Telling The Bees

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Telling The Bees

Post by Uncle Al »

I found this interesting :!:
The Bee Friend by Hans Thoma 2021-04-11.jpg
Art: The Bee Friend, a painting by Hans Thoma (1839–1924)

There was a time when almost every rural British family who kept bees followed
a strange tradition. Whenever there was a death in the family, someone had to go
out to the hives and tell the bees of the terrible loss that had befallen the family.
Failing to do so often resulted in further losses such as the bees leaving the hive,
or not producing enough honey or even dying.
Traditionally, the bees were kept abreast of not only deaths but all important family
matters including births, marriages, and long absence due to journeys. If the bees
were not told, all sorts of calamities were thought to happen.
This peculiar custom is known as “telling the bees”.
The practice of telling the bees may have its origins in Celtic mythology that held
that bees were the link between our world and the spirit world. So if you had any
message that you wished to pass to someone who was dead, all you had to do was
tell the bees and they would pass along the message.
The typical way to tell the bees was for the head of the household, or “goodwife
of the house” to go out to the hives, knock gently to get the attention of the bees,
and then softly murmur in a doleful tune the solemn news.
Little rhymes developed over the centuries specific to a particular region.
In Nottinghamshire, the wife of the dead was heard singing quietly in front of the hive,
“The master's dead, but don't you go; Your mistress will be a good mistress to you.”
In Germany, a similar couplet was heard,
“Little bee, our lord is dead; Leave me not in my distress”.
But the relationship between bees and humans goes beyond superstition. It’s a fact,
that bees help humans survive. 70 of the top 100 crop species that feed 90% of the
human population rely on bees for pollination.
Without them, these plants would cease to exist and with it all animals that eat
those plants. This can have a cascading effect that would ripple catastrophically
up the food chain.
Losing a beehive is much worse than losing a supply of honey. The consequences are
life threatening. The act of telling the bees emphasizes this deep connection humans
share with the insect.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Telling The Bees

Post by Faldaguy »

An interesting bit of lore; and a telling calamity of what is presently happening. Bee loss is a deadly serious matter over much of the globe currently. We need to pay more attention to this matter.