Pink

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Pink

Post by Stu »

A few months ago, I visited a niece I hadn't seen for some time. She had her two children at home - a girl aged 9 and a boy aged 7. The girl dragged me to her room to show me all her "stuff" which largely consisted of masses of doll-related items including a house, limo, toy swimming pool etc. She also showed me her huge walk-in wardrobe that was brimming full of clothes. Among them was a designer pink shirt, which she said belonged to her younger brother and she said some other items of his were on the same rail. I thought nothing more of it as I have seen plenty of boys wearing pink shirts. Not a problem.

Yesterday, my wife had a lengthy conversation with my younger daughter over some Internet app she has. Apparently, my niece has lots of nearly new clothes and shoes, and a brand new school bag (never used), which she said belonged to her daughter but which she could pass down to our granddaughter if we cold pick them up. If we didn't want them, they would be thrown away. I asked my wife why she hadn't passed them down first to her son, to which my wife said some items (a winter coat, some new Nike sports shoes and the bag) were either pink, or had pink on them. "But the lad has a shirt that is totally pink. I have seen it!" For some reason, that's different. For a boy, apparently, a pink shirt is fine, but a pink winter coat is only for girls. Same with footwear and accessories.

Am I alone in thinking this is insane?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pink

Post by r.m.anderson »

There is this stereo-type position that "PINK" is the color of a sissy and to be worn by the female.
How times have changed - PINK a shade of RED was formerly a male color (of royalty) and blue was female.
Things have reversed - times have changed.
But still yet there is PINK clothing to worn by the male - just not in the same league of the female.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:00 pm Am I alone in thinking this is insane?
No you are not alone.

The fact that colors are genderfied is completely ridiculous.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The whole concept of gender being applied to inanimate objects is actually insane.
So, Stu, you are not alone by any measure.
Steve.
Oddly though I don't wear pink myself.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Clearly with how we are used to see people, it would seem strange to see a boy wearing pink clothes or accessories. But that's not a reason to directly answer "no" when someone propose to give you pink clothes or accessories for your son, it would be nice to first ask the son himself.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

What's wrong with pink? I would wear pink and have in the past. I have more than one pink shirt, T-shirt tie. I think I even have a pink skirt. I would buy other stuff in pink, though I am not actively seeking them out. As for the boy, well a shirt is a boy item whatever the colour but a pink coat? Nothing.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Never understood it myself - especially since preppy guys on TV shows and movies of the 80's/90's would wear a pink polo. Somehow it being a polo shields them from the femininity rays pouring forth from that color.

Myself.... not a fan of pink or purple, but that's mostly my own preference.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I really like wearing pink.
A lot of guys here wear pink shirts and bolder pinks in some ties - although ties are becoming a thing of the past.
Admittedly I wear skirts/dresses but pinks are always fun to wear - and pink highlights in an outfit are great.

Personally I love pink shoes too - from baby pinks to bold pinks. Doesn't matter pink is a neat colour.

Also for me - I find my complexion suits pinks - so I like wearing pink for that reason too. Why should it be just for girls. If you like it wear the colour I think.

Cheers
NZF
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I have the odd pair of pink trousers. More dusky pink. I like them and have never had an issue wearing them.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:16 pm What's wrong with pink? I would wear pink and have in the past. I have more than one pink shirt, T-shirt tie. I think I even have a pink skirt. I would buy other stuff in pink, though I am not actively seeking them out. As for the boy, well a shirt is a boy item whatever the colour but a pink coat? Nothing.
Dennis,
There is nothing that can be inherently wrong with any colour on the whole of the spectrum.
In my own case, pink is just not to my personal tastes. I would certainly admit that it has roots in my dour Presbyterian upbringing though.
My go to in that area is actually from scarlet through to burgundy. I really do like red to wear, skirts and tops.
In a wider context there are innumerable slants that humans will ascribe to an innocent shade.
Religion, politics and even sports all have influences. There are areas of the world where the wrong colour of garb could get you hurt and possibly killed too.
The colour isn't to blame just the stupidity of some of the human race.
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Has Pink Always Been a “Girly” Color?

(This topic as been brought up several times at the Cafe')
If you see newborn babies at a hospital in the U.S., you’ll most likely see them in pink or blue outfits
to mark their sex (often conflated with gender identity). Has the U.S. always used colors to signify boys
or girls? The short answer is no. Pastel colors for baby clothing—including blue and pink—were introduced
in the mid-19th century, and they didn’t become sex-specific colors until the 20th century. A couple of
different aspects affected the ultimate designation of pink for girls.

Back before pastels were popular for babies, most parents dressed their kids in white dresses until they
were about six. Historian Jo B. Paoletti says this outfit was practical: white cotton could be easily bleached, and dresses allowed convenient access for diaper changing. Then pastel colors became a fad for babies. These pastels weren’t marketed to a certain sex: both boys and girls were dressed in a wide array of pastels, including blue and pink. At the beginning of the 20th century, some stores began suggesting “sex-appropriate” colors.

In 1918 the trade publication Earnshaw’s Infants’ Department claimed the “generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.” Additionally, a 1927 issue of Time noted that large-scale department stores in Boston, Chicago, and New York suggested pink for boys. This trend of pink for boys was not as overwhelming as our current color-sex designation, however.

The baby boomers in the 1940s were the first to be dressed in the sex-specific clothing that Americans are familiar with today. Boys and girls were dressed like miniature men and women instead of uniformly in children’s dresses. Pink became the girls’ color, blue the boys’. This trend in children’s clothing took a dip in the mid-1960s and 1970s owing to the women’s liberation movement. People who took part in this movement thought that dressing young girls in feminine or stereotypically “girly” clothing would limit the girls’ opportunities for success, and many parents began favoring neutral colors and fashions. By the 1980s, however, gender-oriented kids clothing had come back into fashion strongly. Paoletti points to the invention
of prenatal testing as the cause of this fad, since parents were able to learn (and subsequently emphasize) the sex of their baby before the baby’s birth. Also, clothes-washing technology began to allow cleaning and bleaching of colorful clothes without damage to the clothes’ hues.
Source: https://www.britannica.com/story/has-pi ... irly-color

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

In a previous incarnation in my twenties I briefly joined a rowing club which runs the Henley Royal Regatta. Leander Club, very prestigious and located at the bridge at Henley-upon-Thames, Oxon, England, not even overlooking the famous regatta course, which is round a bend further downstream. Their colour is Cerise, which to you and me is a light Barbie Pink. Items bearing this colour and the elephant logo that goes with it are ties, socks, some competitive rowing clothing and caps, of course. Their blades (oars) are also pink.

Training from there in the mid Sixties I was amused that their loo paper was also pink.

Other than that I possess just one pink shirt.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hmmph....

First birthday... out of one box and into another one...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have at leat one pink shirt, a couple of pink neckties, and at least two pink skirts.

Screw "convention".

The first time I donned pink was to line up with my then-girlfriend's prom dress -- and that shirt was handed to me by my father (I never saw him wear it, but it worked "well enough" on me), I've never looked back, save for misty-eyed remembrances of my first love.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

crfriend wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:47 am I have at leat one pink shirt, a couple of pink neckties, and at least two pink skirts.

Screw "convention".
Well I don't have any pink skirts - but If you need pink shoes to match a skirt... I' must have at least 10 or so pink pairs of shoes