If the world were a logical place

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

If the world were a logical place

Post by Fred in Skirts »

If the world were a logical place.

Men would be the ones who ride horses sidesaddle.

Show me a man with both feet firmly on the ground, and I’ll show you a man who can’t get his pants off.

Is it me –or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he’ll never be able to merge his car onto the freeway.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: If the world were a logical place

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:34 pmTeach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he’ll never be able to merge his car onto the freeway.
At least not today what with all the other bad behaviour and driverless cars [0].

I got my primary lesson in freeway driving in the late 1970s when I went from living in a sleepy little suburb of Providence, RI to commuting to/from technical school on MA Rt 128 ("America's Technology Highway", back when it was [1]). That was a wakeup call, I can tell you! 1960s and 1970s era cars doing 70 MPH quite close to bumper-to-bumper four-abreast in places -- and it all worked, because all of us were paying attention, which is something you don't get today. Far from being a sign of weakness, use of the turn-signal ("Use ya blinkah!") was a sign of respect, and would open up a 1.2 car-length slot for you to move over into as you merged to the right to take an exit you knew was two miles distant and you needed to work across three lanes to get there (with the hole you left rapidly filling in).

[0] Driverless car: n: Any vehicle allegedly piloted by a humanoid who is (a) on a cell' 'phone, (b) fiddling with the prat-nav, or (c) otherwise critically distracted from the actual task of driving.
[1] Long before Silicone [sic] Valley got its start, the home of the computer revolution was Massachusetts. I was lucky enough to be here for part of it. Sadly, it's all gone to sh!t since.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Fred in Skirts » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:34 pm

If the world were a logical place.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he’ll never be able to merge his car onto the freeway.
The world of driving is a "wonder" indeed. It might be fun to get some of the member's views on grand places to, or not to drive: I'd nominate Lima, Peru as one of the wildest spots I've encountered -- MOH says traffic there is like a rocky river, things just flow into gaps and eddies with no visible reason --a left turn across four lanes of of bumper to bumper traffic from the right lane -- just do it! Montreal in winter is worth a note -- 4 lanes at 90+KMH on a highway where the lanes are completely obscured by ice....keeps your heart rate up. There are other's on my list, but some engage as many two-wheeled, man, mule, or bike pulled trailers and such that they don't offer a chance for fair competition; Nairobi, Kenya can offer some interesting site-seeing as you plod along, and if you wish, you could probably furnish your house, pantry, and closet in route! Here in Costa Rica, finding a way to advance to the front of the miles of people waiting their turn to get on the circumlocution or merge to the one lane bridge is a great way to show your cojones! :bom:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Why is it that the smartest people in the world are unable to foolproof anything?
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

..we wouldn’t have religion :-)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know, I've always been told that "if grasshoppers had machine guns, crows wouldn't eat them!"
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Contemplate cats with opposable thumbs...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH breeds Bengals. To see kittens playing around and picking up straws in their paws is a sight to behold. Awkward maybe but they can do it. Yes, glad that they don't have opposable thumbs.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.