Microgreens and or hydroponics.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Microgreens and or hydroponics.

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Just checking to see if any other cafe members have, are, or possibly have interest in microgreens or hydroponics?
Last year during covid I took a sudden interest hydroponics and gardening. While I have had some past experiences with gardening, Hydroponics I imagined it was for big players.
I was wrong. Last year I did alot of trial and error learning and had some lettuce and arugula to harvest.
This year things are going and growing much better. I have already had a partial lettuce harvest off of my lettuce plants.
I have around 16 lettuce, 6 spinach, 8 Kale plants growing hydroponics. And a bunch of tomato plants growing in soil.
There is no such thing a cheap hydroponics, but hydroponics can be done more cheaply than one might think. My plants are growing in 5 gallon buckets and vinyl downspout sections.
I'd be happy to share more details of my hydroponics. It seems easier than first thought. I can give you alot more information what is working for me.
I got alot of my inspiration from YouTube Mike vanduzee keep on growin' cheap and easy Hydroponics.
For conventional gardening I recommend migardener channel.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Microgreens and or hydroponics.

Post by Kirbstone »

I had an aeronautical science prof. friend who retired to the Isle of Skye in Scotland where he lived out the rest of his life. We had the pleasure of visiting him + wife for his 72nd birthday and one of the things he was very proud of was his range of hydroponic trays under glass for growing his veggies.
As a scientist of some stature he threw himself into the deep end in this endeavour and I shied away from the sheer complexity of it.

It didn't prevent me from sharing a wee dram of Talisker with him in the evenings!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Has it changed since the 70's? Back then I worked for a florists looking after office plants. Everything was hydroponics.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Hello Mishawakaskirt
After retiring as an electrical engineer, I built up a commercial hydrophonic greenhouse business on my property in Tiverton, Rhode Island. You can search for Lydon Family Tomatoes on-line. Some details of the business may still be available. I sold the property in 2015 and moved to New Hampshire. Now totally retired!
We started with tomatoes in a 30x90 greenhouse and grew to a 200x60 gutter connected greenhouse. We grew our offerings to include different varieties of cherry and heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers. I designed the irrigation, humidity, heating and ventilation controls.
Best of luck. Lots of literature out there that inaccurate. I would check with the universities, particularly in Canada, for the best technical information.
Mike