Dogwood Winter

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Dogwood Winter

Post by moonshadow »

I don't know why I always write this as such a noteworthy event. It seems every year there is some late spring cold snap. We could still have a few more before June finally rolls around and we're safely into "air conditioner" territory.

It's times like these when I do somewhat envy those who have central heat and air conditioning. I watch as friends, family, and neighbors simply switch their thermostats from "heat" to "air" with the flick of a button or switch. For me, it's a little more involved than that. Granted, I can always light the pilot on the gas heater any time of year if I wish, but the decision to finally put the behemoth air conditioner in the window is one that requires a little more planning, mainly because it takes two people and a couple of hours. Not only that, but since the unit is so large, it requires me to remove both the sashes in the kitchen window to accommodate it. A small piece of cut plywood, that I reuse every year is then inserted above the unit, and then it is taped off along the sides with duct tape. It's big, but it gets the job done, and keeps the entire house cool even during the hottest months of August. I do however run a smaller unit in the bedroom as I generally like it nice and cold for sleeping.

However, this set up can make that particular corner of the kitchen drafty in the event old man Winter comes calling for one more round. I usually leave the unit out until the temperatures start to hover consistently into the high 70's for a couple of weeks. During this time, I'll just have the windows open with all the ceiling fans running high.

Today, April 22, 2021 the windows are sealed shut again and the heat is currently running at 11:23 in the morning. The temperatures are supposed to hit the low 50's later, but that won't happen until towards the evening. Currently is is hovering in the high 30's with a steady northern wind gusting. Not pleasant. Tomorrow should show some marginal improvement, but I doubt it will be tee-shirt and short skirt weather until next week, where unfortunately I will be spending the work week near Central Kentucky helping out the office up that way.

Yesterday evening, this was the scene outside:
april_snow1.jpg
april_snow2.jpg
april_snow3.jpg
As I'm off today, tomorrow, and into the weekend, I'm tempted to take a ride and do something, but for the life of me, I just can't find the motivation to venture out in this. Despite the fact the sun is shining, I really have nowhere to go at this time, and frankly, tomorrow looks to be a bit better temperature wise so it seems better to save my money for then. After all, the only thing I'd possible do today is burn fuel in the car, running the same old circuit to Abingdon and back, anywhere we go to stop, we'll be bundled up.

The poor flowering plants just can't catch a break. Every time the bud out, a frost kills them back again...
That dusting hung around until late morning today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Dogwood Winter

Post by crfriend »

Heh. An April snow flurry. We got six inches of widowmaker snow last week, and it hung around for days, completely flattening all the pretty little spring flowers in the process. The last freeze for central Massachusetts from an agricultural point of view is around May 19 -- still close to a month away.

We got a few flurries this morning, much to the displeasure of this writer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

You guys would just love Calgary. There have been years where it snowed at least once, every month. (OK, it didn't stick in the warmer months, but we had white stuff falling) Conversely, it's a very unusual Winter we don't have tee shirt weather for about 2 weeks right in the middle. I've personally seen the temperature go from -15C to +10C in 3 minutes, then back down to -10C about 20 minutes later. I've come into work wearing a warm jacket, with packed snow on the ground, and the ground being mostly dry when I went home.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:39 pmConversely, it's a very unusual Winter we don't have tee shirt weather for about 2 weeks right in the middle.
We used to have that in New England too, but climate-change has done away with that and we haven't had a "mid-January Thaw" in a little more than a decade. March, here, is the new February, and it's not unusual to be outdoors in shirt-sleeves for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's all down to where you live.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Times are changing :!:

Texas weather is strange indeed :!: In the mid to late '70's, we've had 2-3 feet
of snow on Thanksgiving. This went through mid January. Now, we have snow
beginning in late January and wear short-sleeve shirts on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Two weeks ago, I was wearing 'spring to summer' outfits.
Now, it's back to winter clothing :(

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

It just does not pay to mess with Mother Nature!!
:naughty: :naughty: :thumbdown:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Maybe the world is evolving - revolving on a different axis -
When the moon comes over the valley before the mountain you will know something is a foot in those foot hills -

Maybe those virus shots are having a hallucinating effect

And then those USA TV shows - Manifest - Debris -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Enjoy the snow while it lasts.. I haven't seen snow close up since 1993.

Was pretty cold this morning here, we're heading towards our very short subtropical winter, it was about 14°C/57°F...jumper definitely needed for the 3km walk to the office this morning.

For us a standard "winter" day is from around 10°C/50°F up to around 21°C/70°F.

Sure was a shock for us when were in the US in October/November 2016, in the Salt Lake City area and around Lake Tahoe (CA-NV border) where it was around 0°C/32°F in the morning.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I see for most of next week it's going to be in the high 70s, 81 on Tuesday.

The poor flowing trees didn't make it.. I looked outside this morning and they were all brown wilted.

That's too bad. This region can have such lovely springs.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

During the last two weeks of dry weather our Sun content increased and afternoon temps are now in the very high teens Centipede with the low twenties forecast for the weekend. Some swifts & swallows have arrived and yesterday I heard the cuckoo for the first time.

Our double cherry blossoms have started to do their thing and their display never disappoints.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Quite pleasant weather here although the nights are a bit cool. I open the house up in the day so it stays reasonably warm until I go to bed.
Weather_24-04-21.JPG
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Similar daytime temps here too Anthony, except about 13 to 16°C overnight. Time to rug up at night. Brrrrrrrrr!!!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

we're about the same as you Aussies here in NZ.. perhaps a little cooler in the South here.... but similar.
Cheers
NZF
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by nzfreestyler » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:51 am
we're about the same as you Aussies here in NZ.. perhaps a little cooler in the South here.... but similar.
Cheers

Hey NZF, I thought you were just out of Auckland, or perhaps you were just referring to the poor folks down in Dunedin and Invercargill, but if not -- just head a bit more to the north, I've been swimming in Ahipara and Kerikeri in July and I'm no polar bear!