The year without a spring

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

The year without a spring

Post by moonshadow »

Two weeks into May I was watching the weather carefully to determine if I should bring in my tomato plants due to a frost threat. Indeed, there were a few late season frost, and I recall driving home on our anniversary on the 16th wearing a hoodie and wondering if it would ever warm up...?

Fast forward two weeks, it hasn't rained since the beginning of May, the ground is dry as a bone and the yard is "August crunchy", the grass is already dead.

The weatherman says we'll hit record highs over the next couple of days.

2021, the year we went straight from old man winter to the dog days of summer.

Literally, there were a couple days early on we ran the heat in the morning and the air conditioner that afternoon.

A few days ago, I read a story on my local weather app regarding how indeed we have less snow in the region than we did a decade ago, and "the new normal" has been updated thusly.

I just know this is the first time I've planted vegetables in a decade, and I'm having to water the plants regularly. Something I shouldn't have to do until late summer.

What I need to do is make plans to paint the deck... then it will never stop raining... :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Re: The year without a spring

Post by Uncle Al »

I've needed to get a ladder out and get to the roof of my barn/shed.
Need to install a bracket to hold a new weather station. Out of the
past 10 days, it has rained 7 of them. Ground to soft to use a ladder.
Temps are running 65-85*F.

I'll trade you a week of weather so I can get some work done :!: ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Uncle Al, Two pieces of ladder advice from the Emerald sod, where it rains 24/7/365 and the ground is soggy all the time:

1/ Put a transverse board of timber under both the front foot and the back foot of the ladder. Then it won't sink or tilt.

2/ Don't dare go climbing ladders at your age!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Kirbstone wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:03 pm Uncle Al, Two pieces of ladder advice from the Emerald sod, where it rains 24/7/365 and the ground is soggy all the time:

1/ Put a transverse board of timber under both the front foot and the back foot of the ladder. Then it won't sink or tilt.

2/ Don't dare go climbing ladders at your age!

Tom
I second that motion!!!
Ladder climbing at our age is down right dangerous and deadly.
I know it costs money to get someone to climb ladders for you but it is cheaper than a hospital visit or a funeral...

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

UA

Nature is providing a soft landing pad for your installation work -

And make sure that the skirt you are wearing doesn't hamper that ladder work !

Also don't walk under that ladder or let any black cats help you in that work !

PS - take a cell phone with you in case you knock over that ladder and can't get down.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Some eight weeks ago I was up a needlessly rickety alu-ladder attending to some cabling 9 feet off the ground. The ladder wobbled under me and fell away, leaving me like the Disney cartoon character suspended momentarily in mid- air before plummeting to Earth, sorry, concrete. I rolled onto my back, keeping arms & head clear and at first appeared to be just bruised. That night it was all too apparent that I had cracked a rib or two and couldn't lie down at all. Propped up in a semi-recumbent position I discovered for the first time in my memory the value of pain killers (Ibuprofen 600mg) I had been prescribing this X 20 for post-operative patients and didn't know that here they pack it in blocks of 24.

Anyway they worked a treat and I could go about my daily business but couldn't either cough or sneeze at all. First every 4 hours, then 6, 8 then just at night, then not at all after about 10 days. Otto Lilienthal, the late 19th Century glider builder fell to Earth from 60-odd feet in 1896 breaking his neck. Dying in hospital but conscious he said 'Sacrifices must be made' (for aviation). The Wright bros. made liberal use of his wing profile drawings, added power and hey-presto!...Neil Armstrong landed on the Moon within a lifetime (their boy assistant, who met Neil.)

But I digress. A rowing friend, a few years my senior reported to me that his son had confiscated all his ladders, hedge trimmers and chain saw to make sure he wouldn't kill himself that way at least!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Thanks for thinking about my 'trials' but I hadn't planned on getting on the roof.
Just mounting a bracket on the end board, then putting up my weather station
on the extended(20inch) rod. Oh well, that will have to wait. I have no desire
to make an unplanned visit to my doctor. ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

OTOH here in NL the ground water levels are back to where they should after 3 very hot summers. I guess you have to take the wins when they happen.

Apparently from next week we're likely to start breaking the 20C (68F) on a regular basis which will make a nice change.