Charlie Chaplin - Words to live by

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Charlie Chaplin - Words to live by

Post by Uncle Al »

Charlie Chaplin and The Kid
Charlie Chaplin and The Kid 2021-04-15.jpg
Charlie Chaplin lived 88 years.

He left us 4 statements:
(1) Nothing is forever in this world, not even our problems.
(2) I love walking in the rain because no one can see my tears.
(3) The most lost day in life is the day we don't laugh.
(4) Six best doctors in the world...:
1. The sun
2. Rest
3. Exercise
4. Diet
5. Self-respect
6. Friends

Stick to them at all stages of your life and enjoy a healthy life…
If you see the moon, you will see the beauty of God…
If you see the sun, you will see the power of God…
If you see a mirror, you will see God's best creation. So believe it.
We are all tourists, God is our travel agent who has already identified our routes,
bookings and destinations... trust him and enjoy life.
Life is just a journey!
Therefore, live today!
Tomorrow may not be.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Charlie Chaplin - Words to live by

Post by Ray »

Great sentiments - but in my opinion there is no God, so I just see the beauty of the things you describe without ascribing them to a theoretical deity.

Still, good words of wisdom.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I hope to meet Mr. Chaplin when I enter heaven.
He was one of the great ones.. :thumleft:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just across the Bay from my Kerry bolthole the people of Waterville commissioned a bronze of the Great Man which now stands on the foreshore there.

In his later years he spent some time holidaying there and was a keen salmon fisherman. There is an annual Chaplin film festival there each Summer.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Great man!

I'm actually a fan of both actors in that first picture.
The second one "The kid" is none other than Jackie Coogan.
His bigger claim to fame was when he played "Uncle Fester" in the original Addams Family TV series.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

kingfish wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:29 pm Great man!

I'm actually a fan of both actors in that first picture.
The second one "The kid" is none other than Jackie Coogan.
His bigger claim to fame was when he played "Uncle Fester" in the original Addams Family TV series.
That series is still on the TV. It is on the Family Entertainment Television channel. if you have Direct-TV it is channel 323. I record it so I can binge watch it in the evenings.

Jackie Coogan Uncle Fester Morticia's exuberant uncle who is completely bald and dressed in a floor-length fur-collared coat. Fester is quite fond of dynamite and blasting caps. He often relaxes on a bed of nails, by inserting his head into a book press or by being stretched on a wooden torture rack. He powers light bulbs by placing them into his mouth (the toy or "magic" light bulb used for this trick is still available today).
397px-Jackie_Coogan_as_Uncle_Fester_(The_Addams_Family,_1966).jpg
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:45 pmThe Addams Family is still on the TV. It is on the Family Entertainment Television channel. if you have Direct-TV it is channel 323. I record it so I can binge watch it in the evenings.
That was one of my favourites growing up. That show ran more or less contemporaneously with The Munsters which was OK, but not in the same league. It's like trying to compare Monty Python to Benny Hill.

A lot of the memes are still in fairly wide use. A week or so ago one of the wags I hang out with at my local was expressing happiness he found a home for a piano that belonged to a relative who needed it to vanish. I mentioned that had it been a harpsichord I'd have taken it in a heartbeat which brought a crack of "Yeah, you and Lurch" from one of the other wags. Guess my response. (Actually, I have always had a very soft spot in my heart for the sound of harpsichords and if I could find one that (a) I could house and (b) afford, might well jump on one. Synthesizers just don't "do it" for me.) (There's a reason why I hang out where I hang out.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

The Addams family was far better than The Munsters, what I liked about the Addam's they were normal people that chose to be different, we need more of that in a world where everybody is becoming more and more the same.

