroleum fuel

Maybe Nostradamus has a quatrain for this and it ain't going to be pleasant !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Here's a scientific article on the danger of high heat and high humidity.
Science Advances wrote:The emergence of heat and humidity too severe for human tolerance
Colin Raymond, Tom Matthews and Radley M. Horton

Abstract
Humans’ ability to efficiently shed heat has enabled us to range over every continent, but a wet-bulb temperature (TW) of 35°C marks our upper physiological limit, and much lower values have serious health and productivity impacts. Climate models project the first 35°C TW occurrences by the mid-21st century. However, a comprehensive evaluation of weather station data shows that some coastal subtropical locations have already reported a TW of 35°C and that extreme humid heat overall has more than doubled in frequency since 1979. Recent exceedances of 35°C in global maximum sea surface temperature provide further support for the validity of these dangerously high TW values. We find the most extreme humid heat is highly localized in both space and time and is correspondingly substantially underestimated in reanalysis products. Our findings thus underscore the serious challenge posed by humid heat that is more intense than previously reported and increasingly severe.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/19/eaaw1838
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:17 pmHere's a scientific article on the danger of high heat and high humidity.
Similar statistical studies were carried out in the aftermath of the August, 2003 heat-wave that badly affected much of Europe, and Paris in particular. Particularly telling were the results about night-time low temperatures which allow stressed human systems to recover from the rigours of daytime.

And yet we're incessantly told that climate change is a fallacy and that it's not happening. What gives? Why are we being lied to? Who profits?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

'Some like it hot!' brings to mind that classic comedy B&W film with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Marlyn...

Well, 'tis a great little corner of the Globe to be livin' in, here, where we merely read about the extremes of wildfires and floods happening in many parts. Sure we get storms, floods, heatwaves and freeze-ups, but the Irish versions of these tend to be relatively mild.

My job puts me in close (relatively brief) conversation with a lot of people daily, a quite high proportion of them from all corners of the Globe, most of them resident. Very quickly they fall into the largest topic of light conversation.....the weather. But all agree that we have really little to complain about and agree also that if we DID get 4-6 weeks' reliable Sun in the Summer, Little ol' Ireland just has to be one of the loveliest places to be and our tourism would boom.

But we don't. Just now they tell us we're coming to the end of our current heatwave which kept us dry & warm for 2+ weeks. A bit of rain next week would be very welcome, but come August we'll be looking for more fine warm days.....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't care what the numbers say but when it is so hot and humid at night that I sweat all the time and have broken sleep then IT IS HOT. Currently I need to cold shower twice a day.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Here in central Massachusetts, it's so humid that the atmosphere is visible, and that's not helped by the smoke we're getting subjected to from all the wildfires out west. I finally had to go for a drive this afternoon to get some air-conditioning before going to score supper. Tonight is going to be bad. I'm going to head into the office tomorrow simply to get out of the hot/humid/smoke environment which has already been billed as hazardous.

Atop all the other respiratory problems going on at the moment we did not need this.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Jim wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:17 pm Here's a scientific article on the danger of high heat and high humidity.
Science Advances wrote:The emergence of heat and humidity too severe for human tolerance
Colin Raymond, Tom Matthews and Radley M. Horton

Abstract
Humans’ ability to efficiently shed heat has enabled us to range over every continent, but a wet-bulb temperature (TW) of 35°C marks our upper physiological limit, and much lower values have serious health and productivity impacts. Climate models project the first 35°C TW occurrences by the mid-21st century. However, a comprehensive evaluation of weather station data shows that some coastal subtropical locations have already reported a TW of 35°C and that extreme humid heat overall has more than doubled in frequency since 1979. Recent exceedances of 35°C in global maximum sea surface temperature provide further support for the validity of these dangerously high TW values. We find the most extreme humid heat is highly localized in both space and time and is correspondingly substantially underestimated in reanalysis products. Our findings thus underscore the serious challenge posed by humid heat that is more intense than previously reported and increasingly severe.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/19/eaaw1838
I just got back from a week in Orlando Florida, and have a couple of statements.
Walking around in the open sunshine with the ambient at 37°C with a dew point of 30°C does take a toll.
The Weather Underground station at Epcot did measure that last Wednesday when I was doing the "Disney Hollywood Studios" park a couple miles away.
I actually ran out of will to keep on going right at the line between toy story land and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge sections.
And flirting with heat stroke didn't help my asthma one damned bit.
I did to a lot of drinking and even then, still saw signs of dehydration in my urine even with pushing the 1/2l bottles of water at $3.50 each.
And yeah sarongs do rock the tropical climates. My usual outfit was an aloha shirt and a sarong.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

If you need something cool to wear try these and they are marketed to me....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113748439494
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:24 am If you need something cool to wear try these and they are marketed to me....

BEWARE the hem length - flirting with barely legal if that !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:24 am If you need something cool to wear try these and they are marketed to me....

I've considered getting one of those. The length looks comfortable. I like that it says it's for men and women. But my wife doesn't believe that and thinks it's too fem.