update on mom

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

update on mom

Post by Freedomforall »

For anyone that saw my post on the "what were you doing an hour ago forum", Mom passed away last night in Vanderbilt hospital. I spent the day there yesterday and it was quite chaotic. I had to keep telling them repeatedly that she had long since lost her ability to speak, hear, write, or read at all. It is amazing that all doctors and nurses documented what I told them but none seemed to read her chart notes to acquire the information. Anyway, they removed Mom's ventilator around 4pm. Michelle and I stayed until 530pm and she passed away around 730. It was a long 10 years dealing with her frontal Temporal Dementia. I am relieved as she had no quality of life left for a long time.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: update on mom

Post by Sinned »

My condolences to you, ffa, and it's not an easy time for you. While she has not been well for a long while any death is sudden even when perhaps expected. Take your time to grieve. In three days time it will be 13 years since we lost our second eldest son to leukaemia and it is still painful to think about. Take care and take each day at a time. You will be in my prayers.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sorry to hear the news FFA. Best wishes from the frozen north.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Freedom for All
My condolences to you and your family.
I honestly believe that your Mom has now passed beyond suffering that is regardless of any religious aspect.
Treasure your memories when her life did have real quality and celebrate the time she had with you.
Steve.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

My condolances. It must have been a hard time during the last few years.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I am deeply sorry to hear about your mom. I am sure dealing with her frontal Temporal Dementia was hard to do. But now she is no longer suffering and is at peace. My prayers are with you and your family.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

You have my deepest sympathy, FFA. Your mum is in a far happier place now. My own mum was struck down at at age 79 by a rapid and unpleasant variety of dementia. We didn't celebrate her 80th as she had already lost the ability to grasp what that meant. Exactly how to cope with it caused considerable tensions between us four offsprings, alas.
At age 81 we got her out of her care home to spend Christmas with us, which she enjoyed immensely even though she no longer knew who any of us were. At age 82 her bodily systems shut down and she passed away. Having survived my Dad by 23 years, she rejoined him painlessly in her sleep and it was all over. Photographs do help enormously to preserve her memory.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Freedomforall wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:24 pm For anyone that saw my post on the "what were you doing an hour ago forum", Mom passed away last night in Vanderbilt hospital. I spent the day there yesterday and it was quite chaotic. I had to keep telling them repeatedly that she had long since lost her ability to speak, hear, write, or read at all. It is amazing that all doctors and nurses documented what I told them but none seemed to read her chart notes to acquire the information. Anyway, they removed Mom's ventilator around 4pm. Michelle and I stayed until 530pm and she passed away around 730. It was a long 10 years dealing with her frontal Temporal Dementia. I am relieved as she had no quality of life left for a long time.
So very sorry for the loss of your mom my friend.Our Prayers are with you and your family.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Dementia is a thief that steals every last morsel of ones original personality. The body can adapt to loss of limbs etc., but there is no chance of that happening with Dementia. It not only steals from the victim, it robs families and forces them into horrible situations dealing with its victims. It is frightening how it seems to be getting more prevalent.

Thank you all so much for the kind words. I appreciate each and every one of them and the time you took to message me!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Really sorry to hear that - you have my condolences and empathy. I remember when my mum passed away. That was a decade ago and I still miss her - and especially her wicked sense of humour.

Nature takes its course and the best any of us can hope for is that, when our time comes, we will have had a full life and that we would be surrounded by loved ones.