What are you afraid of

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What are you afraid of

Post by Fred in Skirts »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:50 pmIn the recent joint military exercises between Australia and the US that are going on in Queensland, there has been a number of Chinese military vessels keeping an eye on what's going on from international waters, and they in turn have been very carefully monitored to ensure that they don't get up to any mischief while they're there.
They are doing as much mischief as they can by monitoring all radio and microwave communications. They also are using satellites to over see what is going on. They want to rule the world and have decided to start doing what ever they can to advance that project.

Yes we also use radio and microwave spying networks on them too, just to thwart their world domination quest. Or we used to!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My real great fear is of big hairy spiders and even the harmless large garden spiders we have over here give me the jeebies. I couldn't have skin contact with any of them. If found I use a large bowl and piece of card to trap it and usher it outside and away from the house. Scariest moment was when I had been transporting a load of wood to the tip and the next day we, as a family, went to an amusement park. On the way there a huge garden spider popped out from behind the sun visor to say hello. Ever had a car stop from 55mph to 0 in 10 feet? Then followed a few minutes ushering it out of the car. Shudder.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Dennis, you are not alone in not liking SPIDERS! While I don't fear them I just hate to see one in the house. Living in the Southern part of the US we have some extremely large spiders upwards of 3 inches across or more, imagine one of these monsters suddenly dropping down and landing in your lap. It can make for a funny sight as I dance and jump around trying to get it off me. While most are not poisonous we do have several that are very deadly. The Black Widow, the Brown Recluse are two of the worst and they are everywhere.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm On the way there a huge garden spider popped out from behind the sun visor to say hello. Ever had a car stop from 55mph to 0 in 10 feet? Then followed a few minutes ushering it out of the car. Shudder.
They must like sunvisors. I have had a similar experience once when the sun got in my eyes, a big huntsman flopped down onto the dashboard which made it difficult to concentrate on the road.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I'm not afraid of spiders but from growing up in Australia I know that they should be treated with respect. Do not panic, but keep your distance until you have identified it. Huntsmans are fine indoors, everything else should be moved outside.

Being in Europe it's like "there are no dangerous spiders here so what's the problem?". As such if there's a spider I'm always the one that has to move it :)
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I remember hearing on a BBC nature programme some years ago that the UK has about 500 species of spider, yet only two have a bite that may trouble humans. Since we're on an island with an attenuated fauna, it must be worse where rode_kater lives :-(
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I don't live in fear of spiders and snakes but I certainly am wary of them.
A local guy got bitten on his thumb by a Common Brown snake, while he was in bed (you are not even safe in bed). He survived with prompt medical care but has ongoing health problems ........ nasty.
A friend got bitten by a spider and died 3 times, luckily they were able to revive him 3 times. He was actually conscious each time his heart monitor flat-lined ......... also nasty.

Centipedes are not so venemous but large ones give me the creeps.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

denimini wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:43 am I don't live in fear of spiders and snakes but I certainly am wary of them.

A friend got bitten by a spider and died 3 times, luckily they were able to revive him 3 times. He was actually conscious each time his heart monitor flat-lined ......... also nasty.
I hear you. I've had a few encounters with green tree snakes, eastern (and western) brown snakes and countless carpet pythons. One evening one of the cats began to growl near the front door, upon investigation I found what I think was a small (about half a metre) in length which was inside the house and having a lot of trouble getting traction on the polished wooden floor. That one unfortunately did not survive the encounter with me.
For some reason I am fairly comfortable with redback spiders (they will give you a nasty nip but certainly not lethal) but the 4 inch huntsmans are one that I am not comfortable with...

While I was in the hospital getting my leg reassembled 11 years ago there was a guy also there who had been bitten at night by a white tailed spider, one which is known to cause tissue death and sometimes blood poisoning, he came close to loosing his foot to the spider's bite.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I know that the USA has some nasty mean and deadly snakes and spiders as well as some other critters, BUT you Aussies seem to have received the worse of the bunch and in such numbers that it is almost impossible to avoid them.
I am glad I don't have to put up with them!!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

At this very m oment I'm afraid that I might be kicked of SC for having my own thoughts on matters which keep us all busy.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Here on this damp green rock our native fauna are all harmless to humans. An exception being wasps, I suppose.

Some years ago when the anti-fur people were active they dissolved a few mink farms, allowing them to escape into the wild. They went feral straight away and are our chief poultry predator along with the fox. Unlike the fox, they have a reputation of being aggressive when cornered, but I don't know anyone who has had a close encounter with one. We have certainly lost poultry to them here, but I've never caught sight of one on our premises.

The most dangerous are cruising low-life humans. We keep several large dogs as our defence against them, so they pass us by looking for softer targets to burgle.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Gusto, having thoughts of your own is not a crime, especially not on here. And it's unlikely that you will be kicked out. You may decide to leave of your own accord because your views don't correspond with what is thought on here, but that's a different matter. Trying to mix emotion and logic just doesn't work. I meet it every day at home.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I had a very close encounter with a brown snake this morning. I was moving a heavy piece of timber that was leaning against a wall and only after getting it balanced on my shoulder did I look down to see where I was stepping. There was a brown snake right at my feet and luckily it was heading away from me so I just remained still until it got to a safe distance. I could have thrown the lump of lumber onto it but considering it didn't bite me when it had every chance, I gave it mutual respect. I was in a 10" mini skirt so there was plenty of bare leg available
Life is strange, I have had 2 shots of vacination against COVID to reduce risk but came so close to being bitten by a brown snake which is a really serious life threatening situation. A religious or superstitious person would have attributed my escape to more than good luck.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Whatever, Anthony, but accept fortune where you find it and be grateful. There is probably a universe where the snake did bite you [0] so be thankful you are in this universe,

[0] You may be aware that for every meaningful action or decision there is another universe that continued with a different action or decision.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The only universe I worry about is the one I am in right now. The me in other universes can worry about themselves. :lol:

Brown snakes are not something I want to have to worry about, actually any viper is Persona non Grata in my universe as I do not like snakes. I will tolerate non viper snakes but only to a degree that they don't come anywhere near me.... :pale: