Test Positive for COVID-19

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Test Positive for COVID-19

Post by Elisabetta »

Now they're putting a hold on the Johnson and Johnson Vaccinations as they're causing blood clots so makes sense for some people not wanting to get the shot.
Last edited by Elisabetta on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:15 am ...Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, and West Virginia frequently. I've been to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Ohio, Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama, and Indiana, and I'm ashamed to say I've not even seen a third of what this massive nation has to offer.
If you ever do manage to travel abroad, the U.K. has got to be your first place to visit.  You can see the mountains of Wales, the hilly farmlands of Somerset and the flat plains of East Anglia all within a 300 mile journey.  The derelict industries of the North are about 200 miles from the prosperous South.  The rugged coastline of Cornwall is only 100 miles from the shallow sandy beaches of the South Coast  ...but those are English miles which seem to go on for ever, twisting and turning on narrow roads where you have to pull in to let an approaching car squeeze by.  You will be amazed at how tiny and compact everything is, at how everyone has adapted to this lifestyle and how we all manage to drive on the left side of the road.

The language is different here too: people will glance at you oddly if you say something like "Y'all", but they will be polite and not comment, conveying approval or disapproval by a slight change of facial expression.  You will discover that we measure things in different units and find a temperature of "20 degrees" pleasantly warm.  The weather is a constant topic of conversation because it is so unpredictable.  Familiar everyday things will be missing and unfamiliar ones will suddenly bring you up with a jolt.

We are basically the same -- but different in so many ways.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

...or add to your trip and experience Scotland. Vast tracts of mountainous wilderness, beaches with green sea and a mountainous backdrop. Amazing golf courses. Little in the way of traffic, and easily accessible from England. It’s the opposite of England in that the country is anything but tiny and compact.

Then you have France, with its wines, cheese, cuisine and beautiful countryside (especially the Dordogne), Italy (which has everything!) and so on. Europe is a mind blowing area to experience.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:52 pm I can see "over the air" broadcast being held to a "G" or at least PG-13 standard, as just about anyone could tune in, this goes for radio too.
Reminds me of a little incident on TV here a while back. The most popular talk show was doing a segment on Chatroulette, which is an app where you get connected to random people who you can (video) chat with. This kid was demonstrating how you can keep swiping until you find someone interesting. They were discussing the risks and one is that you get people who are just showing off their genitalia. The phone's screen was connected straight to the broadcast.

And lo and behold a dickpic appears, fullscreen on prime time television. Oops! The kid quickly swiped and went bright red.

Good for a laugh. I'm so glad I live in a country where this is no big deal. I consider violence on TV to be a bigger problem than people in their birthday suits.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pmI'm so glad I live in a country where this is no big deal. I consider violence on TV to be a bigger problem than people in their birthday suits.
I wish I did. A human in the nude is a perfectly natural thing; a human shooting another, or beating the stuffing out of another, is not.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Just to recap... we now have two anti-vax threads active at the same time, and still nobody had answered my inquiry about the word "ironic".... :eye:

:cheese:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:49 pmJust to recap... we now have two anti-vax threads active at the same time, and still nobody had answered my inquiry about the word "ironic".... :eye: :cheese:
I'll admit to being a bit of an anti-VAXxer, but for reasons other than this current thread and down to the fact that a broad-tailed Bronx Shirley of a PDP-11 killed off one of my favourite architectures. That was an act tantamount to murder, although the architecture was very long in the tooth and what had been done with it was a criminal act in and of itself, and helped start the long slide of the world's number 2 computer company in the early 1980s (the press release became known as DEC's "suicide note"). So, no, I am not a fan of VAXes. (I spent a good hour winding up one of my good friends in the computer-history field about this several months ago, and when I delivered the punch-line got rewarded with the expected, "You son-of-a-b!tch!" which made me feel good.

On vaccinations, I strongly support the notion, knowing full well that it's a numbers game through and through. I also know that viruses and pathogens can adapt and multiply faster than humans; the trick is to attenuate the amount of pathogen in the wild to the point where it eventually goes extinct -- and the way to do that is via immunity, or at least resistance. If an individual does not want to bolster a resistance to something in the wild, that's fine, and there is a way for that individual to keep from acquiring it (and passing it along) -- it's called absolute isolation from general society, and is quite contrary to what we are as a species. For those who wish to remain engaged with -- or to engage with again -- society (for we are social animals), please get the shot(s). The risk is low (lower that catching the real disease unless one is playing well outside the current rules and guidelines), and if you're worried about being micro-chipped, find a buddy who has an RFID scanner (they're pretty easy to build) and do a before and after scan. Hint: you're going to come up negative, but if you come up positive check your pockets.

