Test Positive for COVID-19

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Test Positive for COVID-19

Post by moonshadow »

Hey... welcome to my world!

EpUolWOXYAE1hxP.jpg
:lol: :P

:hide:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hey Moon - - Love it :!:
:thewave:
:laff: :rofl: :laff:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Bwahahahha! Yes, but moon, I think what you really meant was...
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:19 am

As far as I'm concerned, too me - the vaccine hasn't been proven safe enough yet for me
to get "The Shot/s". I do qualify as a high-risk category senior, but I'll wait.

Then pardon me for being blunt, but you are being foolish.

"All contracted the virus more than two
weeks after being fully vaccinated."

This indicates they DID NOT contract the virus from the vaccine. I just got my first dose yesterday. One of the things they went through with me was what to do if I start getting COVID symptoms. If the symptoms start within 24 hours and are gone within 48, that's fine, stay home until those symptoms stop, they were from my immune system reacting to the dose. After 24 hours or lasting more than 48, then I may have contracted the disease before I got the vaccine, just bad luck, I have to self isolate for at least 10 days, or until my symptoms go away, whichever is longer. These people came down with COVID more than 2 weeks after being fully vaccinated. The incubation period is 2 weeks. This means they were in that small % for whom the vaccine didn't work. It does NOT mean the vaccine gave them the disease. I will still have to practise wearing masks inside public buildings, and maintaining 6 foot separation from other people not in my household. Tedious, but we can't slack off until our region has a decent chance of herd immunity. People who refuse the vaccine will make that take longer.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Three things to add:

1) The vaccine does NOT contain a live virus, dead virus, etc... The vaccine contains *instructions* to make proteins. These proteins look like covid (I’m oversimplifying here) so that your immune system can detect it as a threat - some of the side effects of the vaccine may feel like covid because the vaccine causes an immune response. But this is totally different from the destruction covid can actually cause, which often includes an over-active/destructive immune response.

2) In talking with an epidemiologist, I asked them what % of the population needed to be vaccinated in order to squelch the threat - they basically said 100%. I had heard lower numbers, but they said that because of the transmissibility of the virus, lower numbers won’t cut it. This was their opinion, but I’ve been working on and off with this person for some time and trust them. Also, it was their opinion that lower numbers in countries that have high vaccination rates are not yet due to vaccinations, but other factors.

3) Add to that their healthy endorsement of the vaccine - an unmatched safety profile, and in their words “these mrna vaccines are what vaccines were meant to be, but could never attain.”

And to reiterate - it can take a long time (one to two weeks) to develop covid symptoms - the vaccine, unfortunately, is not a treatment - it just primes your immune system. If you already have covid, or if your immune system isn’t sufficiently trained when you catch covid, you will likely develop covid symptoms. That being said, health departments are following up closely with cases where vaccinated people come down with covid to determine what happened.

Personally I’ve been scouring medical journals for research on mrna vaccines, haven’t found anything concerning - it’s also true there have been very few long-term human trials - I was only able to find two.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Oh, and the vaccine doesn’t promise 100% protection - for some people it won’t work, they may get sick, they might die. But they will be in far fewer numbers than if the general population had not gotten vaccinated.

All news outlets are going to sensationalize every single death from covid in vaccinated people - there will be weeping mothers, children, grandparents. But the fact of the matter is, the vaccine is a gamble where maybe 5 out of every 100 people still get sick. Those 5 people, though, probably would be sicker if they had not gotten the vaccine - for instance some of the vaccines out there might prevent hospitalization, but you might still get mild covid symptoms when/if you catch covid.

All in all it’s up to you to decide on if it’s for you - I’m not going to say whether you are foolish or not. You know your situation, risk factors, and wield some control over your situation (ie, shop during non-crowded hours, avoid crowds). However, as more people get vaccinated and restrictions loosen up, new variants like the even more highly spreadable B.1.1.7 variant (which appears to be replacing the “standard” covid in the us), you will find it harder and harder to protect yourself in public.

Unfortunately I think covid is here to stay, and if we can’t eradicate it then we’ll have to get used to the idea of routine vaccinations to fend off new variants that are different enough to evade vaccinated immune systems.

The “good news” is that the pharma companies are testing their treatments on these variants, and can probably adjust their formulas to protect against them. Whether they can easily combine this into a single shot - who knows - but it’s an interesting process to see unfold.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've heard that with the flu shot, even if you get the flu, but have had the flu shot the case stands a good chance of being less severe.

