Don't let the skirt fool you...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Don't let the skirt fool you...

Post by moonshadow »

... I can "red-neck" with the best of 'em.. :wink:

20210113_190307_resize_97.jpg
Thinga-ma-bobber in the tub spigot broke this morning, wasn't able to engage the shower head...

Since we'll be getting a new tub anyway in the next year or so, didn't see the need to buy anything at the store today, especially seeing as how I located a perfectly good hose bib in my box of random plumbing parts...

Total time invested: 20 minutes

Total cost: $0

Problem: RESOLVED :lol:

BONUS: I realize I can now get hot water on a garden hose if desired... :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Don't let the skirt fool you...

Post by crfriend »

Problem solved. Indeed.

Necessity is, after all, the mother of invention. 'Tis nice to see that that rule is still in force.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:18 am Problem solved. Indeed.

Necessity is, after all, the mother of invention. 'Tis nice to see that that rule is still in force.
That's sixteen years of "gettin' 'em through the weekend..." in practice! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

That Thinga-ma-bobber was that the diverter valve ?
The device that diverts the water from filling the tub to the
shower head.
You still have Hot & Cold mixing in either event ?

Yes see the ads all the time for new shower and tub or
walk-in tub in same day - upgraded plumbing needed
behind the cosmetic walls - what a few panels of space
age plastic will do to enhance the bathroom.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

And a walk in shower is not cheap as I well know I had to have one installed to replace the old tub since it was getting harder to climb over the 2 ft side wall..

It cost me over 9000.00 USD. But they did a bang up job starting with the demo of the old tub and shower. The crew arrived at 9AM and went right to work and by noon it was bare walls and holes in the floor where plumbing was to go. then they started to rework the floor and walls to support the new shower. Redid the plumbing and installed the new shower with a seat and grab handles for safety. They were done by 6PM including all of the clean up required since they also had to remove dry wall so there was a lot of dust.
They actually left the bathroom cleaner than they found it.

By the way a walk in tub will set you back at least 20,000 USD. One with a shower add another 6to7 grand to the price.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

At last check, I priced an acceptable and stylish tub at Lowes for about $300, and the surrounds around $200.

Of course I'll have to replaced the rotted floor beneath the tub, so I'd need piece of plywood along with perhaps some other odd ends for carpentry.

I should be able to procure the hot/cold spigot and shower head for under $50.

I do expect this to take a full day, maybe two depending on issues.

I've already installed three tubs in my life, one in my home in Bedford VA, I replaced dad's cracked tub in his trailer around 2002, and I replaced a tub in an old run down house in Pulaski.

I can manage it, but getting the old tub out is going to suck. I'd like to keep it in one piece and perhaps locate an old farmer who'd like to have it (for free of course) to water cattle...

...or just keep it and use it as a lawn ornament! :lol:
-Andrea
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Common engineering principle:

If it's stupid and it works, then it's not stupid.

When you do the tub upgrade, I highly recommend getting one of the pressure balancing shower valves and replacing those two basic valves. It takes away the fear of another water valve coming on and blowing the shower temp.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am I can manage it, but getting the old tub out is going to suck. I'd like to keep it in one piece and perhaps locate an old farmer who'd like to have it (for free of course) to water cattle...

...or just keep it and use it as a lawn ornament! :lol:
I thought the redneck lawn ornament was a toilet bowl with pansies growing out of it!!
:rofl: :rofl: :laff: :hide:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 pm I thought the redneck lawn ornament was a toilet bowl with pansies growing out of it!!
Now that you mention it, the original green toilet for the house still holds a place of honor in a junk heap behind the old barn...

No pansies growing out of it, but Mother Nature has definitely taken over...

Can you spot the 1950's porcelain throne in this photo?? :mrgreen:
20210114_165450_resize_38_compress6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Well done. I had major diverter issues at an old place I rented years ago, that looks like a more reliable valve...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kingfish wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 pmIf it's stupid and it works, then it's not stupid.
I quite like that concept, but it needs to work in off-normal situations as well as normal situations.

Sometimes being clever is not being smart.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ha! Before you know it the gen z kids will be ripping out their standard spigots and installing these for the "rustic look"...! :lol:
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:43 pm Ha! Before you know it the gen z kids will be ripping out their standard spigots and installing these for the "rustic look"...! :lol:
Start an Etsy shop before the hipsters do. Mark them up 1000%, make sure they are good and patina'd.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 am
moonshadow wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:43 pm Ha! Before you know it the gen z kids will be ripping out their standard spigots and installing these for the "rustic look"...! :lol:
Start an Etsy shop before the hipsters do. Mark them up 1000%, make sure they are good and patina'd.
Zero times a thousand percent is still zero man...! :P :lol:
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:15 am
Coder wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 am
Zero times a thousand percent is still zero man...! :P :lol:
Nah, you have to buy new valves and "refurbish" them to look like a random part from the bin. They cost a little bit of money. You could even sell lead free variants for the health conscious :P