On irony, I am drawn to the classic joke about the recent Titanic movie: "God himself cannot sink this script!", the rejoinder was succinct, "He can and will, for she is made of irony."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I read that both Pelmut and Ray are lobbying for Great Britain and of course Europe as must-see first places to visit for those venturing abroad out of the US.
Perfectly right in my opinion. Europe is small, compact, very cultured and stuffed with historical and architectural gems to blow the average American mind. Gastronomic experiences tend to major on quality, not quantity, which is as it should be.

Packing one's suitcase for Europe, suncream and rainwear must both be included and for non-linguists Europe holds no terrors...most people who meet tourists speak embarrassingly good English.

Getting around independently means usually car hire. One can specify an automatic shift, but on These Islands (GB/IRL) we drive on the LEFT, which many Americans have great difficulty with, but after the first 6 months you'll get good at it !! Another thing...The Police are polite and friendly.
Standing on the kerb about to cross the road.....Look RIGHT. That's where the traffic's coming from!

And for those who like that sort of thing, our golf courses are sequential.....Where one ends, the next one starts!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:58 am Getting around independently means usually car hire. One can specify an automatic shift, but on These Islands (GB/IRL) we drive on the LEFT, which many Americans have great difficulty with, but after the first 6 months you'll get good at it !!
Not only must we adjust to driving on the left, but we must also adjust to having the shifter in the left hand...

I'd imagine that once I was on a road and driving I'd be okay, but I'd be tempted to turn into the wrong lane, or try to enter a limited access highway on an exit ramp...

God I'm just sitting here picturing driving on the left... it's making my head hurt.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too right, Moon.

Having grown up with right hand drive and positioning my car on the left with allowance for most of the car's width being to the left of me, at the then tender age of just 25 I hired a Ford Galaxy 400 Sedan in Montreal, packed two of my rowing buddies in across the front on the wide bench seat, stuck her in Drive and headed West along the Trans Canada Highway. I had to be the hirer as both my friends didn't bring their driving licences with them, but we shared the driving as the distances were so vast and the speed limits so low and enforced.

Driving on the right held no terror as the previous year one of those friends and I had driven to Istanbul/Ankara and back across Europe thousands of miles, admittedly in my right-hand-drive English Triumph car.

The Ford Sedan was by European standards a vast floating sponge, with little 'feel' of the road and tyres that squealed without any provocation in towns. We spent a month getting W. to Vancouver, S. to San Fran and obliquely NE through most of the interesting bits, ending up in Buffalo, where we handed it in, some 7000 miles older, but not bruised.
We jumped on the night train, arriving one Sunday morning at Grand Central in the Big Apple. There we met our first impolite US Cop. Right outside the station, with a noisy chopper making a landing 830 feet above on the roof of the PANAM building, my friend asked a corner cop the directions to 'Central Y'(MCA). The cop just turned and sneered...'Aint yuh gotta map?'.....Different from the English bobbies, I can tell you.

Tom
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Kirbstone » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:15 pm

Too right, Moon.

Having grown up with right hand drive and positioning my car on the left with allowance for most of the car's width being to the left of me, at the then tender age of just 25 I hired a Ford Galaxy 400 Sedan in Montreal,....

in the Big Apple. There we met our first impolite US Cop. The cop just turned and sneered...'Aint yuh gotta map?'.....Different from the English bobbies, I can tell you.
I think most of us panic a bit upon our first entry into "wrong side" driving! My first intro was landing at SYD, picking up a rental and heading via road to Adalaide -- a lovely trip, but it was weeks before things really started to feel natural. Tom's tip about looking Right is right -- but in Sydney and quite a few more, you dang well better look all over, and dash -- I think pedestrians are approved targets, along with Roos in back of the beyond, or even closer in. Life's adventures.

As to Bobbies -- the Canadian Royal Mounted Police and the US boys were already markedly different in Kirbstone's time there; and, no surprise about the Big Apple. Sadly the extremes have grown exponentially worse since then.

But, when we start talking about world views and cultural dichotomies I concur the EU and region can throw a lot into a small space, but your English language countries still tend to maintain a lot of similarities. I wonder what true world travelers might recommend? :?:

I recall a lot of awakenings in more modest journeys about two or three countries in a region. Try driving South Africa, into Botswana and then to Zimbabwe and back! (I'm still trying to absorb that years later.) No doubt Montreal, and more so Quebec City and east will jar you some; or head truly north into the Arctic for 'another' world-- if nothing else enters, the Northern Lights will be with you forever.

In my neck of the woods, our neighbors to the north, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua will shock your senses. Or drop down to S.A. where we got quite an awakening starting in Lima, just into the highlands over to Bolivia. Mere Buenos Aires city districts to Uruguay can shake your rock with it's strong European influence.