I would imagine such would apply to covid.

I can't imagine a vaccine would lessen your chances of survival at any rate.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Here in Australia the public has been told "officially" that the vaccine does not prevent you from getting the viral infection nor does it stop you from spreading the virus, it only stops serious symptoms. My question is when everyone is vaccinated but can still spread the virus will you be able to travel?, when the next mutation happens will there be another series of vaccines?
Interestingly here in Australia we have had people in the community with the highly spreadable mutation but it has not spread beyond 10 or 20 cases, go figure!

John
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

john62 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:53 am Here in Australia the public has been told "officially" that the vaccine does not prevent you from getting the viral infection nor does it stop you from spreading the virus, it only stops serious symptoms. My question is when everyone is vaccinated but can still spread the virus will you be able to travel?, when the next mutation happens will there be another series of vaccines?
Interestingly here in Australia we have had people in the community with the highly spreadable mutation but it has not spread beyond 10 or 20 cases, go figure!

John
That’s probably accurate - the idea behind the vaccine is that when you catch covid your body knows how to fight it, which implies vaccinated people will catch it - I think right now, anyways, we don’t know the impact it has on spreadability from vaccinated people.

As for mutations, it’s anyone’s guess.

Finally, in the us at least, testing for variants is dependent on the local health agency (probably varies from state to state whether it’s county/city/etc...) - so for instance it may not show up in high numbers here simply because they aren’t testing enough samples.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, I've had the flu vaccination and the first covid vaccination yet I've just spent 3 days confined to my bedroom with intermittent headache ( not enough to require paracetamol ), cough, catarrh, sore, dry eyes and tiredness. A viral infection certainly. Is it flu or just an unspecified infection? I don't know. If it was flu then the effects weren''t as bad as when I had flu before. Is it covid? I don't think so but I will try and get a test done today to be sure. Makes you wonder with all these things going about. I'm about to start back at work on Tuesday so it will be ironic if I have to self-isolate for the next 10 days.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Coder wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:15 am
john62 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:53 am Here in Australia the public has been told "officially" that the vaccine does not prevent you from getting the viral infection nor does it stop you from spreading the virus, it only stops serious symptoms. My question is when everyone is vaccinated but can still spread the virus will you be able to travel?, when the next mutation happens will there be another series of vaccines?

John
That’s probably accurate - the idea behind the vaccine is that when you catch covid your body knows how to fight it, which implies vaccinated people will catch it - I think right now, anyways, we don’t know the impact it has on spreadability from vaccinated people.

As for mutations, it’s anyone’s guess.

Finally, in the us at least, testing for variants is dependent on the local health agency (probably varies from state to state whether it’s county/city/etc...) - so for instance it may not show up in high numbers here simply because they aren’t testing enough samples.
As for the situation in Australia, there has been a couple of "leaks" from hotel quarantine, and now a hospital in Brisbane, where the supposedly more highly infectious UK strain has been caught, there appears to have been very low community transmission when potentially affected people have been out in the community. Recently two cases, a few weeks apart, the latest a nurse from the affected hospital caused problems when she travelled to Byron Bay to a hens party, I believe that there was one case of transmission only from that, and the affected person was in self quarantine when she tested positive.

I think that the vaccine will have the overall effect of reducing the severity, because the body will recognise the virus and be able to fight it right away. It may be able to trigger the body's immune reaction to viruses such as the common cold as I believe that it is a very similar virus, lessening it's effect. I do wonder though, given the way viruses mutate, how effective it will be long term..

My return travel from WA was changed, and I'm assuming that was the result of the problems that happened here in QLD. I did get back, but my original flight was canned, and rebooked on a later flight. when somebody sneezes here, state premiers close the borders almost just like that.

I do not personally know anyone who has ever tested positive to Covid 19..
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I took a test yesterday and it came back negative. Deaths are now down to as low as 10 per day. I wait for when this is single figures or even zero. Oh, happy day. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I came across this on MSN and think it provides a good case for having the CoronaVirus jab:

If you won’t carry a ‘vaccine passport’, do us all a favour and stay at home
Sean O'Grady

I do sometimes wonder if the country really does want to “send the coronavirus packing”, as Boris Johnson once put it.

