Then and Now

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Then and Now

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Stevej180 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:08 pm I think teenage fashion (and teenagers in general) have always been deliberately rebellious. Destroying denim is just the latest twist. Doubt you’d see anyone over 40 wearing that....
I have seen women who were at least 50 wearing these torn up rags. It is no longer the teenagers who are destroying the clothes they wear. It has become the way the people have behave.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:49 pm
I have seen women who were at least 50 wearing these torn up rags. It is no longer the teenagers who are destroying the clothes they wear. It has become the way the people have behave.
Hi Fred
In other words, people of our generation, our peers.
Perhaps these women were sufficiently oppressed in the good old days that they are just now finding the courage to dress as they please. Does that not resonate with you because it sure as hell does with me?
I still feel that how someone else chooses to clothe their body is no skin off my nose.
There is no percentage in getting upset, it really does not matter at all.
Let it go, there are infinitely worse things in this world right now.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:06 amI still feel that how someone else chooses to clothe their body is no skin off my nose.
There is no percentage in getting upset, it really does not matter at all.
Let it go, there are infinitely worse things in this world right now.
Ditto. It's no skin off my nose.

Rags aren't a style I'd choose (I happen to detest denim anyway) but I won't begrudge others if they want to look like they climbed out of a dumpster.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:44 pm Rags aren't a style I'd choose (I happen to detest denim anyway) but I won't begrudge others if they want to look like they climbed out of a dumpster.
Hi Carl
I seem to remember your aversion to the ubiquitous denim from previous posts.
However, I also rather think that I would do unto others as I expect to be done by.
Surely that is a huge part of the freedoms that men in skirts are trying to achieve.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:07 pmI also rather think that I would do unto others as I expect to be done by.
Surely that is a huge part of the freedoms that men in skirts are trying to achieve.
Precisely.

It's not really my business to critique what others wear in the wild, and I will treat a person with dignity and respect. The "Golden Rule" and whatnot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:11 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:07 pmI also rather think that I would do unto others as I expect to be done by.
Precisely.

It's not really my business to critique what others wear in the wild, and I will treat a person with dignity and respect. The "Golden Rule" and whatnot.
Do unto others as they would do unto you, BUT do it first!!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.