Then and Now

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Then and Now

Post by Fred in Skirts »

We went from pretty and nice to ratty and ugly. I still have not figured out why people want to look like beggars and bums, when it is so easy to look nice and prosperous. They pay a pretty penny to look so ugly and poor.
now and then.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Then and Now

Post by Sinned »

I just can't fathom out the popularity of the "distressed" look. Sometimes the "distressing" is so extreme that you can see the *rse hanging out and very little of the legs left to provide any coverage. As shown in the 2020 photo. Also T's seem to be the most common top. No decent blouses or button shirts any more.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Just think you can buy a few cases of second quality jeans then go out in the woods with your 12 gauge shotgun and distress the hell out of them. Come home and put them in the washing machine and run them through a few cycles. Then advertise them on E-Bay and charge 5 times or more than what you paid for them and get it.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Fred
Fashion is all it is and not really that big a deal.
I wonder if a 1950s woman would have dared the distressed look if she thought she could get away with it?
Probably not much more likely than her man going out wearing a skirt.
It's changed days and the 50s adults no more approved of the clothes trends than than we do now either.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:21 am Hi Fred
Fashion is all it is and not really that big a deal.
I wonder if a 1950s woman would have dared the distressed look if she thought she could get away with it?
Probably not much more likely than her man going out wearing a skirt.
It's changed days and the 50s adults no more approved of the clothes trends than than we do now either.
Steve.
Hi Steve,

No it isn't fashion it is garbage and in some cases I have seen totally indecent.
When you destroy a piece of clothing just so you can show your arse to everyone around you it is not fashion. I saw a young woman in the store awhile back that might as well not bothered to put the destroyed jeans on since I could see everything she had to one degree or another.
She was not wearing underwear, and I could tell she kept the area shaved...

Fred
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It doesn't worry me what people wear, even if I can't understand it, an attitude of which is the least that I expect of people seeing me in a mini skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 am It doesn't worry me what people wear, even if I can't understand it, an attitude of which is the least that I expect of people seeing me in a mini skirt.
That's my take on it. There are some outfits I think are completely ridiculous, and these tattered jeans are among them, sagging pants is another look you won't see me wear, but hey... they have the right to wear what they want. I'd never advocate that these looks be "banned" from society. Who am I to judge? I myself am an abomination of biblical proportion! :twisted:

But getting back to the tattered jeans... notice they are popular among females... the reason is obvious, they are meant to show [forbidden] skin. Just as men are now expected to wear the more grungy, dingy looks.

I'd like to see elegance return to fashion.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:16 pm We went from pretty and nice to ratty and ugly. I still have not figured out why people want to look like beggars and bums, when it is so easy to look nice and prosperous. They pay a pretty penny to look so ugly and poor.
Fred
Can I just add, what hurt is done to you by what clothes someone else wears?
Would you really like to see style and clothing under some compulsory ruling?
If so, you'd best give up wearing skirts right now.
I reckon there could be more individuals who would have men in skirts banned than support it.
Surely it is easier to live and let live.
I'd also still say that things were not all a bed of roses in the 50s either.
Steve.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Obviously it's far better now than in the 50's. I already find women beautiful (too) easily, then imagine if they would all be so nicely dressed? I would love them all! :lol:
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:34 pm I'd also still say that things were not all a bed of roses in the 50s either.
Steve.
People really need to stop fetishizing the 1950's. I know that wasn't what Fred was doing here, but I've seen it elsewhere, and it gets old quick...

Society can be too formal, just like it can be too casual. The pendulum has swung, and it will swing back.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dust wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:41 amPeople really need to stop fetishizing the 1950's. I know that wasn't what Fred was doing here, but I've seen it elsewhere, and it gets old quick...
I solidly concur. Let's leave the past in the past and do our best to shape the future as we'd like to live in it. If part of that means bringing elegance back into style, then let's be the ambassadors and lead the charge,

Personally, I will be happy to see the grunge look die a well-deserved death. However, I am not going to hold my breath for that moment as I suspect it's going to be beyond my expiry date.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As for the 1950s.... let's rewind the clock a few centuries...
6e2b6d590fe1d5fc6b6a369bea2b48ec.jpg
^THAT is elegance...

Let's make it happen! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Or... rewind another millennia and try something from the East...
s-l400.jpg
-Andrea
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Not the Fifties but there is a difference between a hypothetical ^then" and now.
The choice to dress in clothes of ones own choice is not solely based on status or gender.
Both the examples posted by Moon are highly elegant and attractive but they would have been strictly limited to a certain "class" of prosperous individual, man or woman.
There are still societies today where a man or woman wearing the wrong "style" of clothing could be subject to some degree of punishment.
Perhaps the difference isn't quite the same for everyone as I suggested,
I just consider myself fortunate to be able to exercise my choice and be able to rise above how things were in the "good old days".
Steve.
Stevej180

Post by Stevej180 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
> We went from pretty and nice to ratty and ugly. I still have not figured
> out why people want to look like beggars and bums, when it is so easy to
> look nice and prosperous. They pay a pretty penny to look so ugly and
> poor.
>
> now and then.jpg

I think teenage fashion (and teenagers in general) have always been deliberately rebellious. Destroying denim is just the latest twist. Doubt you’d see anyone over 40 wearing that....