What were you doing an hour ago?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What were you doing an hour ago?

Post by pelmut »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:23 pm Hi Pelmut,

From your posts you probably have an encyclopaedic knowledge about things automotive. ...
Not really, it is just the result of loads of bitter experience born of unwillingness to pay someone else to do things that I could do for myself.  There is also an element of chance:  I seem to have the knack of attracting obscure faults and problems, that nobody else even knew were possible, and having to solve them unaided.  I often wonder if that is a blessing or a curse.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi Tom,
We might not get hurricanes but we do have some very damaging storms, I remember in my former workplace, a few miles up the loch, were during one storm the windymometer was pinned on full scale deflection for 20 minutes, 55 knots of wind! I think that was the storm that blew a security kiosk off the road, over the fence and down onto the beach, with the guard inside!
Yesterdays little blow, maybe topping out at around force 8 so nothing extreme, managed to rip my garage doors open and nearly remove the end off the wooden garage, at least I was at home and saw it happen so I could go, shut the doors and put something heavy against them to keep them shut until I can fix the end and doors over the weekend. A little bit calmer and a lot less wet today, the engineer also got my boiler running again so I can burn a bunch more fossils! Same skirt on, blows around a bit but behaves itself. My favourite skirts for the house are a couple of skater skirts, they would be a bit wayward in those winds and a bit cool while the heating was broken! Also no pockets, I find that rather annoying.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Re: Skaters &c. Enjoy your freedom, B&B. Here we have a houseful as follows: MOH, 2 granddaughters, one boyfriend and one Gt granddaughter, who at 4 months and counting, would be the only resident who wouldn't bat an eye at GGD (Great Grandad) cavorting around in a skater!!

I just dug this pic out of the landing place chosen by that couple o' tonnes of galvanise & beams which might otherwise have flown across the Bay that night! Between the gate and the Conservatory, just nicking the base of that rather scrawny Cordyline behind my head. Take-off was behind the camera just beyond our perimeter wall.
Tab Kilted skirt at Kinard, Kerry.jpeg
Flight distance: Approx. 20 yards, a lot less than Kitty Hawk in 1903!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:13 amRe: Skaters &c. Enjoy your freedom, B&B. Here we have a houseful as follows: MOH, 2 granddaughters, one boyfriend and one Gt granddaughter, who at 4 months and counting, would be the only resident who wouldn't bat an eye at GGD (Great Grandad) cavorting around in a skater!!
And why should any one of 'em bat an eye -- save for the missus -- as you cut a fine figure in the pictured rig. (The missus ought to be flicking her eyelashes in anticipation if anything... :twisted: )
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Hour ago i hobbled out of my local ER to come home.
Broke my foot. At least i still have 1 good one.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Chirp wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:15 amHour ago i hobbled out of my local ER to come home.
Broke my foot. At least i still have 1 good one.
Sorry to hear about that bit of crap luck! Get better soon!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rotten luck, Chirp. Problem is, exercise regimes go out the window for a while as they take months to properly mend. I have to assume you're using a stick to help you get around. Long John Silver killed a former crewmember on Treasure Island by throwing his (crutch). Better keep the safety catch on on that weapon :wink:

Tom
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

All in all got off lucky, looking at 4 to 6 weeks of doing alot of nothing, I will be at work on Thursday. Just have someone else doing all the work,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Attaboy! When y' git to the top, just Delegate !

Tom
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

An hour ago I was pruning a thorny overgrown blackberry patch. I wasn't wearing a skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

With our continuing lockdown, Garden chores come to the fore. Our usual storm-laden destructive weather relented for a precious few days and two little gazebo tents over seats had their mangled metal supports replaced in wood.

Our little family 'bubble' has six of us on board and the recent fine weather allowed us to 'dine out', which was a joy. As it is the small hours here now, I'm stretching the 'an hour ago' a bit and talking about yesterday, when we witnessed the afternoon temps climb to a dizzying 11 deg. Centipede, helped in no small measure by wall-to-wall Sun. (Rare).

We have a pair of mallards, temporarily resident and they have made a well-concealed nest on the island now containing no fewer than 11 eggs! Devilishly difficult to photograph and best left alone.

March came in like a lamb here and is sure to go out like a lion, so we're preparing to hold on to our hats!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm
Kirbstone wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pmI've just heard from my Service agent that something called an EGR valve (something to do with exhaust regeneration? ) had failed,
"Recirculation". It's a tactic used to reduce peak combustion-chamber temperatures to cut down on the formation of oxides of Nitrogen. It probably stuck open and that likely caused first the loss of performance and subsequently the failure.
You can probably rig it permanently shut, and get better performance than the car has ever had, but it will fail any emissions testing it may need to be street legal...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

With the (to me) mind-boggling complication built into modern cars and stringent testing & regulations nowadays I just leave automotive complexities to the professionals and just drive the things.
I've just experienced the Brexit botch job at first hand. The supplier of Swedish Volvo parts to this Sainted Isle uses a UK-based depot with the result that I had to wait in excess of TEN DAYS for an essential part to be delivered. I'm more than delighted to have my limousine back again after such a wait.

Tom
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Tom's mention of a pair of Mallards made me flash back an hour to feeding an injured Kinkajou. A delightful little creature seldom seen by our kind as they reside high in the canopy during the day, and come out at night to forage. About a month ago one came to our balcony door in what almost seemed to be a plea for help. It was badly injured having had a front foot severed all but for one toe on the diagonal slice; a deep "V" cut in its tail, and a couple other comparatively minor injuries. Our best guess is that it had a bad crossing with electrical lines, that they are prone to use. The wounds were still raw and oozing blood, but no longer a serious blood loss continuing. I think it was weak and in shock. Anyway, we fed it -- an easy thing to do as we are both prone to eating fruit, and provided some shelter which it spurned in the end. However it did return the next night and seemed to have recovered a bit of energy, and an appetite! Observations over the next week seemed to suggest the injuries were not obviously infected and were healing slowly, but use of the right leg and tail were impaired. As it was surviving, and they have no significant natural enemies save being hunted by humans, there did not seem to be need to take it to the the rehab/rescue folk where it would have been confined to a cage and little more help for it...so we have continued to feed her. Locally known as "honeybears" as well -- she is a delight, very curious, and rather savvy and smart. My mother has named her "Kinky" and we've quite enjoyed our rare treat of having regular visits to our deck, where she will open the slider if not locked, or "knock" for attention when she comes calling for dinner. (We have had to keep her plate inside pending her arrival as too many other locals would happily join the free buffet feast.)
Her buffet will have to taper off before long, but we are waiting for the signs that she has regained some use of the leg which still obviously is tender and weak; and more use of the tail too as it is like a fifth arm for them. Meantime, we usually get an early evening visit and a bit of 'nature' that is seldom seen. [News flash -- just had a knock as I was finishing this, Kinky had returned for a second helping -- she had not cleaned her plate on the first visit!] So, my doings for the "past hour"!