Or a more 'fun' trip might be Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, & finish in Kuala Lumpur, or drop down to Singapore.

Denimini's land is vast and sort of "English" to the American ear, try maybe a "straight line" trip from the Mona near Hobart on Tasmania to Melbourne and north, maybe Coober Pedy and on to Katherine or Darwin -- maybe a big hop north to Manila on your way home. ["Across the Pond" as they might say there -- to Kiwiland is a surprise; quite the rivalry between them -- but don't dare expose your Brit or Yank bent or they will be like a bulldozer together to send you packing!

And for those from other lands (that includes the West Coast of the USA!) I'd endorse a circle tour around your (Appalachian) neck of the woods -- say a 500 mile radius and my God what you'd see!

'tis a big beautiful world, and I'd love to see a whole bunch more of it -- sadly I fear my feet and pocketbook will run out long before the bucket list of treasures does -- so get in what you can while you can. :kiltdance:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:40 am ...God I'm just sitting here picturing driving on the left... it's making my head hurt.
Imagine driving around this.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi FG.,
It looks as though my few early travel adventures pale into insignificance compared to your Globe-trotting. Re: your comments about Sydney pedestrians, I expect they are divided, like the old Nicene Creed into (He shall come to judge) the Quick and the Dead. :!:

Re: the RCMP, driving on Trans-Canada between Hamilton & Windsor we noticed airplanes painted onto the road surface at intervals. We should have smelt a rat! We were overtaken by the very first twin-headlamp motorbike I had ever seen....a mounted Cop, who flagged us down and took ages to get his helmet & gloves off, unbutton his jacket & extract his notebook, then amble back to my driver's window. Grabbing it (the window was down), he stuck his head in looking at all three of us sitting up front and said: 'Y'gotta go an' see the Judge, fellahs'. We said we were Irish over here for a month and were curious about the painted airplanes. He said that on that stretch aerial surveillance used them to clock our average speed.....78mph in a 60 zone.
He also said he was of Irish descent and wouldn't charge us, but warned us to be careful &c. He also admitted that the airplanes were new and experimental and waved us on.....Pheww!! That was August 1967

Tom
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

When you see painted airplane outlines on the pavement or bold lines spaced at regular intervals -
look up into the sky and look for airplanes or helicopters doing lazy eights in loops over the roadway -
dem guys are crop dusting of another kind raising revenue for the state or local enforcement.

An expensive way of traffic enforcement -

The authorities have other tools - radar is so passe with the laser guns (faster than a speeding beam of light)
On toll roads if you enter and exit too early - why of course you must be speeding between these points - think speed surcharge
Then there are the unmarked vehicles making observations i.e. semi-trucks buses not the usual marked fanfare
And then those robo photo cameras - sending you a citation by mail

One needs to be around a few years and attend those senior 55 insurance driving classes to realize
that that 10 mph over the limit is not a significant savings at all to your time and wallet -
Oh to be young again and flirt with the law and the speed traps think ole time CB radio breaker breaker bear at mile post 101
doing a kodak moment

While with this covid virus thing - can't cross the border to Canada to see and visit some of my favorite places -
gotta watch those metric to miles conversions factors 100 mph is not 60 kilometers (it is the reverse) and the
Canadian authorities do not take a liking to radar laser detectors.

Now what is this deal about skirted driving that everyone here is afflicted with ? LOL ! Have a great day
Beware of those bears on the roadway
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I love the fact that this thread has veered off-track, as it were.

I’ve driven in the US - most notably a drive from Las Vegas, Nevada, through Death Valley, over the Sierra Nevada range, to Yosemite valley. Stunning scenery and empty roads. Slightly frustrating then to have to drive no faster than 80mph (10 over the limit). On similar roads in Scotland, I’d be doing around 90 at times (not where deer are prevalent though).

Australia was the worst for speed limits. Draconian punishment for speeding, and a lot of country to drive through to get anywhere.

South Africa is my favourite country to drive in. Half empty roads, decent speed limits (120kph) which most people ignore; I sit around 145kph (90mph) without a care in the world. The roads are straight, quiet, with few junctions. Mind you, I got done for speeding twice on the same trip last time. About US$50 for both. Reduced limit areas.

Germany? Well, the derestricted autobahnen allow you to drive as fast as you want, but that doesn’t affect me. About 95mph (155kph) is a reasonable gait for a decent car. No need for me to go faster.

Lest you think I’m a hooligan, I’m pretty compliant, especially in built up areas. Motorways? About 10mph over the limit. But when it’s just you and the road? Speed limits can sometimes feel a little arbitrary at that point.