Test Positive for COVID-19

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Test Positive for COVID-19

Post by Kirbstone »

Exactly that here, PM. MOH's current VW. T4 camper was bought as a painter's panel van, retrofitted with side windows, fixed 'streamlined' high roof, kitchen sink, cooker, cabinets, insulation, cabin lighting and foldable bed & table. A side awning, too. This vehicle is a real charger with a turbo 2.7 liter 5-pot, but qualifies for cheap insurance and annual road tax. On the road, like SUVs &c it's a 'car'.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Sinned wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:50 pm Sorry, 75"Aussie, I presume your comment about the drive-in payment was tongue-in-cheek as over here the younger generation know very few other payment methods than phone contactless. It would mean very few drivers on the road under the age of 70! Mind you, 85mph through a drive-in - is that what they call fast service?

Here speeding is points and a fine. Vehicle impounding is not common but can happen. Gatso ( speed ) cameras are yellow. We also have average speed cameras over a measured stretch of road so if your time is under a certain value then you are in trouble. Mind you there are cameras all over the roads monitoring you all the time.
Well, Sinned, actually no, don't even think about using your phone to pay for your Maccas (or any other fast food) at the drive-through. That will cost you 4 points and a $1000 fine here in QLD if you get caught, and it's happened before as the drive through is legally considered to be a public road. Use cash or card, or stop in the carpark and go inside. I usually just use tap and go card payment, as I have not set up my phone to do it for a reason, actually not that reason.

Here there can be a car sitting on the side of the road with a speed camera inside, and they don't need to advertise the fact. There are fixed cameras, and there's also no requirement to signpost the areas (although there's usually signs telling you that cameras are used on the roads fairly close, maybe within 1 km) where the cameras are. Most people know where the fixed cameras are. And yes, there's point to point cameras which are looking at your average speed between two points, maybe 10km apart, as you drive.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not sure on the legal status of drive throughs here as to whether considered private land or not. I rarely use drive throughs. AFAIK over here you have to be in a vehicle to use a drive through but with covid that may have changed. Not really my area of expertise. I know that shopping centre car parks are privately owned but considered public thoroughfares.

Yeah, we have non-permanent speed traps too. Until the past year or two North Yorkshire was the only county in England not to have any speed cameras but sadly we now have them too.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sounds like some SERIOUS Orwellian 1984 stuff going on over there! But I shouldn't say anything, we're right behind you, and is one of the things the D's and R's agree on.

As for drive throughs and parking lots, I'm not aware of any law forbidding using a cellphone while behind the wheel. They are private property, and I suppose the property owner could ban it, but unless they have their own security (private police) force, good luck getting the public cops to enforce it.

I suppose you all can't even sit in your own driveway, in park, and handle a phone?

Virginia just passed their hands free law last year, you are allowed to be behind the wheel with a phone in your hand, but you have to be pulled over at a SAFE location, and the car has to be in park, or otherwise not in gear. I don't think this would apply to drive-thru's but even if it did, you'd just put the car in park and you're compliant again.

As for cameras, the western side of Virginia has no traffic cameras at all, but they do have them in the eastern part of the state.

Tennessee has them EVERYWHERE, so this proves that traffic cams are bipartisan.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

In South Carolina, parking lots and drive throughs are not considered public roads. However the owners of such can and do in a lot of places have signs that give the local police jurisdiction with-in the lots.
They can there fore investigate accidents and illegal parking in those lots and issue those expensive pieces of paper known as tickets. If the lot owners post speed limit signs the police can and do enforce them too. Where public roads do cross parking lots the police do not need to have an agreement with the lot owners to enforce the laws of the state.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I find Australia’s rules absolutely excessive. In built up areas, no issue. That makes sense. But in the open country, and especially on dual carriageways, what’s the problem?

Quite what the Australian authorities would make of my father and I, in a Lamborghini Countach QV, doing the 420 miles between Perthshire, Scotland and London, in just over four and a half hours (including the drive into central London), would make for interesting reading!

(This was 1985. The roads were half empty! 125mph cruise, peaking at 160. 12mpg! I was still a teenager! What an amazing day - and car. You couldn’t do it now. Too much traffic).
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Well, back in 1985, there was NO speed limit on the open road in the Australian NT!!!
One of my former work colleagues (now retired) described to me one occasion when he was working as a broadcast engineer based in Darwin, that they had a fault that occurred in Alice Springs, some 1500km south..
They loaded up their (at the time) brand new Ford Falcon with the gear they would need to restore service in Alice Springs, and set off at 6am the following morning, and arrived in Alice Springs about 2.30pm (8 1/2 hours driving) the same day, a just under 1500 drive. He said that they drove that car as fast as it would go the whole way, and sat on between 200 and 220kmh all the way, only slowing when they went through towns.

The NT was forced by the Federal Government to introduce standardised speed limits in 2007, or loose all Federal funding for roads, and for a state (territory) with a very low population density, which would have pretty much meant that the NT Government would not have been able to maintain their very good highway network.
It has been noted (but the media will never report this) that the road fatalities have significantly increased since speed limits were introduced, which goes in the face of the politically motivated road safety propaganda.

There used to be an unofficial Cannonball Run in the years gone by from Darwin to Alice Springs, and the coppers from other states were always sitting on the state lines ready to book 'em if the came across the line over that state's limit.

Oh, Moonshadow, If you were sitting in the carpark, obviously parked with the vehicle not in gear, you'd be fine. The rozzers can't get you there, even though there's some who might want to try.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Brilliant story! Tha road is highway 85, yes?

I recall buying an Australian car magazine in 2006 (when in Oz) in which a Lamborghini Murcielago was taken up to NT for a quick blast. A good read, but nothing compared to your story.

Speed and road deaths? Yes, you can get a counterintuitive result. I believe it was the same in the USA: when the 55mph speed limit was relaxed, casualties dropped. Increased concentration at higher speeds, perhaps?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This is for Pelmut, who PM'd me about his conversion of his Hiace van which serves both as utility store & transport, also accommodation for one, with detailed photos of same.
Alas I have only very few pics of MOH's Camper. This one was taken at a cute little roadside snackery somewhere in middle England. It shows the projecting awning case on the N/S, also just visible at the rear side window, the level of the cabinetry/sink/cooker all built in fixtures. The painted music on the offside is 'Somewhere over the Rainbow'. She has a rainbow on the N/S.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Just to try and get the thread back on thread, sort of. Allegedly chemists are giving away boxes of covid testing kits with every prescription collection. A friend of my wife picked up her prescription yesterday and was given a box of testing kits. What's next? Cornflake packets?

I have no real difficulty getting hold of any kits, being offered them from family and work. How about the rest of you?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Dennis
So far I have not had any need to be tested but never say never.
I picked up a prescription from my local Boots on Wednesday and there was no offer from them.
If I did need, I am sure that my work would provide because they would not risk having me infect anyone else.
As for "back on track", thanks because I am afraid to say that I find motoring quite boring,
It is simply a means of getting from A to B and hopefully in one piece.
Steve.