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

john, I may quibble over your definition of "normal" but I think I know what you mean. The Addams Family was much superior to The Munsters. Even the signature tune was memorable, off the top of my head I can't remember what the theme to The Munsters was, or even who the members of the Munsters family were. But I remember who the Addams family were.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Among other faves from that time period was Hogan's Heroes. I still can enjoy it as they are on the same channel as the Addam's Family. How many of you remember them.. With the "komandant" yelling "SCHULTZ".... :lol:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Col. Klink(Werner Klemperer)
Image Image
From IMDB.com -
Werner Klemperer, everyone's favorite TV German Air Force colonel, was best known for his
role as the bumbling Col. Wilhelm Klink on the comedy series Hogan's Heroes (1965). Although
he'll forever be known as the blustering but inept German commandant of Stalag 13, Klemperer
was in fact a talented dramatic actor, as evidenced by his acclaimed performance as an arrogant,
unrepentant Nazi judge being tried for crimes against humanity in Judgment at Nuremberg (1961).
His identification with Nazi roles notwithstanding, Klemperer was in real life the son of a Jew
who fled with his family from Nazi Germany in the 1930s. He served in the U.S. Army during
World War II. When he was offered the Col. Klink role, Klemperer only agreed to do it if the
show's producers promised that Klink would never succeed in any of his schemes. "Col. Klink"
earned Klemperer five Emmy nominations, and he took home the trophy twice, in 1968 and 1969.
After the series, Klemperer carved out an impressive musical career as a conductor and also served
as a narrator with many major U.S. symphony orchestras. He was an accomplished concert violinist.

Conducted the Buffalo (NY) Orchestra.
Son of conductor Otto Klemperer.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

That whole show was filled with great actors and actresses. Some playing bit parts and others as stars of the show. One of my favorites was Sgt Schultz.
sgt schultz 1.jpg
John Banner (born Johann Banner, 28 January 1910 – 28 January 1973) was an Austrian-born American actor, best known for his role as Sergeant Schultz in the situation comedy Hogan's Heroes (1965–1971). Schultz, constantly encountering evidence that the inmates of his stalag were planning mayhem, frequently feigned ignorance with the catchphrase, "I see nothing! I hear nothing! I know nothing!" (or, more commonly as the series went on, "I know nothing, nothing!").

Banner was born to Jewish parents in Stanislau, Austria-Hungary (now Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine). He studied for a law degree at the University of Vienna, but decided instead to become an actor. In 1938, when he was performing with an acting troupe in Switzerland, Adolf Hitler annexed Austria to Nazi Germany. Banner emigrated to the United States, where he rapidly learned English.

In 1942, Banner enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces, underwent basic training in Atlantic City and became a supply sergeant. He even posed for a recruiting poster (before he became portly). He served until 1945.

According to fellow Hogan's Heroes actor Robert Clary, "John lost a lot of his family" to the Holocaust.

The comedy series Hogan's Heroes, in which Banner played Sergeant Hans Schultz, the role for which he is most often remembered, debuted on the CBS Television Network in 1965. According to Banner, before he met and married his French wife Christine, he weighed 178 pounds (81 kg); he claimed her good cooking was responsible for his weight gain to 260 pounds (120 kg), which helped him land the part.[citation needed] The character of Schultz is a bumbling, but ultimately lovable German guard at a World War II prisoner-of-war camp. The camp is used by the prisoners as a secret staging area for sabotage and intelligence-gathering. Schultz is forever becoming indebted to the prisoners, which they use to the Allies' advantage for their continuing espionage work. His main goal is to avoid any trouble with his superiors, which often leads him to ignore the clandestine activities of the prisoners. (On those occasions, he often used his catchphrase "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!" As the series went on, this became simply "I know nothing. Nothing"!). The genesis of the line could be from Banner’s appearance on the TV crime drama “The Untouchables”, in the episode “The Takeover” (1961), when confronted by a gangster he nervously responds with his future classic line. Another signature phrase used was "Jolly joker"!, when one of the POWs would make a joke at his expense.

Banner was loved not only by the viewers, but also by the cast, as recalled by cast members during the Hogan's Heroes DVD commentary. The Jewish Banner defended his character, telling TV Guide in 1967, "Schultz is not a Nazi. I see Schultz as the representative of some kind of goodness in any generation". Banner appeared in almost every episode of the series, which ran for six years.

In 1968, during the series run, Banner co-starred with fellow Hogan's Heroes actors Werner Klemperer, Leon Askin, and Bob Crane in the Cold War comedy The Wicked Dreams of Paula Schultz, starring Elke Sommer in the title role.

After Hogan's Heroes was cancelled in 1971, Banner starred as the inept gangster Uncle Latzi in a short-lived television situation comedy, The Chicago Teddy Bears. His last acting appearance was in the March 17, 1972, episode of The Partridge Family. He then retired to France with his Paris-born second wife.