If we are to treat this as a war on Covid-19, then it should be “total war”. Certain civil liberties have to be curtailed in such a circumstance. It might be “un-British” to have to carry a “vaccine passport”; but there’s nothing especially patriotic about lying in an intensive care unit, fighting for breath, either. We have a right to live as we wish, but no right to live in a way that endangers other people.

The persistence of the virus is now clear, and we are told we must find ways of living with it. Very well, but we need to minimise its impact, and restore the economy to its former health as soon as possible. Central to this is mass, frequent testing, which it seems we are only getting around to now; and also using every possible means to make sure people get vaccinated.

The “vaccine passport” will soon, rightly, be compulsory for international travel, and its internal equivalent, a sort of “green pass”, needs to be brought in as soon as possible. There must be some insistence about this, for the good of the community as a whole.

For employment in sensitive locations, such as care homes and hospitals, it must be compulsory, but also for other places where people tend to mingle, for example supermarkets, on public transport and entertainment venues: no jab, no job.

The same goes for education, as I have written before – for teachers, other school staff and, provided the trials are properly completed and prove the vaccine safe, for pupils. State education should be made conditional on being proven to be virus-free, either by recent negative testing, vaccination or antibody testing. No parent should have the right to send an infected child into a school where it can endanger the lives of other children, or their families.

It is strange that this seems so outrageous. Children may not remain relatively unaffected by the virus forever, as it mutates, and it is possible they could carry it, now and in the future. Vaccination could provide some defence. The principle of inoculating children against illness used to be taken for granted. Almost everyone in the country has had a BCG or MMR jab in the past, before conspiracy theories took a grip on so many. We eventually eliminated smallpox through a global vaccination campaign. Millions of lives have been saved. Millions more can be saved through Covid vaccination, but it needs to be as comprehensive as possible for the herd immunity effects to overwhelm the virus.

For consumers, the case for a “green pass” is also overwhelming, not least on economic grounds. Confidence will be needed to tempt many people back into the pubs, clubs, restaurants, stadiums, theatres, cinemas and all the rest. Some of us, after a year of watching Covid inflict its miseries, are still wary.

In a week or so I will have reached my peak immunity from Covid after taking my first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. This means that I have some protection from the very worst effects of Covid, but it is by no means a 100 per cent, science fiction-style force field, warding off any infection. I may also still become an unwitting carrier of the virus if I am infected (the scientists don’t know for sure about that). The present immunity may erode over time, especially before I receive the second jab, and the new “variants of concern” might be tougher for my immune system to deal with, even post-vaccine.

There are side effects to the jabs, well advertised by their makers, but the public’s inability to balance risk means that the relatively trivial danger of these, compared to the much more lethal and likely long-term consequences of getting a dose of Covid, continue to be misunderstood. There are still folk out there who think it’s no worse than the flu, or that the whole thing is a hoax by the global elite to destroy small independent businesses via the “great reset”, or something to do with aliens and lizard people and the European Union (ironically). The vaccine, alas, is not yet universal, and may not be with people like that around, but there is no need to encourage them.

So, I think I am being rational in remaining cautious about going out into the big wide, Covid-contaminated world. Not all of us are so desperate to get down the pub that we’re prepared to – literally – die for a pint. We need to make the country safe for our lives and our liberties to be restored for good. I do not want to live a future of Covid flare-ups and periodic lockdowns just because we botched yet another chance to send the coronavirus packing. Herd immunity, gained preferably via vaccination, is the only future.

Practically, it’s a huge challenge – but surmountable. We in Britain are not all that efficient at organising this sort of thing, so we should now approach the Israelis, where their “green pass” is well underway, and just pay them to set the exact same thing up in the UK. Or maybe that’s just Bill and Melinda Gates telling me what to say. Not a bad idea, either way.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/i ... li=BBoPWjQ
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by 6ft3Aussie » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:32 am
...Recently two cases, a few weeks apart, the latest a nurse from the affected hospital caused problems when she travelled to Byron Bay to a hens party, I
Byron Bay, probably just mistook her mask for a bikini bottom... :wink:
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:00 am
by 6ft3Aussie » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:32 am
...Recently two cases, a few weeks apart, the latest a nurse from the affected hospital caused problems when she travelled to Byron Bay to a hens party, I
Byron Bay, probably just mistook her mask for a bikini bottom... :wink:
Seeing as masks were not required, doubtful, but I'm sure there's a few that would try!!!

There hasn't been any mandate to wear masks here since the beginning of January, as the virus has all but been eliminated in Australia, except in hotel quarantine for people coming into the country.