A Murmuration

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

A Murmuration

Post by Kirbstone »

Today I was fascinated by a Dawn picture taken by an Irish Times photographer at Lough Ennel, Co. Westmeath, who spent some time on that location. The large close-knit flock of Starlings took on several forms, but his patience was rewarded when the 'murmuration' took on the shape of a very large flying creature for a short while.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Murmuration

Post by Elisabetta »

That shot is amazing!
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Cool!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

Awesome
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

A very cool shot.. To get pictures like that takes a lot of patience for sure...
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

You could spend a lifetime behind the lens and never get a shot like that.
The odds must run into googols.
Steve
What you cannot see is the hard ass predator crying for its Mammy.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've actually seen a murmuration and pictures just don't do the display justice. Stood there for several minutes watching the fluid changing of the patterns, held enthralled by the complexity of movements. Several thousands of black specks weaving patterns before finally dropping to roost. Even that is an event of wonder. Words just fail to describe.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am I've actually seen a murmuration and pictures just don't do the display justice
Agreed but it is so difficult to convey the depth of spectacle and awe inspiration in words alone.
Besides who would really believe a description of the image of the "big bird"?
Erm, what exactly had you imbibed before you had this vision etc?
I have seen one in the city centre that only consisted of maybe a few hundred and that was amazing in itself.
Above a main street on a late shopping night, most of the pedestrians just stopped to gaze.
I would not be exaggerating to say that it created an atmosphere that was almost palpable.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

On the occasion we were driving through countryside after a day out and it was starting to get dark. One of our children spotted it over distant woodland to the side and we stopped to watch. Since I was driving with family onboard no unsuitable substances imbibed. Difficult to estimate the quantity of birds in the murmuration but it must have been a few thousand. The display lasted a few minutes before the birds dropped down to roost. This was an era before modern phones otherwise I would have loved to have captured the images.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.