Perhaps a Civil Saving Solution

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Perhaps a Civil Saving Solution

Post by r.m.anderson »

I am not much of a peacemaker.
These are difficult times to be one.
Offering a olive (peace) branch here.
Be respectful of what others think (and post).
You don't have to read or participate in that respect.

IDEA presented ---

The Skirtcafe is sectored into two parts - FASHION and PEOPLE
What about a third sector being created - moving the OFF TOPIC
from FASHION to that 3rd sector - calling it ?

OFF TOPIC
OFF LIMITS
FREE SPEECH (SOMETHING ELSE)
WHATEVER

Move this sector to the bottom of the web page -
Read and Post in that sector at your discretion -
Know that by participating in this area of discussion not everything
is going to be hunky dory and appeasing to everyone.
You NO LIKE those apples don't view post participate in any form here !

May even consider hiding the contents of this sector unless logging in
or clicking to get past an entry gate keeping this within the membership.

In closing I hope that we don't lose any of our members and that we will
have a place to respectfully disagree about what others think and post.
This will not be easy at first but give this IDEA some consideration.

Please no nuclear buttons pressed - Please let the Skirtcafe survive and flourish !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Perhaps a Civil Saving Solution

Post by Brad »

People must cooperate and listen to each other. There should be a fair exchange of ideas and ears that are open and a brain that is not judgmental. It would not be desirable to allow people to pontificate their views on each side with no meeting in the middle.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Brad wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 pm People must cooperate and listen to each other. There should be a fair exchange of ideas and ears that are open and a brain that is not judgmental. It would not be desirable to allow people to pontificate their views on each side with no meeting in the middle.
I'm 110% in agreement Brad, and yet, there is an idea that has gained much traction of late that runs directly opposite to this very sensible view. That idea is that certain ideas must not be allowed to even be stated. A corollary to this is that good manners are a tool of oppression used by some to silence others who have very good reason, and therefore a right, to express themselves without being polite. Another corollary is that if you are even willing to listen to views that should not be heard, you are enabling oppressors, which makes you as bad as them, and equally as undeserving of any kind of tolerance.

I am not kidding when I say this thinking has gone mainstream in certain circles, and is finally contributing to an overall climate of complete intemperance. Your view; the view we share; is a classically liberal view. I'm afraid that what we need is a bit more than a re-assertion of that view, however optimal it may be. We need an assertion of caring for one another enough to overlook our reactions to their ideas so that we can really hear them, not just their views and opinions but hear them.
Daryl...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

please explain "cancel culture" as it relates to your liberal views.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that there is the danger in that the section would end up being very inflammatory and resentments spilling over to other sections. There is the danger of inadvertent ostracism due to folks leaving this great site having taken offence at something posted. Not exactly a "cancel culture" directly but the effect could end up being the same. We are occasionally advised to respect each other and not be personal in our posts. Look what happens occasionally resulting in threads being locked. I just don't think that it's needed and fail to see the rationale behind the suggestion but nice try for the thought.

In a light-hearted posit: suppose Trump or some other radical becomes a member and uses the thread to post subversive ideas. Extreme perhaps, but once the door has been opened ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 pm In a light-hearted posit: suppose Trump or some other radical becomes a member and uses the thread to post subversive ideas. Extreme perhaps, but once the door has been opened ....
If Trump becomes a member here... he damned well better post a picture of himself in a skirt in pics and looks...

Do that and I'd welcome him. I bet he'd offer a unique insight to the joys and freedom of feeling the breeze between the legs... 8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I've no doubt Donald will continue to make himself accessible through social media. Perhaps someone ought to invite him to join SkirtCafe....

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

R.m while I think your idea is a start I think the underlying problem is no one realizes that each person comes from a different stand point.

While in all honesty you will never fully get away from Politics because if it’s eliminated here you still deal with it amongst other platforms.I think in the situation that lies here everyone can come in agreement that while it’s okay to love your country and even former and current President’s you have to take it in stride knowing that everyone won’t have the same views as you.I don’t hate our previous President in fact I will give him credit on certain things he’s done that’s changed in our country. However I’m the type of person that will call anyone out when they do wrong even if it means I have an army against me.The former President has to be held accountable just as our current President does as well.No if either were doing something I felt was wrong yes I’m going to say something about it.However I’ve come to see from observation of different threads that have lead into the political agenda that we do have some sensitive members in regards to when voicing our opinions on those they feel passionate about.Nothing wrong with liking something or someone as long as you realize you can’t change the views of others.We’re giving eyes to use to see and read.If you see a post isn’t going in the way you want it I suggest people stepping away from it and finding another thread to engage in.No I don’t condone either side bashing each other’s feelings or political views.As I’ve stated members here have to learn to agree to disagree.I get it’s hard to do that but be respectful in the other members who support Trump and the members who support Biden.I get that everyone’s scared in how our country is going to go but instead of everyone being against each other nows the time we work together not against.I’m for putting everything behind me because I get everybody has their own life issues to go through.Just a huge word of advice don’t start the threads and there will be nothing to complain over or moderate towards flame wars.Keep the political stuff for Facebook or other platforms and get back to supporting each other wearing skirts.I know from personal experience of moderating groups on Facebook and TikTok that it’s not an easy task so instead of everyone bickering we must let things go and resume back to more pleasant conversations.

If any insist on speaking about political issues take it to pms to discuss it among each other and keep it off threads.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by moonshadow » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:49 pm

Sinned wrote: ↑Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:12 pm
In a light-hearted posit: suppose Trump or some other radical becomes a member and uses the thread to post subversive ideas. Extreme perhaps, but once the door has been opened ....
If Trump becomes a member here... he damned well better post a picture of himself in a skirt in pics and looks...
Not quite a skirt, but I did see this today:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

oldsalt1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm please explain "cancel culture" as it relates to your liberal views.
From the timeline, I assume you are addressing me.

Cancel culture is basically just mob power. It is neither liberal nor conservative
but any tradition that I recognise as liberal must be completely opposed to it
when it is used to shut down dialogue either by threat or by damaging those
whose views they don't like.

Former president Obama sums it up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHLd8de6nM
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:18 pm I've no doubt Donald will continue to make himself accessible through social media. Perhaps someone ought to invite him to join SkirtCafe....
Tom
I upvote this idea!
Daryl...