July 4th !

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

July 4th !

Post by Kirbstone »

To all you Stateside Forum contributors, Have a great day today.

Nothing happens here, of course and our pleasantly warm, not hot Summer continues, for now.
Pottering around the garden I remembered the riot of Blossom just two months ago and sometimes wish that Time could stand still.

MOH got tired of our white 'Country Seat' and ordered it returned to neutral brown...instantly carried out, rather than risk displeasure!
Denim pockets midi-skirt chopped to 24" & re-hemmed for a few quid. Fine for me.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: July 4th !

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Thank you for the holiday greetings from this American.

Your looks are much better than the brown bench, :lol: :lol: I disagree with your other half I think it looks better white.

You do look comfortable in the skirt and shirt. I wear denim only on occasion as I find that the material has not softened in 3 years of wearing and washing, so it stays stiff.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:10 pmTo all you Stateside Forum contributors, Have a great day today.
I had a pretty good one -- I saw the USS Constitution pulled from her berth for her annual turning and got pushed by the tugs to just off Fort Independence for a gun salute. I'll post pictures if any become available. I've been on this rock for 60 circuits around the Sun and this is the first time I've witnessed this annual event.

The day was cold, about 59 degrees F -- a typical April day -- with occasional showers and extremely fickle winds. I think I picked up a sunburn...

What a contrast from the first part of the week where the highs were consistently in the 90s and nights were in the low 70s. Wednesday, I was in a miniskirt and a camisole; Friday I was in a maxi-dress with heavy underlayment including a petticoat.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,

How very interesting. Constitution is older than Nelson's Victory, which is immaculate of course, but in a very dry dock indeed in Portsmouth, equipped only with wooden replica armaments to reduce stresses on the old hull. What's wonderful about Constitution is that she's afloat and has at least one functioning cannon.
I seem to recall when corresponding with you about my aborted last visit to Boston, that I fancied boarding her with a posse of my cut-throat Shantymen and cutting her out for a jaunt around the Bay.

Now that would have been fun :pirat: .....until we were all apprehended, of course. :blue:

Btw. Congrats on your five-dozen

Fred,
That skirt isn't in fact denim at all, but made of something much thinner and lighter that just LOOKS like denim.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:21 pmHow very interesting. Constitution is older than Nelson's Victory, which is immaculate of course, but in a very dry dock indeed in Portsmouth, equipped only with wooden replica armaments to reduce stresses on the old hull. What's wonderful about Constitution is that she's afloat and has at least one functioning cannon.
It turns out that she has two functional saluting guns -- and one of 'em was pointed a bit too close to us for comfort. I know it's but blanks and noise, but still... Seeing fire and smoke several tenths of seconds before hearing the report was wonderful.

I have reason to believe I got at least one splendid shot of Constitution passing in front of the Boston Customs House. I squeezed off 3 or 4 shots with at least one -- which I hope is a keeper -- shot in portrait alignment instead of the more common landscape that most photographers use.
I seem to recall when corresponding with you about my aborted last visit to Boston, that I fancied boarding her with a posse of my cut-throat Shantymen and cutting her out for a jaunt around the Bay.

Now that would have been fun :pirat: .....until we were all apprehended, of course. :blue:
Indeed. Sadly, she no longer sails under her own canvas -- the hull and timbers simply aren't up to it any longer. The Navy did refit her as best they could with the timbers at hand several years ago, and she sailed under a light rig for the first time in a half-century, but the strain-gauges pointed up that she oughtn't do that again, and so hasn't.
Btw. Congrats on your five-dozen
Thanks. This carcass isn't getting any younger.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!