Think about it!!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Think about it!!

Post by Fred in Skirts »

unnamed.jpg
:x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Think about it!!

Post by crfriend »

Two bullet-points into that I drew the conclusion of alt-right noise (this took perhaps a 10th of a second or so) simply because it flies in the face of reality when examined closely. Yes, most of the statements are true -- taken individually and out of context. Taken in context with the dynamics faced in the wild the fallacious nature of the treatise should be obvious.

If you don't want to get vaccinated, then don't. However, please stay home and safely isolated from the rest of humanity until the rest of us hopefully have this damned thing licked -- or at least mostly extirpated in the wild.

We are all in this together. In short, Do not be part of the problem!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

What Carl said. Act (or think about acting) for the greater good, not for personal benefit.

Ray
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well how absurd can it gat?

You know what else doesn't make any sense?

This song.

I mean, what is it really supposed to be about anyway? Just a lifetime supply of lousy luck? It has no point, no direction, just one lyric after another of drawing the short straw...

And is this really the correct use of the word "ironic"? I don't know, it doesn't feel right. Then again, "ironic" is a word I have trouble understanding, thus I don't use it much...

Perhaps that's ironic... :?:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fred, UA, as Carl said, if you don't want to get immunised then don't. Most of us do. Can we get the message across so we won't post our pro-vaccine stuff if you don't post your anti-vaccine propaganda. OK? Just stay away from the rest of the human race. If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

A lot of those points are “true” only because we don’t have hard scientific data on the vaccine yet. Once enough studies have been done a lot of those will have been proven to be false.

Also - since the vaccines are highly effective but not 100% (is anything in life guaranteed 100%?) - no one is going to say the vaccines prevent covid for fear of being sued.

Finally, although covid is not as deadly as other sars-like viruses, this effort to vaccinate is similar to the polio vaccine effort. The main difference is - well - if covid mutates enough - it could become deadlier or have worse consequences than it currently does. The thing is we *lucked out* it is isn’t any more deadly. Sars-like viruses usually have devastating effects and high death rates. “Thankfully” covid only kills a small percentage of people it infects, but given the right mutation, it could be more deadly. And given enough sick people, the hospitals get overrun.

The main reason I dislike these sorts of memes is because they warp truth and don’t put each statement in context.

And one other thing. We know a family who doesn’t believe in the threat of covid, they still don’t. They have a 1-year old on OXYGEN in the hospital because of covid right now. They still think it’s “meh”. All I can do is sigh and shake my head.

The local university hospital is shutting down elective procedures to make room for more ICU beds because of increasing case counts, one smaller hospital
ICU is almost full. They are even sending people home with oxygen to make room for more serious cases. Shutting down elective procedures costs them MILLIONS, more than they make from treating covid patients. So much so they actually laid people off last year. They have every motivation in the world to stop this thing and they are pushing the vaccine. If they thought it was bunk, please trust me, they would not be advocating the vaccine. It was developed under the previous administration, and they hated that admin. For them to accept the Trump vaccine, well that’s pretty much a miracle on it’s own.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Which government said this?  None of the current ones, I'll bet.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

pelmut wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:55 pm Which government said this?  None of the current ones, I'll bet.
I’m sure these are all misreading of statements from government or scientific sources. I’m serious - usually what is done is the author of these memes ignores the entirety of a passage and takes the first sentence (or even ignores the part after a comma). These wouldn’t be literal quotes, obviously.

I have to debunk about one or two crazy claims a week my cousin sends my parents, and inevitably the author takes advantage of the fuzzy language scientists and governments use to describe what we know (to the best of our knowledge). I’m actually getting tired/annoyed by it to be honest.

The thing is, everything is a probability, so nothing can ever be definite. So a 95% effective rate becomes “you can get covid after a vaccine”. Well, duh. But it’s still protective.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:20 pm The thing is we *lucked out* it is isn’t any more deadly. Sars-like viruses usually have devastating effects and high death rates.
Indeed, the real luck is that it mostly kills old people. If it had been like the Spanish flu and killed mostly 20 to 40 year olds I believe we would be in a much worse situation.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My first real day at work as our store re-opened and I was talking to a customer who lost both parents in 4 weeks due to Covid. It's the first time I have come across anyone who has lost someone in such a way. She said the hardest things were not being able to visit them and he funerals, so close together were trials. Is the virus deadly? Yes, it is and we should all be grateful for each day, especially as most of us are in the extremely vulnerable categories if only because of age. It only takes a few seconds to get infected ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I hope no one took my “we really lucked out” comment the wrong way. MERS, SARS, etc... are horrific and have HIGH fatality rates. We’ve been been very fortunate neither of those have broken out into the greater population. They’d make the 1918 flu look like a cake walk.

And I’m certainly not dismissing people who’ve died from COVID, and frankly, we pay too little attention to flu deaths. This could have - and it could become - even far worse.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 pm I hope no one took my “we really lucked out” comment the wrong way. MERS, SARS, etc... are horrific and have HIGH fatality rates. We’ve been been very fortunate neither of those have broken out into the greater population. They’d make the 1918 flu look like a cake walk.
I certainly didn't take it the wrong way, and realise precisely how lucky we are as a species that this wasn't more aggressive and virulent than it is. If it was, it could have led to extinction of the species except for the tiny handful that no longer interact with the "unwashed masses" (and the ultimate demise of those would constitute a comedy).

I also agree that we pay too little heed to influenza deaths and tend to pooh-pooh the matter. Perhaps the technology being deployed for SAR-CoV-2 will be of use for that scourge as well as others.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

I know a cop in my home town that won't get vaccinated.
I do think he's misunderstanding the risks.
(I didn't throw traffic stop risk comparison question at him)

Here are the facts that induced me to get into the vax line (Moderna shot #2 scheduled for a week from thursday, btw):

It reduces my chances of getting it.

If It didn't prevent it, it reduces the chances of it killing me (My asthma is outta control at the moment. Serious co-morbidity)

The chances of it actually killing me or screwing me up are smaller than my winning the megabucks jackpot.

Its development happened during a competition between (I'm pretty sure there were 5) different drug companies, and not all of them succeeded.

And the press and the drug companies know that it's a billion dollar story if it ever got leaked that they faked any of the safety data, did any thing sneaky, or that it turned out to be unsafe after the fact. (re: 4 women die out of 7 million doses delivered making national headlines and stopping the distribution in its tracks) Everybody is watching what's going on. There isn't enough maneuvering room for reckless or sinister behavior.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I'll take my chances as I'm getting my first shot today.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Something I didn't think about 'till just now....
If you don't want the covid shot...How 'bout an MMR booster shot?

From a brother of a good friend of mine...
https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/6/e02628-20

He basically noticed that countries that had just done a big Measles inoculation program didn't have a big Covid outbreak.