Think about it!!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Think about it!!

Post by rode_kater »

kingfish wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:43 pm Its development happened during a competition between (I'm pretty sure there were 5) different drug companies, and not all of them succeeded.
There are still more than 60 vaccines in development on top of the 13 already approved somewhere. The original field was like 160 vaccines so already nearly 100 didn't make it.

The one I remember one was the Australian attempt that was abandoned because it had as a side-effect false-positive responses to HIV tests. Oops! That's why we have testing protocols.

When I'm offered a vaccine I'll take it, the chances of side-effects are less than winning the lottery.

The biggest risk right now is the US vaccine component export ban that can stop production elsewhere in the world.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kingfish wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:04 pmHe basically noticed that countries that had just done a big Measles inoculation program didn't have a big Covid outbreak.
It'll be interesting to see if that's independently corroborated by proper studies.

In general, a "wide awake" immune system is a pretty robust thing, and one thing I worry about is that after a year of being in quarantine/lockdown many folks' ones will have suffered from "lack of challenge". Too, the hyper-sanitistion of things could well be making things worse from a general perspective as no "disinfectant" is 100% and continued use merely selects "survivors" that are immune to it. Humans have a habit of creating "super bugs"; we really ought to knock that off.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:42 pm There are still more than 60 vaccines in development on top of the 13 already approved somewhere. The original field was like 160 vaccines so already nearly 100 didn't make it.
I gotta admit I wasn't even thinking about the the other 53 scattered across the globe. I was just referring to the US government shelling out 9.4 billion, spread across 7 companies to develop and pre-purchase several million of doses each of their vaccines.
crfriend wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:16 am
kingfish wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:04 pmHe basically noticed that countries that had just done a big Measles inoculation program didn't have a big Covid outbreak.
It'll be interesting to see if that's independently corroborated by proper studies.
I first heard about it when my friend Mark Gold mentioned that his brother got published in a medical journal. His brother isn't a medic. Since then, there's been about a four or five more articles on the subject.
And I seriously doubt anything significant will come from it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kingfish wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:37 am I gotta admit I wasn't even thinking about the the other 53 scattered across the globe. I was just referring to the US government shelling out 9.4 billion, spread across 7 companies to develop and pre-purchase several million of doses each of their vaccines.
That's a lot of scratch for a government that is opposed to funding any kind of healthcare.

There is a vast sea of hypocrisy across these fifty states... a vaaaaaast sea.... I try not to even care anymore, I just call it when I see it, and mosey about my merry way.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 am
That's a lot of scratch for a government that is opposed to funding any kind of healthcare.

There is a vast sea of hypocrisy across these fifty states... a vaaaaaast sea.... I try not to even care anymore, I just call it when I see it, and mosey about my merry way.
Agreed on both counts.

Considering the damage the pandemic was doing to populations around the globe, you could arguably call the vaccine development vital infrastructure with respect to our national security. This virus was a genuine threat to a good 20% of our population, and we certainly weren't willing or capable of putting eveyone effectively under house arrest for a couple weeks like China did.

As for the hypocrisy, it's probably as old as the country. It was a lot more subtle 30 or 40 years ago, but then again maybe I was just too young to really see it for what it was at that time.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kingfish wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm Considering the damage the pandemic was doing to populations around the globe, you could arguably call the vaccine development vital infrastructure with respect to our national security
Yeah, I'm not saying I oppose the tax payer funding of these vaccines, I'm just saying that "this is not the capitalist way".

They're supposed to fund their own research and development through private means (investors, etc), then once the good vaccines are determined and the bad ones weeded put, the pharmaceutical companies that developed the good ones should charge whatever the market will bear, the other companies just eat the loss, go bankrupt, whatever.

And this means that only those with good insurance can actually get a vaccine, because the cash price would likely be in the thousands...

.. you know, just like everything else we do here. :roll:

So it's nice to know the U.S. "cares" about getting a jab in the arm of everyone on our soil free of charge... so that we we can hurry up and get back to the business of dying of all those good old fashioned ailments that we don't really care about.
kingfish wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm As for the hypocrisy, it's probably as old as the country. It was a lot more subtle 30 or 40 years ago, but then again maybe I was just too young to really see it for what it was at that time.
Yeah really.. can you imagine getting the New Deal, or the Social Security Act passed in the current political climate?!? :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, the problem with your capitalist approach ( the pharma funding the entire cost ) is that at the end of development and testing you have a medicine/vaccine that is so expensive initially that few can afford them. Even our NHS cannot afford some cancer treatments that cost thousands per month.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:58 pm Moon, the problem with your capitalist approach ( the pharma funding the entire cost ) is that at the end of development and testing you have a medicine/vaccine that is so expensive initially that few can afford them. Even our NHS cannot afford some cancer treatments that cost thousands per month.
Yes I know. I was being sarcastic.

It's my approach to dealing with the constant ridiculous political conversations everyone throws at me. You should see the looks on people's faces when I say "I think we should abolish Social Security". :lol: And when their jaw drops, I follow with "hell yeah man, just let it all burn down! Survival of the fittest!" :twisted:

Actually, I guess the deal with the vaccines in the U.S. really isn't either "ism", it's more if a "Frankinism"... perhaps that's why U.A. and Fred don't want one? :?

Oh well. It is what it is. I just like pointing out the fact that basically everyone is a hypocrite... [0]

... I'm a lot of fun at parties! 8) :lol:

Nah, actually I don't go to parties. (I never get invited *shrugs*)

But the evidence seems to indicate that every single individual American wants the government to work for themselves.. and that individual alone... nobody else, just number one. [0]

And for God's sake don't say anything that could be deemed offensive, and since that's basically everything, then it seems we're best served to keep as quiet as possible...

...but so far we can still laugh at the situation, so have at it.

"Sometimes, you just have to bow to the absurd!"

-Captain Picard

[0] SkirtCafe members exempted, of course! :P :wink:
-Andrea
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:18 pm "Sometimes, you just have to bow to the absurd!"

-Captain Picard

[0] SkirtCafe members exempted, of course!
Not assimilated Moon?
Steve
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

And then the universe dishes out multiple ironies...

Caitlin Jenner a Republican trangender women running for Governor of California.

...wait, what??

BOOT ERROR
BOOT ERROR
BOOT ERROR
BOOT ERROR
BOOT ERROR

:rofl:

Pass the popcorn... I don't think this movie is ever going to hit its climax! :lol:

She says "she's socially liberal and fiscally conservative"... mmm, go on... :wink:

Actually all jokes aside, I feel pretty good about this. I'd like to see things go back to the way they were decades ago with progressives and conservatives mixed in with both parties. It required people to actually THINK and know who they were voting for!

I wonder if she were to run for president in '24... would dad vote for her? What a fascinating hypothetical!
-Andrea