Canning

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Canning

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:55 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:34 amI felt a little guilty about buying so many, but at least I'm actually going to USE THEM and NOT SELL THEM FOR $15 PER BOX! :roll:
Do not feel guilty in the least. First, they're going to get used for a decent and honest purpose and second, they're not going to be bought by someone who's trying simply to make a quick buck at somebody else's expense. That's two birds with one lucky shot.
Yeah, that's basically the way I looked at it.

That's the trouble with Amazon, Ebay, and even sites like walmart.com seem to host private sellers. And while this could be a good in the way it allows ordinary people to have "virtual store" and make money, it has also created a beast of sorts where people speculate future shortages, clear out retailers shelves and then turn around and sell them online for a substantial markup.

Though it would have thwarted my attempt to purchase a years supply of canning lids last night, a part of me thinks that major retailers should limit the number of items people are allowed to purchase at one time.

I know some retailers put little stickers on some of their inventory requesting that anyone who purchases said inventory from any other merchant other than the original retailer, to report it.

Another option is for Amazon, Ebay, Walmart.com, etc to STEP UP and CAP the markup on certain items. Put it in the terms of service that no item offered for sale may be offered at a higher rate than the suggested retail price from the manufacturer. As Amazon, Ebay, Walmart.com, etc are private entities, I suspect they are within their right to make such requirements among their merchants.

If a merchant has an issue with it, that merchant is within their right to find a different platform to sell their wares, or launch their own, or just peddle them at yard sales and flea markets... good luck with that... :wink:

At any rate, I encourage all canners to be patient, and purchase items at reasonable prices. The only way to put a stop to this is for consumers to say "no more!" and refuse to buy the lids.

Remember, canning is a hobby, not a life requirement. We're not talking toilet paper or gasoline here. Hoarding canning supplies is like hoarding artist paint brushes... we don't have to pay for things we don't really need... I absolutely REFUSE to pay higher than MSRP for canning supplies. I'll till my entire harvest into compost before I do that. I also get a chuckle when I hear on the news that some schmuck [0] got stuck with a basement full of overpriced commodities that he now can't even give away because the supply chain finally adjusted. Serves him right!

[0] We are still allowed to say that right? Sometimes it's hard to keep up with the long list of canceled words folks are no longer permitted to speak...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:44 am I also had a confrontation regarding the skirt I was wearing as I exited the store, but this one I think I handed very well. I'll write more about it later...

I tell ya, obtaining these canning lids has been quite an adventure!
Don't leave us in suspense on the story :wink:
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

This discussion is a good reminder to be looking for lids. I bought a case of regular lids a few years ago and am down to a few dozen new ones. Have you had bad luck with the Chinese ones, Moon, or is it more a matter of principle?

I've had pretty good success with reusing canning lids. If they look ok, they'll probably seal 90% of the time. Just be sure to check the seal; if it seals it's fine. I'll avoid them for things I need to pressure can an hour or more, though.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:28 am Have you had bad luck with the Chinese ones, Moon, or is it more a matter of principle?
Not really. I'm not "anti-China", but on Amazon I just watch the reviews and I see on many of the less expensive lids, people seem to be having issues with them.

It is possible the Chinese lids may be a little thinner and may require not screwing the band on too tight as I see a lot of pictures posted of Chinese lids buckling even in water bath canners.

I do agree that as long as the lid pops in and is difficult to remove then the vacuum seal is good and it should hold.

But anyway, I've ran into this [lid shortages] before this time of year, but usually if one store is out, another one has a good supply. This marks the first time that everywhere I called, and everywhere I stopped was completely sold out with no idea when they will get more. The only recourse was to break down and purchase a box of lids for $8 and up.

But back to the Chinese lids, if there is an affordable lid with REAL positive reviews then I'd gladly hand my money over to the Chinese than to give it to a greedy Amercan trying to profit a 300-500% markup over a single box of lids.

The only thing that goes against my principles is me getting ripped off. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

Moon I was In Ace Hardware the other day and notice that they had canning lids on the shelf you might check in your area. It look like work is going to be slow this year so I will be planting, growing and canning this year, after I fix the garden fence better.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

No canning here. But we give away the apples that we don't use our self. We put an ad on the FB group from our village and the people come to our house to get the apples and other produce , like cherry, plum and bay leaf. We have those trees in our backyard

After baking two apple pies and making some apple sauce, we are fed up with apples, so we give them away.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Rokje wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:04 am After baking two apple pies and making some apple sauce, we are fed up with apples, so we give them away.
Try this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... make-cider
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Rokje wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:04 am After baking two apple pies and making some apple sauce, we are fed up with apples, so we give them away.
......and that is better known as being a good neighbour.
Makes me kind of wish I could migrate to your village, just for the apples alone!
Steve.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Stevie,
I suppose, living deep under the North Scottish permafrost, apples and such like need to be imported. We keep dependent creatures here which like apples, good. bad or indifferent. (donkeys, rabbits, poultry). Windfalls tend to have bird peck bits out of them, but really nice apples which ripen on the tree have been on the decline in recent years. I think it's to do with the shortage of bees and they don't get pollenated in the Spring.

Every year, however our own eating apples well stored last up until about now, Early Spring. MOH knows all the type names, but my favourites are Russets.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !