Another existential threat to humanity

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Another existential threat to humanity

Post by TheRod »

The fertility of humans is projected to be zero by 2045:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dApp_Other
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another existential threat to humanity

Post by Kirbstone »

One always views announcements like this from one's own perspective. That date is a mere 24 years hence, roughly one generation. I'll be a strapping youth of 103 by then and right now I head a 16-member four-generation direct family dynasty, with a further two due to appear later this year.

That forecast certainly won't bother me at all.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Might be what saves the planet.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Agreed. I’m quite relaxed about that. Excess procreation and consumption is killing the planet. This would solve one problem and directly impact the other.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

My first reaction to this was "good". I read the article, then debated posting my thoughts on this thread, only to find others already in agreement.

I have to admit, the article gave me hope. Though I seriously doubt fertility will drop to zero at any point, fewer humans running around messing things up in the future can hardly be seen as a "bad thing" in my humble opinion.

The article also underscores what I've always said, that "the universe [Nature] always settles the score"...

The chemicals to blame for this crisis are found in everything from plastic containers and food wrapping, to waterproof clothes and fragrances in cleaning products, to soaps and shampoos, to electronics and carpeting.

We can't destroy Nature, we can only destroy ourselves. We can give Nature a temporary black eye, but she ALWAYS comes out on top.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.