Covid 19

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Covid 19

Post by rode_kater »

Sinned wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:33 am The latest is that the UK invested £21m in fitting out the Halix factory in the Netherlands where the disputed vaccine is being produced with the guarantee that the vaccines came here. The EU spent nothing.
The reason why the price for the EU is so low is because AZ received €336 million Euro up front to make a supply beforehand. This is just part of the €2.1 billion the EU has invested in production facilities across Europe. If you compare that to the number of doses received that makes AZ probably the most expensive of all.

I won't say everything went well, 'cause it didn't. But this rubbish about "the EU spent nothing" is stupid.

To say nothing of the millions of doses sitting in an American warehouse while the FDA hasn't approved it, but also can't be exported.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

.... To say nothing of the millions of doses sat in EU countries' stores because their leaders ( France and Germany come to mind among others ) so rubbished the safety of the AZ/O vaccine that substantial numbers of their populations distrust the vaccine at a time when they need to get the doses into people's arms. I'm not saying that the EU don't invest in medical research, most governments do as it's in their best interest to do so - all I am saying is that in this particular production facility they didn't take the opportunity so they should shut up and keep out of it. Investing in production facilities is one thing but producing what? They obviously didn't get in on the ground floor of the Covid-19 vaccine and that's where their problem lies. I know that if I were AZ then I would be rethinking their strategy of where their production facilities are located the way the EU is treating them. As we know multinationals can switch facilities for the skimpiest of reasons. I prefer the current action to the war of words the EU is embroiled in at present.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

On Friday my wife and I were able to get our second dose of the Moderna COVID vaccine. Posted this picture on Facebook with only positive responses, none mentioning the skirt.
Moderna-Jim_4-16-21_1cs.jpg
Maybe it's not stylish to tie one's coat around one's waist, but there were long outside lines in the cool air, then it was hot inside with no place to put the coat.

IDPH in the backdrop is the Illinois Department of Public Health.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:00 am
rode_kater wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:39 am
Coder wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:03 am I have the same feeling - although from what I’ve read these things tend to burn themselves out in a few years - and even if they stick around they become less deadly over time.
Or the people who lost the genetic lottery get it bad and die off. Either way we'll have to learn to live with it.

The bit that scares me not the dying, that doesn't hurt. It's the possibility of Long Covid where you just never really recover. I know of people that got Covid March last year and are now building up again at work at a day or two a week. Young people too, age 23. That's basically the rest of your life written off.

I have not recovered fully. I had Covid Pneumonia back in February. I have ok days and horrible days since then. There are days when completing the simplest tasks is daunting at best. My symptoms that linger are headaches, nausea, dizziness, forgetfulness (more than normal), body aches, blurred vision, involuntary head shakes, weight loss ( down to 169), chest pains, heart palpitations, and brain fog.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:02 pmI have not recovered fully. I had Covid Pneumonia back in February. I have ok days and horrible days since then. There are days when completing the simplest tasks is daunting at best. My symptoms that linger are headaches, nausea, dizziness, forgetfulness (more than normal), body aches, blurred vision, involuntary head shakes, weight loss ( down to 169), chest pains, heart palpitations, and brain fog.
Yikes, FFA. I'm dreadfully sorry to hear that.

Given that you're likely to be in for what's known as a "long haul", I'd suggest keeping a journal noting down what you've felt during the day so you can refer back to it objectively over time to see if things are getting better or worse, and to have as evidence when talking to the medics. A lot of this is terra incognita at the moment, and the medical community is still learning -- especially about the long-term aspects.

Best of luck, and best wishes!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

A lot of this is terra incognita at the moment, and the medical community is still learning -- especially about the long-term aspects.

Best of luck, and best wishes!
That is correct. Just visited an infectious disease doctor last week. Her words to me were that no one in the medical really knows where this is all headed. She said there is chatter among some in the scientific community concerning vaccines helping the "longhaul" folks. However, there have been no studies and it is unknown if the vaccine has a placebo effect or is indeed helping symptoms. Scary times.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The "terra incognita" effect is why I mentioned keeping a journal of symptoms -- it removes quite of bit of subjectivity when it comes to time.

The human brain can behave in odd ways over time, usually by glossing over the "usual" and focusing on the "highs" and the "lows", frequently with a bias to the "lows". Thus, in a week where one has had one very good day, a few routine days, and two entirely bad days will be recalled as, "It was a wretched week".

In something like this, I'd be tempted to put together a laundry-list of observable symptoms, jot all of them down, and pre-print pages for the journal and each evening assign each one a value from "no problem at all" to "incapacitated by it", noting also if there was anything new observed. Fill those in and also make general notes regarding each day before retiring for the night. It won't be 100%, but it'll be a memory aid and likely useful as a talking point when dealing with the doctors. It'd also be a useful tool in quantitatively determining whether things are getting better or worse over time because it'll get rid of the mental blurring that's entirely normal.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:30 pm The "terra incognita" effect is why I mentioned keeping a journal of symptoms -- it removes quite of bit of subjectivity when it comes to time.

The human brain can behave in odd ways over time, usually by glossing over the "usual" and focusing on the "highs" and the "lows", frequently with a bias to the "lows". Thus, in a week where one has had one very good day, a few routine days, and two entirely bad days will be recalled as, "It was a wretched week".

In something like this, I'd be tempted to put together a laundry-list of observable symptoms, jot all of them down, and pre-print pages for the journal and each evening assign each one a value from "no problem at all" to "incapacitated by it", noting also if there was anything new observed. Fill those in and also make general notes regarding each day before retiring for the night. It won't be 100%, but it'll be a memory aid and likely useful as a talking point when dealing with the doctors. It'd also be a useful tool in quantitatively determining whether things are getting better or worse over time because it'll get rid of the mental blurring that's entirely normal.
I really appreciate the advice, as said earlier I have trouble thinking clearly. I thought about what you said and realized that I have indeed been glossing over as the weeks begin to run together. This should help me to see improvement rather than focusing on things that are wrong. Thanks again for a different perspective.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I have an appointment to get my first vaccine shot this afternoon. Been quite the little wait, but my turn has finally arrived. By the by, I'll be getting the Pfizer vaccine. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Second Pfizer shot in the ole arm!

Now let's sit back and enjoy the ride! :alien:
covid_19_card.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:19 pm Second Pfizer shot in the ole arm!

Now let's sit back and enjoy the ride! :alien:
Lucky it was in the arm ....... so you can sit back :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've got my first jab scheduled for tomorrow morning.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, I got the shot at around 5 PM yesterday, it's now a quarter after 8AM today and I have virtually no symptoms. Even my arm which was dreadfully sore after the first one is only about "flu shot sore" today, which is to say, it's not very sore. I feel like if I'm going to start showing vaccine symptoms, I should be seeing them by now. *crosses fingers*

I am off today and tomorrow and given the shot, I had planned to stay in and recover, but it looks like I'll have a change in plans for the better.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Well done, Moon!

That’s a weight off your mind. Not 100% though - so stay safe ;-)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Thanks Ray, it's been about 25 hours now, I was out and about today (in a skirt). I am showing some mild discomfort. Very minor, that slightly "achy" groggy feeling when you feel like you're coming down with something.

I have had trouble getting warm this afternoon, but with the temperatures in the low 40s with a gusty northern wind blowing... I'm sure that's not helping.

A slight tension headache is also present.

Ah, a good night to order in and watch DVD!
-Andrea