What are you afraid of

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

What are you afraid of

Post by Gusto10 »

As indicated in another thread, CrF and I agreed that we were afraid of things happening in this world. We reflected on what happend a century ago in this world, etc.

My question to all: what makes you afraid without getting into the intricacies of politics. Some idea's:
The windmills (of your mind)
EV's and the CO2 footprint of an EV
Forest distruction in NC and the biomass used for electricity
Hydrogin versus electricity versus atomic energy as fuel
The economical consequences of covid, less airplanes due to less tourist activity, lay up of cruiseships end the financial consequences.
mass hypnosis.
The facebook lifestyle.
freedom of speech versus political correctness.
Etc.
Last edited by Gusto10 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What are you afraid of

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm a stickler for spelling.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Okay, I’m in.

I’m afraid of the following:

Climate change
Plastics pollution
The rise of political extremism
Unfettered gun ownership
Bad grammar
Overpopulation of the planet
Destruction of rainforests.
Not having enough money in retirement (I’m going to be fine - but the fear remains)
Ripping expensive sheer hosiery within minutes of putting a new pair on.

That’s about it.

Ray
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Chinese and Russian posturing. China threatening to nuke Japan to obliteration especially as such countries have the capability to do so. This could precipitate the domino effects of retaliations.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am afraid of dogma and illogical thought, which is probably responsible for most of the things that Ray listed and I empathise with.

........... and greed ............ and psychopaths (with no empathy or consideration for others).

I suppose generally some sorts of human behaviour ......... not much else. Oh ..... strong winds (probably just the situation I live in with old buildings needing roof repair).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My son was married to a sociopath. She ticked all the boxes characterising her condition. He died in 2008 and we have had no contact with her since. We call her the Black Witch whenever we have to refer to her, which is rarely.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ray's list and Anthony's followup are pretty good, though I wouldn't go so far to sat I'm "afraid" of those things, just concerned for future generations.

Regarding climate change, with the path we're on now, I'd say things will be getting pretty unbearable in the next 50-100 years. I expect some problems of biblical proportions to play out at the worst, as changing landscapes and unpredictable weather patterns deplete global food supplies, cheap oil runs low, and the world's super powers engage in full on [possible nuclear] conflicts as we fight over what few resources remain.

I think we're in the beginning phases of some really nasty stuff coming down the line, and by the time I hit 70 in 2050, I'm pretty sure I will not have the luxuries that current 70 year olds enjoy. The United States may very well be in full on collapse mode (for real... like... game over, e.g. Rome, not like this child's play we're dealing with today... hoist a new flag kind of collapse.)

I'll probably die in a concentration camp. Maybe... I might not let them take me alive.

So... I enjoy my life as best as possible today. Maybe the future won't be that bad, but you never know. It doesn't hurt to be live free today at any rate.

Humans are retarded. I don't fear them, I don't fear the future. I try not to worry about it. What good does it do to worry? I live my life, I mind my own business. My greatest contribution was not bringing any new life into this world. That's about the best I can do, for I am powerless to stop the runaway folly and vice that has infected the human species.

The only thing I'm afraid of is heights.

The fact that the human species might just go extinct makes me smile.

Come on... am I the only one that roots for the monster in horror films? :lol:

"The PLANET will be fine... it's the PEOPLE that are f--ked!"

-George Carlin
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I'm not afraid as such, fear doesn't help anyone. But my main concern about climate change is that it will render large tracts of Africa uninhabitable. Several billion people live there and they are not going to all sit around quietly starving to death.

Maybe it won't happen. Maybe the weather patterns will make Africa better not worse. But there's a good chance a lot of people are going to move, and people don't like it when other people move onto "their" patch.

Maybe low risk, but the costs are astronomical.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Pretty much everything. It's amazing I make it out of the house on some days, but greater fears push lesser fears out of the way.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fear, like stress is the result of giving a ....... :wink:

In the brackets below I shall count the number the ________'s I give...

[_______]

:lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Fear does not stop death JPG 2020-12-31.jpg
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Why worry? There really isn't anything to worry about.. We are born and then we die. Everything in between is just gravy.[1] Enjoy it!!!
:toast: :pint: :kiltdance: :dance:

[1] Sauce to you Brits.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Smilies
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

What needs attention I guess is the lumber cutting in North Carolina in order to create bio-mass for European energy mills. Also from the wood cut in the US, pellets are made for pellet furnaces, fired by electricity, kept burning on pellets (wood from which the CO2 was distracted), shipped from the US to Europe, etc. How about the CO2 footrpint? And no electricity, no phone working with bluetooth to "instruct" the furnace, no warmth.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Nothing much, being burned to death, that's got to hurt I suppose.

Immortality would be bad, I am glad I won't be around to see a world where you can't drive a car without a bloody computer interfering. Nations are already starting to fight over drinking water, the weather is getting more interesting every year and humanity won't cut back on breeding, I don't want to be around to see the end result!

What else? Erm, I know we are ever so mortal, with a brother on chemo, a sister with Parkinsons, a good friend who survived a major bleed in his brain, as I get older I am getting my nose rubbed in our mortality more and more, it doesn't frighten me, something will get me in the end so there's no point in worrying about it.

I no longer ride my motor bike, after dropping it the last time and spending a lot of money to get it back on the road I couldn't relax when riding, a mixture of a heavy, powerful bike with no modern safety features like traction control and clever brakes, together with not being able to relax when riding because I didn't trust other vehicles at junctions. I wasn't afraid but I wasn't enjoying it any more.

On balance, nothing I am really afraid of other then the stuff above. I cannot understand why people are afraid of stuff like spiders, one person who worked for me some time ago was afraid of cats, dogs, driving to Paisley (she hadn't done it before and so was scared to), as far as I could make out she was afraid of animals and inanimate objects and everything else!

Oh yes, there is something, vertigo. I am not good at heights, not unless there is something like a barrier or a window to stop me falling. I love looking out of plane windows but parachuting? oh no! no no no! I did climb the mast on Royalist but really did not like the leaning back and trying to climb round the platform bit was scary, so was abseiling, did that twice. I even get some horrible twinges while watching people on top of wind turbines etc. on YouTube! sitting in my chair, looking at my PC screen, I can still get a twinge of vertigo. Yep, the thought of being separated from the planet by a small distance and linked by gravity is not good.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fred, gravy train is when you participate in a lucrative scheme that earns you lots of money for very little effort.